"Cannabis gummy bears"

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: "Cannabis gummy bears"

Post by Fancy »

capleton wrote:I think this is just scare mongering by the RCMP

Where does the scare mongering by the RCMP come in?
Authorities in northern Quebec are warning people to be on the lookout for cannabis-laced gummy bears as Halloween approaches.

They say provincial police recently intercepted a shipment of the drugs in a vehicle that was heading to one of the Cree communities in the Eeyou Istchee James Bay Territory.

Eeyou Eenou police and the regional public health board said in a joint news release that the candies were laced with THC, the ingredient found in cannabis.

They say they still don't know how much of the drug is in each candy and are treating the issue as a potential poisoning risk.

A provincial police spokesman confirmed the recent arrest but said an investigation showed the drugs were not intended for Halloween distribution.

Sgt. Daniel Thibaudeau says that while the seized items weren't aimed at children, it's always a good idea for parents to check their childrens' Halloween candy.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

"Poisoning risk" and "recent arrest", yet not one person has ever died from cannabis "poisoning" , the Canadian government is in the process of legalizing It, yet they are still arresting people over it...
Good grief.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Calls to poison control are up and children have been hospitalized.
The seized drugs are gummy bear candies laced with THC, the ingredient found in cannabis. The gummy bears look the same as regular candy (same shape and colours), some are even sealed in a plastic wrapper as a regular candy would be.

At the moment we do not know how much drug is in in each candy. We are treating this as a serious risk for potential poisoning.

http://www.creehealth.org/news/communit ... hee-region

This should be under Canada since this happened in Quebec.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I've taken so much thc that I shoulda been hospitalized.
Doesn't mean I was in any danger.

Nobody has ever died from thc.

It's all fear mongering imo.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I haven't said anything about death and neither have the news reports I've read so far but some of the incidents involving children have been serious and these things are toxic to dogs.

According to the arrest report, the 3-year-old said she didn’t feel good after eating several of the gummy bears. She then started to fade in and out of consciousness and was rushed to a nearby hospital.

While at the hospital, the 5-year-old victim also got sick.

http://wwlp.com/2017/07/01/2-kids-hospi ... -arrested/
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Bman wrote:I've taken so much thc that I shoulda been hospitalized.

True enough, but just think. Without all that THC in your system you may have become Wealthy, Powerful, and Famous.
Instead of the way you are.
You know.
Hanging around here.
With us.
Black Dogs Matter
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Adults have been charged with endangering children - children are kept in hospital because of the reaction to THC.
The most common symptoms were excessive sleepiness, dizziness, and trouble walking. However, a few became too sleepy and their breathing slowed down. That could mean the child doesn't get enough oxygen. Fortunately, none of these children died.
Some children throw up and some children have been given IV's and oxygen. Obviously some posters don't take the situation seriously but when children end up in intensive care for treatment, that's serious.
https://www.poison.org/articles/2013-de ... -marijuana
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Maybe this will help some to understand:
Definition
Poisoning occurs when any substance interferes with normal body functions after it is swallowed, inhaled, injected, or absorbed. The branch of medicine that deals with the detection and treatment of poisons is known as toxicology.
Poisons are common in the home and workplace, yet there are basically two major types. One group consists of products that were never meant to be ingested or inhaled, such as shampoo, paint thinner, pesticides, houseplant leaves, and carbon monoxide. The other group contains products that can be ingested in small quantities, but which are harmful if taken in large amounts, such as pharmaceuticals, medicinal herbs, or alcohol.

Read more: http://www.healthofchildren.com/P/Poiso ... z4x0ZJlcBS
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

This makes no sense.Why would or should you be hospitalized if you weren't in any danger?

Some schools of thought believe consumption of cannabis or its active ingredient THC can trigger schizophrenia, particularly in the youthful years. No one should be unwittingly subjected to the ingestion of drugs. legal or not, it makes no difference.
Someone has to say it.
capleton
Banned

Post by capleton »

Fancy wrote:
capleton wrote:I think this is just scare mongering by the RCMP

Where does the scare mongering by the RCMP come in?
Authorities in northern Quebec are warning people to be on the lookout for cannabis-laced gummy bears as Halloween approaches.

They say provincial police recently intercepted a shipment of the drugs in a vehicle that was heading to one of the Cree communities in the Eeyou Istchee James Bay Territory.

Eeyou Eenou police and the regional public health board said in a joint news release that the candies were laced with THC, the ingredient found in cannabis.

They say they still don't know how much of the drug is in each candy and are treating the issue as a potential poisoning risk.

A provincial police spokesman confirmed the recent arrest but said an investigation showed the drugs were not intended for Halloween distribution.

Sgt. Daniel Thibaudeau says that while the seized items weren't aimed at children, it's always a good idea for parents to check their childrens' Halloween candy.

It's the police who are saying that because they arrested some people who had in their possession cannabis gummy bears, that suddenly all the candy is laced even after the RCMP admitted that those gummy bears were not being used for Halloween. Sounds like fear mongering and propaganda to me.
You sound like a good propagandist for prohibitionists, let the fear flow through you. Your articles that you post are ridiculous, even if a kid does consume a cannabis product which no one wants, it is not the end of the world weed is the safest drug in the world, no one has died from weed unlike pharmaceutical drugs, booze and tobacco.
Last edited by capleton on Oct 30th, 2017, 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

generalposter wrote:

This makes no sense.Why would or should you be hospitalized if you weren't in any danger?

Some schools of thought believe consumption of cannabis or its active ingredient THC can trigger schizophrenia, particularly in the youthful years. No one should be unwittingly subjected to the ingestion of drugs. legal or not, it makes no difference.

Sorry - you lost me at "Some schools of thought" - because other "schools of thought" are adamant that it can have the exact opposite effect. I prefer facts and factual evidence. No one was being subjected to unwittingly ingesting drugs, which is what the initial hullabaloo in this thread was all about - fear-mongering. The title of the Castanet article said "Beware Cannabis Candy" - then went on to explain that it had nothing to do with Halloween candy - or children being exposed to it. Fake news click bait titles.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Fancy wrote:Adults have been charged with endangering children - children are kept in hospital because of the reaction to THC.
The most common symptoms were excessive sleepiness, dizziness, and trouble walking. However, a few became too sleepy and their breathing slowed down. That could mean the child doesn't get enough oxygen. Fortunately, none of these children died.
Some children throw up and some children have been given IV's and oxygen. Obviously some posters don't take the situation seriously but when children end up in intensive care for treatment, that's serious.
https://www.poison.org/articles/2013-de ... -marijuana

Seriously - just stop posting this over-dramatic, over-reacting drivel, as the ineptly headed article clearly stated it had nothing to do with Halloween candy - and no children were even involved. Fake news and click bait story title.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

capleton wrote:It's the police who are saying that because they arrested some people who had in their possession cannabis gummy bears, that suddenly all the candy is laced even after the RCMP admitted that those gummy bears were not being used for Halloween. Sounds like fear mongering and propaganda to me.
You sound like a good propagandist for prohibitionists, let the fear flow through you. Your articles that you post are ridiculous, even if a kid does consume a cannabis product which no one wants, it is not the end of the world weed is the safest drug in the world, no one has died from weed unlike pharmaceutical drugs, booze and tobacco.

Where does the RCMP fit in here? It wasn't the RCMP that were involved but Quebec provincial police. The warning was directed to the Cree communities by the Eeyou Eenou police and the regional public health board. The fear mongering appears coming from you. Nobody said
that suddenly all the candy is laced
and nobody said anyone has died. There's nothing wrong with pointing out the perils of accidental poisoning nor being made aware of the possibility and what to watch out for. That's not fear mongering. Doesn't appear you have even read the article nor realize where this took place. I'm certainly not a prohibitionist but like any other drug these things need to be stored properly and out of the hands of children.
Last edited by Fancy on Oct 31st, 2017, 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

WalterWhite wrote:Seriously - just stop posting this over-dramatic, over-reacting drivel, as the ineptly headed article clearly stated it had nothing to do with Halloween candy - and no children were even involved. Fake news and click bait story title.

No one said the seizure had anything to do with Halloween so I don't see how it was fake news. I read quite a few articles and understand what it is about. Nothing fake about warning a Cree community of a potential possibility.
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/201 ... oween.html
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

WalterWhite wrote:The title of the Castanet article said "Beware Cannabis Candy" - then went on to explain that it had nothing to do with Halloween candy - or children being exposed to it. Fake news click bait titles.

Did you even read the article? The title of a news article normally is explained in the article itself but in this case, the title is "Watch for cannabis candy" ( Oct 29, 2017 / 12:15 pm ) and never mentioned Halloween in the title and was posted correctly under Canada. You didn't even get the title right. This thread was moved from Central Okanagan because it didn't have anything to do with it.
Last edited by Fancy on Oct 31st, 2017, 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Canada”