Uncover Faces in Quebec

FreeRights
Guru

Re: Uncover Faces in Quebec

Post by FreeRights »

the truth wrote:these women do not want to wear this, there husbands force them to wear it

This is not a true statement at all. There are obviously examples where they where it because the husband wants them to, but this is absolutely not true in all cases.

But let's assume that it's true for a second. Is the solution to women not being afforded the freedom to choose whether or not to wear the burka, further forcing them, through rule of law, not to wear it? Based on this argument alone, I think responding to a women's rights situation with a law that further denies them the freedom of choice somewhat backwards.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

As a Muslim, I Think Canada Should Ban the Niqab and Burka in Public

The niqab and burka have nothing to do with Islam.

In November 2004, the Chief Justice of the Peshawar High Court (PHC), Tariq Pervaiz Khan, ordered female lawyers not to wear face veils in courtrooms, saying they couldn't be identified, nor assist the court properly while wearing veils.

He scolded the niqabi women saying,"You are professionals."

Covering the face is not a religious requirement for Muslim women.

The injunction in the Qur'an is for modesty (for men and women).

There is just one way forward: The next government must legislate the complete ban on wearing face masks in public, not just to expose the hypocrisy of the Islamists but for the sake of our security as well.

Read the rest here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/raheel-raz ... 89112.html

I know this to be true due to my DIL's parents who are staunch and world-travelled Muslims.
Chill
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Security is definitely one argument, though I'm unsure how extended their qualitative or quantitative data suggests that it presents a hazard.

I'm still not on board with legislating a woman's choice because they aren't given the choice of whether or not to wear it. There's literally so many other things we can do to raise that awareness rather than further restrict women's choice.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

I find it interesting to question this from several angles.

Is this about women? What if men also wore the niqab and burqua. Would we be comfortable allowing that?

Is this about religion and is religion the only justification? Because a requirement of the niqab is not found in scripture. What if more people, any or all people, just chose to cover their faces fully for any reason at all. Would we be comfortable with our society changing in that way?

Is this about culture? In Canada, it is our custom to relate and interact with people, using the full sight of each others faces for much non verbal communication. Are we ready to give that up?

Is this about a small number of people doing something that we don't think will ever really affect us? Do we think these women won't ever occupy a full position in society anyway? But would we be comfortable being pulled over by an RCMP officer in a niqab? Would you want your child's teacher wearing a niqab, never showing her face to her students? Would you want her explaining to your daughter that she wears it as a symbol of modesty because men shouldn't see her face?

As a Canadian, I am not really ready to go there. I expect to see a person's face. And I don't think it is ok to accept the niqab based on the fact that it is a small number of only women who don't really occupy many visible public positions as of yet.

Return to “Canada”