What the ..... ? Price Fixing ????

my5cents
Guru

What the ..... ? Price Fixing ????

Post by my5cents »

The Competition Bureau says it has raided the offices of certain companies in a criminal investigation tied to alleged price fixing following statements released by some of the country's largest grocery chains.

The bureau says the Ontario Superior Court of Justice in Ottawa granted search warrants based on evidence that there are reasonable grounds to believe that certain individuals and companies have engaged in activities contrary to the Competition Act.......... Loblaw Companies Ltd. (TSX:L) and George Weston Ltd. (TSX:WN) confirmed they are aware of an industry-wide investigation by the Competition Bureau concerning a price-fixing scheme involving certain packaged bread products.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#210479

Anybody noticed that price of a loaf of bread is the same in every store (and thus fixed) ?

Anybody noticed that the price of gas is exactly the same in each town down to the 1/10 th of cent per liter ?

I was surprized to read that the Competition Bureau was conducting an industry wide investigation into the price of bread, mainly because I had thought for decades that the Competition Bureau didn't investigate anything.

I'm reminded of that every time I put gas in my car.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: What the ..... ? Price Fixing ????

Post by Bsuds »

my5cents wrote:[i]

Anybody noticed that the price of gas is exactly the same in each town down to the 1/10 th of cent per liter ?

And increases in price at exactly the same time and exactly the same amount but they never look into that!

I buy maybe 2 loaves of bread a week compared to hundreds of litres of fuel. Which one affects my bank account more? Bread or fuel?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

my5cents wrote:The Competition Bureau says it has raided the offices of certain companies in a criminal investigation tied to alleged price fixing following statements released by some of the country's largest grocery chains.

The bureau says the Ontario Superior Court of Justice in Ottawa granted search warrants based on evidence that there are reasonable grounds to believe that certain individuals and companies have engaged in activities contrary to the Competition Act.......... Loblaw Companies Ltd. (TSX:L) and George Weston Ltd. (TSX:WN) confirmed they are aware of an industry-wide investigation by the Competition Bureau concerning a price-fixing scheme involving certain packaged bread products.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#210479

Anybody noticed that price of a loaf of bread is the same in every store (and thus fixed) ?

I was surprized to read that the Competition Bureau was conducting an industry wide investigation into the price of bread, mainly because I had thought for decades that the Competition Bureau didn't investigate anything.

I'm reminded of that every time I put gas in my car.

Ding...ding...ding, we have a winner. They have been doing this for decades & no level of Government is willing to do anything about it.

I rarely if ever buy bread, when I do it's usually Silver Hills
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Reminds me of when the bun industry and the hot dog makers got together. Ever wonder why hot dogs are sold 12 to a package and HD buns come in 8's? It forces everyone to buy 2 packs of wieners and 3 packs of buns to come out with an even number of each.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

This whole pile of bafflegab looks to me like a calculated distraction from the malfeasance occurring in the prime minister's cabinet.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

Rwede wrote:This whole pile of bafflegab looks to me like a calculated distraction from the malfeasance occurring in the prime minister's cabinet.

Yup. Right out of the CONS play book.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GrooveTunes wrote:
Yup. Right out of the CONS play book.

Correction ...

"Yup. Right out of the (insert any and every political party name here)'s play book."
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Rwede wrote:This whole pile of bafflegab looks to me like a calculated distraction from the malfeasance occurring in the prime minister's cabinet.

Rwede, If kittens weren't being adopted out of the SPCA fast enough, you'd find it to be a calculated distraction from the malfeasance occurring in the PM's cabinet, or the BC NDP's, which ever suited the occasion.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Climate change is also a calculated distraction to keep us from uncovering Trudeau/Horgan/Notely malfeasance.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The Competition Bureau is such a joke.

The only case I recall them pursuing during Harper's time was chocolate bars.

Yup, everybody screaming about gasoline price fixing - and our government goes after chocolate bars.

Now we have a different government and we see a repeat:

Yup, everybody screaming about gasoline price fixing - our government goes after bread prices.

Makes me wonder if the Competition Bureau ought not be scrapped and start over again.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “Canada”