"Cannabis gummy bears"

capleton
Banned

"Cannabis gummy bears"

Post by capleton »

I think this is just scare mongering by the RCMP and prohibitionist groups. No one with a supply would just suddenly lace gummy bears with cannabis and distribute it around because it would cost a lot and distributing it freely around the province would not generate any profit whatsoever. It reminds me of that 1930's show reefer madness and the other propaganda and lies that Senator Anslinger made up to create fear around cannabis.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: "Cannabis gummy bears"

Post by Fancy »

capleton wrote:I think this is just scare mongering by the RCMP and prohibitionist groups. No one with a supply would just suddenly lace gummy bears with cannabis and distribute it around because it would cost a lot and distributing it freely around the province would not generate any profit whatsoever. It reminds me of that 1930's show reefer madness and the other propaganda and lies that Senator Anslinger made up to create fear around cannabis.

The public should be aware of a potential risk.
They say they still don't know how much of the drug is in each candy and are treating the issue as a potential poisoning risk.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#210285
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

I might have to go out trick or treating this year
Attachments
6YzGJIS.jpg
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Whoever created the above should grow up - most parents want their children to grow up.
Law enforcement and parents who spoke with ABC7 were concerned these edibles could end up in the hands of younger children.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/11-teens-il ... s/2192901/
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Fancy wrote:Whoever created the above should grow up - most parents want their children to grow up.
Law enforcement and parents who spoke with ABC7 were concerned these edibles could end up in the hands of younger children.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/11-teens-il ... s/2192901/

Were any of those teenagers unintentionally eating drug laced gummy bears? If not, why do we care about the form they took. Plenty of teens take drugs in strange packaging and we don't make a big story about it.
This just seems like another moral panic story. I'm not saying that nobody has had it happen that they get given a drug laced gummy, but I suspect that it is extremely unlike, to the point where one is probably more likely to die from being hit by a car while trick-or-treating than to get one of these drug laced gummies.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

capleton wrote:I think this is just scare mongering by the RCMP and prohibitionist groups. No one with a supply would just suddenly lace gummy bears with cannabis and distribute it around because it would cost a lot and distributing it freely around the province would not generate any profit whatsoever. It reminds me of that 1930's show reefer madness and the other propaganda and lies that Senator Anslinger made up to create fear around cannabis.

Peeps don't lace candy with cannabis, they make candy with cannabis derivatives. There's lots of candy out there that contains thc.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

According to news sources, a five-year-old in Ohio was sent to the hospital last week with marijuana poisoning after eating a gummy bear laced with THC–the active ingredient in marijuana.

The child reportedly found the gummy bear in a dresser drawer and mistook it for ordinary candy.

https://familycouncil.org/?p=14801
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Fancy - this is fear-mongering 101 plain and simple. "Won't anyone think of the children?!" As stated - no one's going to hand out their stash of edibles for Hallowe'en. Even if, and that's one mighty big if, if they did - no one's going to die from OD'ing on edibles - let alone even OD in the first place. My gawd what a pile of hogwash. Maybe it was this same cop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrZLc9lqQM0
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Fancy wrote:
According to news sources, a five-year-old in Ohio was sent to the hospital last week with marijuana poisoning after eating a gummy bear laced with THC–the active ingredient in marijuana.

The child reportedly found the gummy bear in a dresser drawer and mistook it for ordinary candy.

https://familycouncil.org/?p=14801

Having the media call it poisoning - most definitely does not make it poison.
dominik
Fledgling

Post by dominik »

WalterWhite wrote:Fancy - this is fear-mongering 101 plain and simple. "Won't anyone think of the children?!" As stated - no one's going to hand out their stash of edibles for Hallowe'en. Even if, and that's one mighty big if, if they did - no one's going to die from OD'ing on edibles - let alone even OD in the first place. My gawd what a pile of hogwash. Maybe it was this same cop:

I am confused Walter, are you saying that parents shouldn't look out for needles, thc, or other drugs in candy? In the last 20 years I personally (happened to children of people I actually interact with) know of at least 4 incidents of something along those lines happening.

So on that basis... no it isn't fear mongering.
capleton
Banned

Post by capleton »

Fancy wrote:

The public should be aware of a potential risk.
They say they still don't know how much of the drug is in each candy and are treating the issue as a potential poisoning risk.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#210285

You are probably more likely drop to off a cliff then having your child have a cannabis soaked gummy bear.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

WalterWhite wrote:Fancy - this is fear-mongering 101 plain and simple. "Won't anyone think of the children?!" As stated - no one's going to hand out their stash of edibles for Hallowe'en. Even if, and that's one mighty big if, if they did - no one's going to die from OD'ing on edibles - let alone even OD in the first place. My gawd what a pile of hogwash. Maybe it was this same cop:

You're kidding I hope. Seems like every year a child either get hurts or the potential is there every Halloween from something in the candy. Warnings need to go out this time of year to catch the parent's attention.

A provincial police spokesman confirmed the recent arrest but said an investigation showed the drugs were not intended for Halloween distribution.

Sgt. Daniel Thibaudeau says that while the seized items weren't aimed at children, it's always a good idea for parents to check their childrens' Halloween candy.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

dominik wrote:

I am confused Walter, are you saying that parents shouldn't look out for needles, thc, or other drugs in candy? In the last 20 years I personally (happened to children of people I actually interact with) know of at least 4 incidents of something along those lines happening.

So on that basis... no it isn't fear mongering.

Lol - nice way to twist the context. Of course any parent needs to be as vigilant as always when it comes to their kids receiving candy from strangers. That's been going on since before I was a kid, and won't change until they do away with trick or treating altogether. No one's advocating not protecting the children - just not falling for getting freaked out by what amounts to a media made-up bogeyman in the name of gummy-bears.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Fancy wrote:

You're kidding I hope. Seems like every year a child either get hurts or the potential is there every Halloween from something in the candy. Warnings need to go out this time of year to catch the parent's attention.

A provincial police spokesman confirmed the recent arrest but said an investigation showed the drugs were not intended for Halloween distribution.

Sgt. Daniel Thibaudeau says that while the seized items weren't aimed at children, it's always a good idea for parents to check their childrens' Halloween candy.

No, I'm not kidding - see my above post.
ETA: and the last two sentences in the story need highlighting for proper comprehension:

Last edited by WalterWhite on Oct 29th, 2017, 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Police and health officials in Quebec are warning people in the Cree communities that gummy bears containing cannabis could be circulating.
No one said anyone was going to hand out their stash as Halloween candy - now that is making up a story.

Return to “Canada”