Uncover Faces in Quebec

seewood
Guru

Re: Uncover Faces in Quebec

Post by seewood »

Prestige Mike wrote: Until there are a bunch of robberies involving niqabs I think it is best to not discriminate against Muslim women who wear the Niqab.

I agree, however playing devils advocate of sorts, one can "what if" the debate till Christmas.
The burka and niqabs have been used by the Israeli special forces( can't find the link but believe it was in the Gaza strip), Britain's SAS and https://news.vice.com/article/male-suic ... ds-capital and http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -four.html

Now I truly hope it is not nor ever will be an issue, however if it ever does happen in North America, let alone Canada, attitudes will change I bet.

I don't know the answer, but just saying, might be something to consider...
Am I creating drama by suggesting something nefarious, no intention to.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Prestige Mike
Board Meister

Post by Prestige Mike »

That is fair to bring up Seewood. As you said, hopefully this doesn't become an issue here. One of those examples is from Chad, and the other from Saudi Arabia. It looks like this is an extremely rare strategy used by terrorists at the moment.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Prestige Mike wrote:A cowboy hat and glasses does almost the same job. Until there are a bunch of robberies involving niqabs I think it is best to not discriminate against Muslim women who wear the Niqab.

That's right, being reactive is always the best strategy. Wait for someone to get killed, then take action even though there have been plenty of warnings.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

that's the left for ya
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

[icon_lol2.gif]
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

like i said [icon_lol2.gif]
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Prestige Mike wrote:A cowboy hat and glasses does almost the same job. Until there are a bunch of robberies involving niqabs I think it is best to not discriminate against Muslim women who wear the Niqab.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/b ... -1.2840489
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

says it all,^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

The Green Barbarian wrote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/b ... -1.2840489

What a surprise! Religious facial coverings used to commit a crime??!!

Somebody. Call 9-1-1 for me !
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

This is an on the fence issue for me. On one hand I see it as a symbol of oppressing women. On the other I don't agree with telling a grown woman what they can wear. I haven't heard a really solid argument to sway me either way.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

I can see the argument for legal identification purpose (ie. not getting on a bus), but still hold the more libertarian view that “if what you are doing is not hurting you or anyone else, then it is not the business of anyone else – especially the government”
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

JLives wrote:This is an on the fence issue for me. On one hand I see it as a symbol of oppressing women. On the other I don't agree with telling a grown woman what they can wear. I haven't heard a really solid argument to sway me either way.

these women do not want to wear this, there husbands force them to wear it
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

JLives wrote:This is an on the fence issue for me. On one hand I see it as a symbol of oppressing women. On the other I don't agree with telling a grown woman what they can wear. I haven't heard a really solid argument to sway me either way.

Maybe they are dressing this way for self protection from men and their uncontrollable desires?

(I hope that came out okay? It's a touchy subject, I know) OOOoooppps again, I just don't know how to broach this subject without using words that others may take offence to. I am sincerely trying to offer suggestions.
Maybe, I should just shut up and stay out?
Bring back the LIKE button.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

How about this? I have no problem believing that the women who wear burkas in Canada are wearing them willingly. But the question is why. The answer is because they have been programmed from birth to accept this treatment. Read some of Aayan Hirsi Ali's books. Brilliant insight.

"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

techrtr wrote:That's right, being reactive is always the best strategy. Wait for someone to get killed, then take action even though there have been plenty of warnings.

Obviously being reactive is not the best - or even a good - strategy. However, these sort of policies should be based on a proper risk assessment. Establishing the impact, likelihood and frequency of these hazards, imposing counter measures, then re-evaluating the risk. So "warnings" aren't the be-all, end-all of applying proactive security processes.

That being said, I obviously wasn't involved nor do I have access to any risk assessment that was done in this case. So while I can provide clarification in how these decisions are made, I cannot clarify whether the correct steps were taken in this particular case.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.

Return to “Canada”