School Board removes the title of Chief

my5cents
Guru

Re: School Board removes the title of Chief

Post by my5cents »

Chyren wrote:This isn't a BASH THE NATIVE's thread which is common around here.

This was a School Board decision. My point is that we're now doing things "just because."

Calling someone Chief as part of their job is IN NO WAY a slant against anyone. I just feel we're getting further and further away from being "rational" instead of Politically correct.

Personally I wasn't blaming the indigenous, I was pointing out how ridiculous it is to attempt to eliminate a word that existed before new residents of North America used it to describe the leaders of the indigenous residents. It's completely ridiculous.

It would, however, be refreshing to hear indigenous people speak up and point out that the word isn't insulting to them (assuming it's not).

One of the terms to describe a male was "brave", do we eliminate that too ? Where does it stop ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Chyren wrote:https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/10/10/title-of-chief-phased-out-across-the-toronto-school-board.html

This is getting out of hand.

If I have said it once I have said it a 1000 times as long as we elect and allow liberals to run society it will be the ultimate ruination of our country;; mark my words and the fact people bow to the pc liberal pressures further astounds me
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Pretty sad that something as petty as this is even a consideration. Curious as to how much tax dollars the School Board plundered on such a ridiculous thing?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

dontrump wrote:If I have said it once I have said it a 1000 times as long as we elect and allow liberals to run society it will be the ultimate ruination of our country;; mark my words and the fact people bow to the pc liberal pressures further astounds me

It truly is a race to the bottom.

Looked at individually most of these PC "flavour of the day" issues on their own are more or less insignificant however the cumulative effect is like a death of a thousand cuts.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

If I have said it once I have said it a 1000 times as long as we elect and allow liberals to run society it will be the ultimate ruination of our country;; mark my words and the fact people bow to the pc liberal pressures further astounds me
or you could think of it as canada growing up :130:
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

maryjane48 wrote:or you could think of it as canada growing up

You really don't get it do you.

Nobody is saying certain terms that are derogatory shouldn't be eliminated, such as "squaw", but "chief" is a descriptor used hundreds of years before it was ever used to describe the leader of an indigenous tribe. It meant and means a leader. A leader of anything, a country "Commander in Chief", a corporation "Chief Executive Officer", etc.

Is it OK to use the team tribe ?

Do we stop using every word ever used to describe anything related to indigenous people ?

Even the term "Indian" that I'm sure you find demeaning is really a term that shows how wrong the Europeans were, they thought they found a shortcut to India !

So, what are we going to call the leader of all the bands ? Sorry, is "band" OK ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Can we still scalp tickets?

Maryjane Said THIS! - "or you could think of it as Canada growing up"
Or, you could think of it as the indigenous growing down.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Very brave move on the school board's part. Is it okay to use that term? Brave?
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

my5cents wrote:
maryjane48 wrote:or you could think of it as canada growing up

You really don't get it do you.

Nobody is saying certain terms that are derogatory shouldn't be eliminated, such as "squaw", but "chief" is a descriptor used hundreds of years before it was ever used to describe the leader of an indigenous tribe. It meant and means a leader. A leader of anything, a country "Commander in Chief", a corporation "Chief Executive Officer", etc.

Is it OK to use the team tribe ?

Do we stop using every word ever used to describe anything related to indigenous people ?

Even the term "Indian" that I'm sure you find demeaning is really a term that shows how wrong the Europeans were, they thought they found a shortcut to India !

So, what are we going to call the leader of all the bands ? Sorry, is "band" OK ?

Jewish people sometimes refer to themselves as "The Tribe." Maybe they should stop that lest they offend a First Nations person who thinks that word is an insult or historically inaccurate
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

techrtr wrote:Jewish people sometimes refer to themselves as "The Tribe." Maybe they should stop that lest they offend a First Nations person who thinks that word is an insult or historically inaccurate

"The English word tribe occurs in 12th-century Middle English-literature as referring to one of the twelve tribes of Israel. The word is from Old French tribu, in turn from Latin tribus, referring to the original tripartite ethnic division of the Ancient Roman state: "

Considering the actual origin of these words and the fact they do not originate from First Nations I see no reason not to continue with their use.

That School Board needs to rethink this and quit being so stupid.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

j watson wrote:Very brave move on the school board's part. Is it okay to use that term? Brave?

is the school board in the red or black, can we even use these terms now ??
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

This is blatant cultural appropriation of my Scottish heritage!
First Nations should not be able to use the title of "Chief" for their band leaders!

Class action suite incoming!
Justine you little twerp!
Where are my millions??!! :biggrin:
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

and that's the truth
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

the truth wrote:and that's the truth

Well your version anyway.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

more like history's version

Return to “Canada”