Singh takes NDP leadership

techrtr
Übergod

Re: Singh takes NDP leadership

Post by techrtr »

As someone else has said, why is it okay for someone like Singh to openly wear his religious faith on his sleeve (or his head and in his belt), when it probably wouldn't be okay for a political leader to openly display their Christian, Jewish, or Muslim beliefs. He's not going to fly in Quebec were people demand absolute separation of church and state. Since Ontario and Quebec pretty much decide who's going to run the country, I would guess that the NDP, in their rush to out Liberal the Liberals have shot themselves in the foot.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Thanks for that. Wow, day one on the job and already performing like he has been
a weathered politician for years. So much for something new. That is disappointing.

techrtr wrote:As someone else has said, why is it okay for someone like Singh to openly wear his religious faith on his sleeve (or his head and in his belt), when it probably wouldn't be okay for a political leader to openly display their Christian, Jewish, or Muslim beliefs.

Just wondering - Is there some reason you would believe it probably wouldn't be okay
for a political leader to openly display their Christian, Jewish, or Muslim beliefs?

(granted, a crucifix worn around the neck, or on a lapel pin, is not going to garner
as much attention as a turban and ceremonial dagger)
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Because this is Canada. We like our politicians to be very middle of the road, conventional, and not openly religious. On the other hand, in the US, conservative Christian beliefs can be a very important selling point for politicians.

Singh might be charismatic and suave. He might have been born in Canada, but this whole Sikh thing is going to hurt him in the end, especially if he keeps dancing around the Air India issue.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

techrtr wrote: Singh might be charismatic and suave. He might have been born in Canada, but this whole Sikh thing is going to hurt him in the end, especially if he keeps dancing around the Air India issue.

Trudeau was charismatic (it wears off), and Andy? - well he's Andy and he's just not ready.
I wonder. Are we going to once again be looking for the least worst to pick from ?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

singh might not be leader next election who knows . but i do know most canadians see past his faith as most do not participate in it and it really isnt a thought most open minded canadians think about. but we do have andy who openly wears his right wing christian values with no remorse of any of it . ok fair enough. then we have jt who i believe pretends to be christian and is more like trump when it comes to running a country from a enviromental point of view. i dont think as person jt is as with out morals as trump is .

i think looking at it that way mr singh still is not as bad as jt and andy in my opinion :130:
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Ka-El wrote:Trudeau was charismatic (it wears off), and Andy? - well he's Andy and he's just not ready.

That's what they said about Robert Stanfield in 1972, and he just about beat Justin's evil dad.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Stanfield's brand wasn't quite right - somehow long underwear just isn't all that exciting a brand.

Where the NDP really have a problem is that the BC NDP are going one direction, the Alberta NDP are going another, and the federal NDP are goofing around with LEAPERs... just what? Does the NDP stand for anymore?

They sure don't seem to be standing up for the average union worker. Don't want to build anything, anywhere, at any time etc. etc.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

They sure don't seem to be standing up for the average union worker. Don't want to build anything, anywhere, at any time etc. etc.

this is pure hogwash as the fastest growing sector is green jobs which the ndp leads on :130: :smt045
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

So you’re saying Scheer might “almost” beat Justin Trudeau [icon_lol2.gif]
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

maryjane48 wrote: this is pure hogwash as the fastest growing sector is green jobs which the ndp leads on :130: :smt045

you keep saying this, with no basis whatsoever to back it up. What the hell is a "Green job"? And can you name any "green jobs" that aren't supported 100% by taxpayer cash?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Omnitheo wrote:So you’re saying Scheer might “almost” beat Justin Trudeau [icon_lol2.gif]

Is this directed at me? If so, yeah, that's what I'm saying. I'd be happy with JT getting a minority next election, as he's proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he just wasn't ready for the job, and definitely not ready for a majority.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

hobbyguy wrote:the federal NDP are goofing around with LEAPERs

This is the biggest reason the Federal NDP lost my support.

It's no secret I liked Tom Mulcair and his policies, and as far as I'm concerned it was the public statements of the Leapers that cost Tom his chance to be PM.

Those statements were deliberately designed to make sure that a Leader who was taking the Party in a direction the Leapers didn't want to see it taken was denied the chance to do so, even though they knew it would result in the NDP losing the election. A classic case of ideology over practicality.

Ironically, with Singh at the helm, I think much of what the Leapers stood for is probably going to go the way of the do-do bird anyway. Which is a good thing. And I don't give a darn about his cultural background and/or religion providing it doesn't influence his policies. But I am concerned that he won the leadership by selling memberships to people who support him mainly because of his cultural background and religious faith rather than his public policies. And if that's so, we could wind up with a Leader who says one thing, but ends up doing another.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Omnitheo wrote:So you’re saying Scheer might “almost” beat Justin Trudeau

Provided Scheer doesn't veer too far to the right he just might have a chance of beating Trudeau. Particularly if Trudeau continues with his current arrogant "playboy" style. JT frequently comes across as a "rich kid who likes hanging around with other rich people" as opposed to being a statesman representing us ordinary folk. And it's hurting him.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

maryjane48 wrote:

this is pure hogwash as the fastest growing sector is green jobs which the ndp leads on :130: :smt045

MJ - "fer cryin' out loud, "green" jobs are largely a myth. Governments go down the garden path that Elon Musk and others have crafted for them, then get stuck, like Ontario, forking out subsidies to create jobs that are so called "green" - and when the subsidies go away, so do the jobs. So then governments start "reclassifying" jobs as "green" jobs. Garbage collectors pick up some recycling - and become "green" workers. Pipefitters tha work on pollution controls systems become "green" workers.

Tis very largely just a scam.

https://www.forbes.com/2011/04/11/green-jobs-fracking-opinions-jerry-taylor-peter-van-doren.html

"Three other rather straight-forward problems arise in the reports marshaled to justify the administration’s green jobs campaign. First, new government employees hired to oversee this green energy shift are counted as “new jobs created.” Second, existing jobs are recategorized from brown to green if employers meet some bureaucratically dictated definitional shift to “greenness,” and those jobs are misleadingly tallied as “new jobs created.” Third, most new manufacturing jobs created to build the equipment necessary for new green power plants are assumed to come from U.S. manufacturers, a highly unlikely prospect given that most of the manufacturers at issue are overseas. Hence, the tallies of job creation from policies designed to promote green energy are about as reliable as Enron balance sheets."

Smart Meter installation is counted as "green" jobs. But how many jobs are actually created? http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/25/AR2010022503945.html

" typically takes a team of two certified electricians half an hour to replace the old, spinning meter. In one day, two people can install about 15 new meters, or about 5,000 in a year. Were a million smart meters to be installed in a year, 400 installation jobs would be created. It follows that the planned U.S. deployment of 20 million smart meters over five years, or 4 million per year, should create 1,600 installation jobs. Unless more meters are added to the annual deployment schedule, this workforce of 1,600 should cover installation needs for the next five years.

Although a surge of new digital meters will be produced, the manufacturing process is highly automated. And with much of it accomplished overseas, net creation in domestic manufacturing jobs is expected to be only in the hundreds. In R&D and IT services, high-paying white-collar jobs are on the horizon, but as with manufacturing, the number of jobs created is forecast to be in the hundreds or low thousands.

Now let's consider job losses. It takes one worker today roughly 15 minutes to read a single meter. So in a day, a meter reader can scan about 30 meters, or about 700 meters a month. Meters are typically read once a month, making it the base period to calculate meter-reading jobs. Reading a million meters every month engages about 1,400 personnel. In five years, 20 million manually read meters are expected to disappear, taking with them some 28,000 meter-reading jobs.

In other words, instead of creating jobs, smart metering will probably result in net job destruction. This should not be surprising because the main method of making the electrical grid "smart" is by automating its functions. Automation by definition obviates the need for people. "

So in that case 1,600 temporary "green" jobs displaces 28,000 ordinary jobs. Ummm.. that's not "job creation". I do question the 28,000 jobs lost, it seems feasible but somewhat exaggerated (hard to verify).

So most of your "green" jobs are either temporary and displacing regular jobs, created by subsidies, or they are just bureaucratic bean counting "reclassification" to make politicians who got hold of the wrong end of the stick look good. Did you know that all BC Hydro employees are now "green" workers? Very few new "green" jobs created, but sure looks good on paper and sucks in the gullible.

Did you know that concrete production workers have "green" jobs in many jurisdictions because they are making concrete for dams or wind turbine foundations? Do you see how silly the whole thing is?

You will notice that nobody in the "green" lobby/advocacy industry ever wants to talk about "net jobs"??

Australia, by offering massive subsidies, created a LOT of solar installation "green" jobs. Temporary jobs. The subsidies are going away and new installations are dropping off quickly. In the process they drove up electricity prices and caused rolling blackouts.

Since Australia started down the "green" path, 190,000 manufacturing jobs have gone "poof". Toyota and GM are closing their auto plants in Australia - and part of that is that they can not reliably run 3 shifts. Another 5,000 directly employed union jobs (at very good wages) down the drain. How many parts manufacturing jobs etc. etc. to go with them? I don't know. What I do know is that they have no comparable union jobs available for all those people. Some of those manufacturing jobs would have been lost to automation anyway, but not 190,000++.

Think about this: Solar panels aren't made in Canada. Wind turbines aren't made in Canada (they were, temporarily - when the dimbulb "green" thinkers in Ontario paid for the jobs with subsidies - but as soon as the subsidies stopped - the plants were closed). As far as I know, all the mainstream electric cars are made in place like Smyrna, Tennessee etc., not in Canada.

So the whole stuff and nonsense about a new "green" economy is just NDP LEAPER pipe dreaming. It is just a marketing ploy for the gullible. And going down that road means that the NDP are NOT protecting union jobs.

Now tell me again that NDP wishy washy LEAPER "green" jobs are real.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Singh wants to repeal the gay blood ban. So those with a risky lifestyle can have their blood and organ products accepted. He wants all drugs legalized. Wants to cut CO2 emissions by 2/3rds by 2025. What a dork.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.

Return to “Canada”