Remembrance Day

Remembrance Day

Postby Ken7 » Nov 8th, 2017, 6:02 pm

I am in my mid-fifties and I do not recall a Prime Minister missing the Remembrance Day. If there was one, let me know. I personally think this is not acceptable that Trudeau will not be here in Canada. That is truly sad.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Ken7
Guru
 
Posts: 6700
Likes: 3841 posts
Liked in: 2776 posts
Joined: Sep 30th, 2007, 4:09 pm

Re: Remembrance Day

Postby Omnitheo » Nov 8th, 2017, 6:55 pm

And other years Harper was out of the country. What’s your point?

Also as I recall, it wasn’t because it was Remembrance Day, but also because 2 soldiers had just been killed the previous week on Canadian soil. At least that was the official reason given by Harper.

It also happened to conveniently give Harper an excuse to avoid an awkward encounter with China in regards to hacking and spying. In fact only months prior, the conservatives were threatening China with having Harper back out of the APEC summit meeting with the Chinese.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau

coffeeFreak likes this post.
User avatar
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4641
Likes: 7148 posts
Liked in: 3584 posts
Joined: Jul 19th, 2011, 10:10 am

Re: Remembrance Day

Postby Ken7 » Nov 8th, 2017, 7:09 pm

Omnitheo wrote:And other years Harper was out of the country. What’s your point?

Also as I recall, it wasn’t because it was Remembrance Day, but also because 2 soldiers had just been killed the previous week on Canadian soil. At least that was the official reason given by Harper.

It also happened to conveniently give Harper an excuse to avoid an awkward encounter with China in regards to hacking and spying. In fact only months prior, the conservatives were threatening China with having Harper back out of the APEC summit meeting with the Chinese.


I'm not able to find anything by press suggesting Harper has missed. Do you have a link?

As for my point, I thought it was quite obvious by my comment. I think it is very important for the LEADER of a Country to be there at this Ceremony, it does show a lack of respect that he will not be there. That is how I feel.
User avatar
Ken7
Guru
 
Posts: 6700
Likes: 3841 posts
Liked in: 2776 posts
Joined: Sep 30th, 2007, 4:09 pm

Re: Remembrance Day

Postby generalposter » Nov 8th, 2017, 7:56 pm

Your point and your thinking is correct Ken.

The Canadian Prime Minister should be on home soil and amidst Canadian citizens on Remembrance day. Our veterans are responsible for enabling his very existence. Past examples of absenteeism are not relevant .
Someone has to say it.

Ken7 likes this post.
generalposter
Board Meister
 
Posts: 432
Likes: 110 posts
Liked in: 498 posts
Joined: Oct 16th, 2011, 9:49 am

Re: Remembrance Day

Postby oneh2obabe » Nov 8th, 2017, 8:17 pm

Ken7 wrote:I am in my mid-fifties and I do not recall a Prime Minister missing the Remembrance Day. If there was one, let me know. I personally think this is not acceptable that Trudeau will not be here in Canada. That is truly sad.

$.jpg

Prime Minister Stephen Harper (2nd row L) and his wife Laureen (behind) arrive for a Rememberance Day ceremony at the Sai Wan war cemetery in Hong Kong on November 11, 2012. Harper on November 11 visited a war cemetery in Hong Kong paying tribute to Canadian troops who lost their lives during World War II.

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Photos ... story.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd
 
Posts: 56073
Likes: 742 posts
Liked in: 5988 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 9:19 am

Re: Remembrance Day

Postby Ken7 » Nov 8th, 2017, 8:25 pm

oneh2obabe wrote:
Prime Minister Stephen Harper (2nd row L) and his wife Laureen (behind) arrive for a Rememberance Day ceremony at the Sai Wan war cemetery in Hong Kong on November 11, 2012. Harper on November 11 visited a war cemetery in Hong Kong paying tribute to Canadian troops who lost their lives during World War II.
l


He too should have been in Canada! Thanks
User avatar
Ken7
Guru
 
Posts: 6700
Likes: 3841 posts
Liked in: 2776 posts
Joined: Sep 30th, 2007, 4:09 pm

Re: Remembrance Day

Postby Bsuds » Nov 8th, 2017, 9:25 pm

oneh2obabe wrote:
Prime Minister Stephen Harper (2nd row L) and his wife Laureen (behind) arrive for a Rememberance Day ceremony at the Sai Wan war cemetery in Hong Kong on November 11, 2012. Harper on November 11 visited a war cemetery in Hong Kong paying tribute to Canadian troops who lost their lives during World War II.
l
Ken7 wrote:
He too should have been in Canada! Thanks


Well considering most Canadian Soldiers died somewhere other than in Canada then as long as the PM is at any memorial for them works for me.
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

5 people like this post.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 42860
Likes: 8715 posts
Liked in: 11073 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: Remembrance Day

Postby jimmy4321 » Nov 8th, 2017, 10:41 pm

Guess it's an individual thing, for me i couldn't care less.
Be cooler to see big turnouts.
jimmy4321
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3924
Likes: 1048 posts
Liked in: 1812 posts
Joined: Jun 6th, 2010, 5:40 pm

Re: Remembrance Day

Postby GordonH » Nov 8th, 2017, 11:01 pm

Soldiers gave their lives, I figure the least I can do is purchase a poppy & go to the cenotaph on Remembrance Day.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.

jimmy4321 likes this post.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 20853
Likes: 2335 posts
Liked in: 7398 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Remembrance Day

Postby Dizzy1 » Nov 8th, 2017, 11:09 pm

oneh2obabe wrote:
Ken7 wrote:I am in my mid-fifties and I do not recall a Prime Minister missing the Remembrance Day. If there was one, let me know. I personally think this is not acceptable that Trudeau will not be here in Canada. That is truly sad.

$.jpg

Prime Minister Stephen Harper (2nd row L) and his wife Laureen (behind) arrive for a Rememberance Day ceremony at the Sai Wan war cemetery in Hong Kong on November 11, 2012. Harper on November 11 visited a war cemetery in Hong Kong paying tribute to Canadian troops who lost their lives during World War II.

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Photos ... story.html

So where will Trudeau be paying tribute to fallen Canadians on his South East Asia excursion?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10778
Likes: 4507 posts
Liked in: 5133 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Re: Remembrance Day

Postby buckland » Nov 9th, 2017, 4:43 pm

generalposter wrote:Your point and your thinking is correct Ken.

The Canadian Prime Minister should be on home soil and amidst Canadian citizens on Remembrance day. Our veterans are responsible for enabling his very existence. Past examples of absenteeism are not relevant .

Do you have PM Trudeau's Itinerary to share with the rest of us? How do you and Ken know where he will be on November 11?
buckland
 
Posts: 29
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 15 posts
Joined: Aug 13th, 2008, 9:20 am

Re: Remembrance Day

Postby GordonH » Nov 9th, 2017, 4:48 pm

When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 20853
Likes: 2335 posts
Liked in: 7398 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Remembrance Day

Postby the truth » Nov 9th, 2017, 9:14 pm

jt is turning out to be a pure *bleep*, he should be here on remembrance day, guess he is to busy supporting isis by giving terrorists millions for killing people :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
the truth
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 15330
Likes: 10082 posts
Liked in: 6060 posts
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm
Location: kelowna

Re: Remembrance Day

Postby Omnitheo » Nov 9th, 2017, 11:51 pm

Actually it appears he’s trying to forge international relations. The rest of the world doesn’t wait on our holidays. Trump is there too on Veteran’s Day.

It’s important to remember the past. But not necessarily at the expense of our future.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau

Verum likes this post.
User avatar
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4641
Likes: 7148 posts
Liked in: 3584 posts
Joined: Jul 19th, 2011, 10:10 am

Re: Remembrance Day

Postby the truth » Nov 10th, 2017, 8:57 am

off topic
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Nov 10th, 2017, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
the truth
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 15330
Likes: 10082 posts
Liked in: 6060 posts
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm
Location: kelowna

Next

Return to Canada

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests