47957
45647

Trudeau sabotages TPP, Embarrasses Canada

Trudeau sabotages TPP, Embarrasses Canada

Postby Gone_Fishin » Nov 10th, 2017, 8:25 am

NOVEMBER 10 2017 - 10:37PM

Canada's PM Justin Trudeau sabotages Trans-Pacific Partnership, shocking leaders

Lindsay Murdoch

Danang Vietnam: Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has sabotaged a pact to salvage a multibillion-dollar, 11-nation Pacific Rim trade deal at the last minute, surprising leaders of the other nations, including Australia's Malcolm Turnbull.

Mr Trudeau failed to show up at a meeting late on Friday that was set to officially revive the Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement that had been negotiated on the sidelines of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in the Vietnamese coastal city of Danang.


http://www.smh.com.au/world/canadas-pm- ... zj866.html

Image
The empty seat (foreground) allocated for Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau during a meeting for the Trans-Pacific Partnership


"There were a lot of unhappy leaders left sitting there," said an official who was in the meeting.

All 11 foreign ministers of the grouping had agreed on Thursday night to revive the agreement that was rejected by US President Donald Trump days after he took office.

Image
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau failed to show-up at a meeting that was set to revive the Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement. Photo: AP

But Mr Trudeau raised issues at the last minute that forced Japan's Prime Minister Shino Abe, who is chair of the gathering, to announce the meeting had to be abandoned.

Mr Turnbull has been spruiking the benefits of the TPP since arriving in Danang on Thursday, telling an APEC leaders' reception the pact "creates rules of the road to match the new economic world in which we're living".

"It aims at old hidden trade barriers like corruption and new ones like data protectionism," he said.

"It works to level the playing field for non-state companies and is designed to defend and extend the freedom to explore, share and capitalise on new ideas."

Mr Turnbull said the pact would bring together economies with a collective GDP of about $US10 trillion.

"So that is a huge market," he said.

Mr Trudeau's walk-out is deeply embarrassing for Canada's Trade Minister Franois-Philippe Champagne, who has agreed to the deal.

Officials expected that the leaders would simply rubber-stamp what had already been agreed by the trade ministers, despite the agreement being unpopular in Canada.

Australia's Trade Minister Steven Ciobo said it was disappointing the leaders' meeting had to be cancelled.

He said what the trade ministers had agreed on was a "very high quality deal, one that maintained high standards and would have seen benefits flowing to the countries".

Mr Ciobo said despite the set-back the 10 other countries will need to consider the issues raised by Canada.

But no further negotiations or meetings are planned.

The agreement negotiated over more than a year would deliver 19 new free trade agreements among the 11 countries.

snip

Backed by Australia, Japan has lobbied hard to proceed with the pact that is seen as a way to counter China's regional dominance.

Mr Turnbull is scheduled to meet Mr Trudeau during the three-day APEC meetings.
When you're dead, you don't know you are dead. It is only difficult for the others.

It's the same when you are stupid.

The Green Barbarian likes this post.
User avatar
Gone_Fishin
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3563
Likes: 3234 posts
Liked in: 2086 posts
Joined: Sep 6th, 2006, 6:43 am

Re: Trudeau sabotages TPP, Embarrasses Canada

Postby maryjane48 » Nov 10th, 2017, 8:34 am

interesting the op doesnt believe in climate change :smt045 so what should be a celecration by the op for non action on tpp we see this hypocrasy :200:
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16001
Likes: 9976 posts
Liked in: 2496 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Re: Trudeau sabotages TPP, Embarrasses Canada

Postby Retrosnap » Nov 10th, 2017, 8:51 am

Gone_Fishin wrote:NOVEMBER 10 2017 - 10:37PM

Canada's PM Justin Trudeau sabotages Trans-Pacific Partnership, shocking leaders

Lindsay Murdoch

Danang Vietnam: Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has sabotaged a pact to salvage a multibillion-dollar, 11-nation Pacific Rim trade deal at the last minute, surprising leaders of the other nations, including Australia's Malcolm Turnbull.

Mr Trudeau failed to show up at a meeting late on Friday that was set to officially revive the Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement that had been negotiated on the sidelines of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in the Vietnamese coastal city of Danang.


http://www.smh.com.au/world/canadas-pm- ... zj866.html

Image
The empty seat (foreground) allocated for Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau during a meeting for the Trans-Pacific Partnership


"There were a lot of unhappy leaders left sitting there," said an official who was in the meeting.

All 11 foreign ministers of the grouping had agreed on Thursday night to revive the agreement that was rejected by US President Donald Trump days after he took office.

Image
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau failed to show-up at a meeting that was set to revive the Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement. Photo: AP

But Mr Trudeau raised issues at the last minute that forced Japan's Prime Minister Shino Abe, who is chair of the gathering, to announce the meeting had to be abandoned.

Mr Turnbull has been spruiking the benefits of the TPP since arriving in Danang on Thursday, telling an APEC leaders' reception the pact "creates rules of the road to match the new economic world in which we're living".

"It aims at old hidden trade barriers like corruption and new ones like data protectionism," he said.

"It works to level the playing field for non-state companies and is designed to defend and extend the freedom to explore, share and capitalise on new ideas."

Mr Turnbull said the pact would bring together economies with a collective GDP of about $US10 trillion.

"So that is a huge market," he said.

Mr Trudeau's walk-out is deeply embarrassing for Canada's Trade Minister Franois-Philippe Champagne, who has agreed to the deal.

Officials expected that the leaders would simply rubber-stamp what had already been agreed by the trade ministers, despite the agreement being unpopular in Canada.

Australia's Trade Minister Steven Ciobo said it was disappointing the leaders' meeting had to be cancelled.

He said what the trade ministers had agreed on was a "very high quality deal, one that maintained high standards and would have seen benefits flowing to the countries".

Mr Ciobo said despite the set-back the 10 other countries will need to consider the issues raised by Canada.

But no further negotiations or meetings are planned.

The agreement negotiated over more than a year would deliver 19 new free trade agreements among the 11 countries.

snip

Backed by Australia, Japan has lobbied hard to proceed with the pact that is seen as a way to counter China's regional dominance.

Mr Turnbull is scheduled to meet Mr Trudeau during the three-day APEC meetings.


Will be interesting to see what transpires.

My gut feeling is that the deal involved some kind of guaranteed access to the Canadian market for New Zealand dairy producers, and that the US caught wind, and said if that's the case, you can forget about NAFTA.
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.
User avatar
Retrosnap
Board Meister
 
Posts: 448
Likes: 93 posts
Liked in: 339 posts
Joined: Jul 25th, 2006, 6:37 am
Location: Kelowna

Re: Trudeau sabotages TPP, Embarrasses Canada

Postby oneh2obabe » Nov 10th, 2017, 8:55 am

Trudeau did not go to the conference room at the scheduled time to meet the other TPP leaders.

However, the Prime Minister's Office insisted that Canada was not the only country to raise concerns. A spokeswoman said Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, the meeting's chair, cancelled the event after a 50-minute face-to-face discussion with Trudeau.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/tpp-lead ... -1.3671745
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe
Grand Pilgrim
 
Posts: 49582
Likes: 401 posts
Liked in: 4829 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 8:19 am

Re: Trudeau sabotages TPP, Embarrasses Canada

Postby JLives » Nov 10th, 2017, 9:06 am

Wasn't GF opposed to the TPP a few months ago? So isn't this a good thing? Oh right, Trudeau is involved so blind hate dictates you have to show false outrage regardless of what he does or doesn't do.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

maryjane48 likes this post.
User avatar
JLives
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 15315
Likes: 2700 posts
Liked in: 5019 posts
Joined: Nov 27th, 2004, 10:53 am

Re: Trudeau sabotages TPP, Embarrasses Canada

Postby Gone_Fishin » Nov 10th, 2017, 9:10 am

Whether people agree with the TPP or not, the point of the article is Trudeau's childish action has greatly embarrassed Canada on the world stage. When the leaders of 10 nations convene for a meeting, and Trudeau doesn't give the courtesy of telling them beforehand that he's taking his ball and stomping his way home, we've lost whatever credibility we ever had with these nations.

Also, I don't believe there's a NAFTA connection to Trudeau's actions. Trudeau got a letter from Jerry Diaz of Unifor the night before the meeting opposing the pending deal, so Trudeau buckled to his union fundraiser and left the other prime ministers/presidents in a lurch. Terrible for Canada to be run by the likes of Diaz, that is for sure., and terrible that we have a prime minister who is so afraid of his fundraisers that he's willing to throw Canada under the bus to keep that money flowing to the Liberal Party of Canada.

https://twitter.com/jerrypdias/status/9 ... 2415864832
When you're dead, you don't know you are dead. It is only difficult for the others.

It's the same when you are stupid.

Catsumi likes this post.
User avatar
Gone_Fishin
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3563
Likes: 3234 posts
Liked in: 2086 posts
Joined: Sep 6th, 2006, 6:43 am

Re: Trudeau sabotages TPP, Embarrasses Canada

Postby JLives » Nov 10th, 2017, 9:15 am

Gone_Fishin wrote:Whether people agree with the TPP or not, the point of the article is Trudeau's childish action has greatly embarrassed Canada on the world stage. When the leaders of 10 nations convene for a meeting, and Trudeau doesn't give the courtesy of telling them beforehand that he's taking his ball and stomping his way home, we've lost whatever credibility we ever had with these nations.

You already know that's not true. Why are you repeating a lie?

Trudeau did not go to the conference room at the scheduled time to meet the other TPP leaders.

However, the Prime Minister's Office insisted that Canada was not the only country to raise concerns. A spokeswoman said Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, the meeting's chair, cancelled the event after a 50-minute face-to-face discussion with Trudeau.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

maryjane48 likes this post.
User avatar
JLives
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 15315
Likes: 2700 posts
Liked in: 5019 posts
Joined: Nov 27th, 2004, 10:53 am

Re: Trudeau sabotages TPP, Embarrasses Canada

Postby bob vernon » Nov 10th, 2017, 9:20 am

What's wrong with these leftists like Trudeau. Doesn't he want to ship the last of our manufacturing jobs to Asia? Doesn't he want to allow Asian companies to come here to Canada and bring their own workers and pay them $4 an hour? We need to allow food items into Canada that are fertilized with human waste. TPP would do these things and more? Why does he stand in the way of progress?

maryjane48 likes this post.
bob vernon
Übergod
 
Posts: 1814
Likes: 7 posts
Liked in: 901 posts
Joined: Oct 27th, 2008, 9:37 am

Re: Trudeau sabotages TPP, Embarrasses Canada

Postby Gone_Fishin » Nov 10th, 2017, 9:21 am

JLives wrote:
Gone_Fishin wrote:Whether people agree with the TPP or not, the point of the article is Trudeau's childish action has greatly embarrassed Canada on the world stage. When the leaders of 10 nations convene for a meeting, and Trudeau doesn't give the courtesy of telling them beforehand that he's taking his ball and stomping his way home, we've lost whatever credibility we ever had with these nations.

You already know that's not true. Why are you repeating a lie?

Trudeau did not go to the conference room at the scheduled time to meet the other TPP leaders.

However, the Prime Minister's Office insisted that Canada was not the only country to raise concerns. A spokeswoman said Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, the meeting's chair, cancelled the event after a 50-minute face-to-face discussion with Trudeau.



Can you explain this picture? Why are these countries' leaders sitting at the table waiting for Trudeau? Trudeau's meeting with Abe was immediately before the scheduled leaders' meeting, perhaps even running into the leaders' meeting.

Image



Diaz --> Trudeau --> Abe. That was the flow.
When you're dead, you don't know you are dead. It is only difficult for the others.

It's the same when you are stupid.
User avatar
Gone_Fishin
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3563
Likes: 3234 posts
Liked in: 2086 posts
Joined: Sep 6th, 2006, 6:43 am

Re: Trudeau sabotages TPP, Embarrasses Canada

Postby maryjane48 » Nov 10th, 2017, 11:01 am

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 10th, 2017, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16001
Likes: 9976 posts
Liked in: 2496 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Re: Trudeau sabotages TPP, Embarrasses Canada

Postby just popping in » Nov 10th, 2017, 11:29 am

And then there is the rest of the story:

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#211250

Omnitheo likes this post.
just popping in
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2563
Likes: 160 posts
Liked in: 305 posts
Joined: Apr 3rd, 2011, 7:15 pm

Re: Trudeau sabotages TPP, Embarrasses Canada

Postby techrtr » Nov 10th, 2017, 11:45 am

Maybe he was busy getting his photo taken by his legions of adoring fans who think he's just dreamy.

2 people like this post.
techrtr
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 756
Likes: 55 posts
Liked in: 647 posts
Joined: Jul 5th, 2005, 6:47 am

Re: Trudeau sabotages TPP, Embarrasses Canada

Postby Gone_Fishin » Nov 10th, 2017, 1:06 pm

Justin Trudeau Called Out Globally for Missing International Meeting

By Yanky Pollak - November 10, 2017


It seems Canada has blown a trade pact with Australia and nine other nations out of the water after snubbing a leader’s meeting and making a raft of last minute demands.

All 11 trade ministers from the Trans-Pacific Partnership countries including Canada had agreed on a “substantial conclusion” to the deal. It was to be signed off by leaders on the sidelines of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in Vietnam on Friday evening.

But the resurrected trade deal — championed by Malcolm Turnbull — is now in limbo after Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau raised a raft of last minute issues and stood up a meeting of the 10 other leaders including Mr Turnbull.

Moves by the Turnbull government to champion the deal and seal a free-trade agreement with Peru at the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in Da Nang were in stark contrast to the US President Donald Trump’s rhetoric on trade.

snip

Trade ministers from the eleven countries reached an the agreement early on Friday but it required sign-off from their nation’s leaders.

Asked if every leader was waiting and Canada did not show up, Mr Ciobo said: “correct”.

“It’s less than ideal to have every leader and trade minister from the other ten countries sitting around the table and not have Canada there. It’s not an ideal outcome,” he said.


“There is of course still opportunity for us to continue discussions to try to work our way through the last remaining issues Canada raised,” Mr Ciobo said. “But at this point in time it would appear, at the request of Canada, we’ve been unable to have leaders achieve a resolution today.”

A source close to the negotiations said there were “a lot of very angry people, a lot of very *bleep* off leaders” at the meeting.

“The Canadians screwed everybody,” they said.


https://www.thepostmillennial.com/justi ... l-meeting/
When you're dead, you don't know you are dead. It is only difficult for the others.

It's the same when you are stupid.
User avatar
Gone_Fishin
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3563
Likes: 3234 posts
Liked in: 2086 posts
Joined: Sep 6th, 2006, 6:43 am

Re: Trudeau sabotages TPP, Embarrasses Canada

Postby Bsuds » Nov 10th, 2017, 1:44 pm

User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 40907
Likes: 7067 posts
Liked in: 8900 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 9:46 am

Re: Trudeau sabotages TPP, Embarrasses Canada

Postby The Green Barbarian » Nov 10th, 2017, 1:48 pm

PM Dumb Dumb strikes again. His battery probably ran out on his cell phone from taking too many selfies and so he slept in. Why did Canada send this bonehead to this conference anyway? Couldn't we find anyone better? Who could at least get off their lazy snow-board instructor arse and get to a meeting?
Not sure why I bother with a signature as it seems to just randomly disappear on a regular basis. Especially if it offends liberal snowflakes.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 24169
Likes: 9355 posts
Liked in: 11256 posts
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 8:13 am

Next

Return to Canada

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests