Canadas first nation people

Canadas first nation people

Postby maryjane48 » Nov 10th, 2017, 8:29 am

From across this land, the people you are about to meet see a brighter future for all Canadians. Their personal journeys and stories are different, but are all connected by heritage and pride. As Canada marks a historical occasion, their roots and culture go well beyond 150 years. For them, this is a time to look back, and to also look forward. They are trailblazers, innovators, leaders and deeply proud to be Indigenous.

:smt045


http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/i- ... nous-2017/

jimmy4321 likes this post.
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17124
Likes: 10586 posts
Liked in: 2666 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Re: Canadas first nation people

Postby Treblehook » Nov 12th, 2017, 2:19 pm

We have, right here in the South Okanagan, one of the most [if not THE most] progressive and successful Band Chiefs in our country.... someone that sets an example that all leaders of bands across Canada would benefit from emulating... at least much of what he is doing. He should be right there, front and center, as a trailblazer. Nobody is perfect, and I am sure there some that would pick away at the man's performance, but it is difficult to take exception to results. Just saying.

seewood likes this post.
User avatar
Treblehook
Übergod
 
Posts: 1948
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 1319 posts
Joined: Jan 17th, 2011, 1:10 am

Re: Canadas first nation people

Postby Chyren » Nov 13th, 2017, 8:17 am

:up:
Chyren
Board Meister
 
Posts: 395
Likes: 34 posts
Liked in: 336 posts
Joined: Dec 30th, 2016, 8:45 pm

Re: Canadas first nation people

Postby Ka-El » Nov 13th, 2017, 5:01 pm

Treblehook wrote:We have, right here in the South Okanagan, one of the most [if not THE most] progressive and successful Band Chiefs in our country.... someone that sets an example that all leaders of bands across Canada would benefit from emulating... at least much of what he is doing.

Indeed, and all across this province are examples of First Nations Bands negotiating with government and taking steps to improve the circumstances of their members through employment partnerships, improved access to training and education, improved health services, etc. The former chief of the Haisla Band, who negotiated partnership deals with a number of resource companies, is now a sitting MLA.

As if forming opinion on overgeneralization and stereotype (prejudice) wasn’t enough, it seems the only news that gets reported on First Nations portrays them in a negative light. And despite the fact these stories refer to more isolated incidents relative to the total number of Bands across the country (availability heuristic), those who have always formed their prejudicial views from overgeneralization and stereotype do not hesitate to use this information to reinforce their bigoted views.
What did Forrest Gump say, "Stupid is as stupid does."? I think dimples has a new campaign slogan.
User avatar
Ka-El
Guru
 
Posts: 6024
Likes: 3187 posts
Liked in: 5452 posts
Joined: Oct 18th, 2015, 8:19 am

Re: Canadas first nation people

Postby The Green Barbarian » Nov 13th, 2017, 5:13 pm

Ka-El wrote:, those who have always formed their prejudicial views from overgeneralization and stereotype do not hesitate to use this information to reinforce their bigoted views.


I agree. Our Governor General's comments the other day about FA religious beliefs were just disgusting.
"Socialists sure are a lot dumber today than they were when I was alive" - John Stuart Mill

JT - he's been ready since 2015, to be the puppet of Gerald Butts and the Laurentide Elite.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 29368
Likes: 12870 posts
Liked in: 17370 posts
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 8:13 am

Re: Canadas first nation people

Postby Queen K » Nov 13th, 2017, 5:31 pm

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Ka-El wrote:, those who have always formed their prejudicial views from overgeneralization and stereotype do not hesitate to use this information to reinforce their bigoted views.


I agree. Our Governor General's comments the other day about FA religious beliefs were just disgusting.


Damn, I commently missed those comments, is there a link to the whole debacle?
Could it be that a whole life can shift the day one starts telling the truth about what makes one happy?
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 54159
Likes: 12799 posts
Liked in: 13503 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:39 am
Location: What? You mean here?


Return to Canada

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests