Battle over plate

Omnitheo
Guru

Re: Battle over plate

Post by Omnitheo »

Again what does any of this have to do with politics?

So many of you seem to be hate and bias filled, you need to turn every discussion into an “us vs them” and use every farfetched chance you can get to accuse something of being “the left”. How does one go through life so bitter and filled with vitriol?

There is nothing left wing or right wing about this, and as much as you accuse “them” as being snowflakes, you make posts daily about how offensive something is to you. Indeed so called “right wing” members of the forums have thrown fits about how their forum name was truncated.

If my last name was Bigcock, I wouldn’t be allowed to have that on a licence plate. There are a lot of names out there which are unfortunate and outside of context do not imply that they are a name. This isn’t about grade 7 innuendo. It’s about the reality of the world we live in, where rich businessmen say “grab her in the *bleep*”. Where high profile names are appearing in the news daily in regards to sexual assault. It’s where millions of women, indeed many I know, both friends and relatives have shared their #metoo stories. And then someone is parading around their customized plate reading “grabher”

Those of you who don’t think there is anything wrong with that are either ignorant or insensitive.

And nobody is telling him to change his name. Gosh.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Omnitheo wrote:Again what does any of this have to do with politics?

Where is any reference to politics?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Dizzy1 wrote:
Omnitheo wrote:Again what does any of this have to do with politics?

Where is any reference to politics?

“The Left”
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Omnitheo wrote:

“The Left”

"The Left" or "Right" isn't always political motivated. It can be religiously motivated or as it is in this case, socially motivated.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Wjhile it ticks me off that all it took was one person to make an issue of the plate, I have to point out that it is ultimately up to the Provincial Govt. to determine what can and can't be represented on license plates. I am not saying that whoever makes up the team of censors are necessarily qualified to do so, but someone has to do it and in this case, they have decided to err on the side of caution.

I understand that this guys name is what it is but it kind of bothers me that he isn't giving at least some consideration or understanding as to why this might be of concern to some. Last name or not, we are being inundated with stories of inappropriate behavior that are rising from the past and have come back to haunt many deserving public figures.

maybe it is overly cautious or overly sensistive but it is what it is.

My family name is fuch yu, being of Asian decent and I was not allowed to personalize my plate no matter how much proof I offered of its true ancestry and the special place in my heart that it holds, not just for me but for my extended family, the fuch yu toos and the fuch yo seffs, not that either one of them would fit on a license plate but still, it's their name and they have a right to be proud of it.

So to Mr. Grabher, maybe try to understand that while this may be your heritage, these are touchy times and some folks are making it their mission in life to ensure that the moral majority is well represented.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Left wing, right wing, is specifically politics. Everything else is just people trying to vilify other people.

Which you are doing here, despite any evidence about this being motivated by left wing ideology.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Omnitheo wrote:Left wing, right wing, is specifically politics.

No, its not.

If the term is too confusing, I'd be more happy to refer to these groups as Snowflakes, Bleeding Hearts, SJW's, etc.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I can't get over how people are loosing their :cuss: over the fact one guy can't get a personalized license plate. Political correctness is a wedge issue that the right lilkes to exploit and also why the Alberta-based Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms took it on, from what I gather it's a Christian conservative group that's main goal is protecting thier religious freedoms under the guise of freedom of speech. (I may be wrong about this so correct me if I am).

To me the way those on the right are blowing this out of proportion, is a pattern of thiers where they love to play the victim. I laughed at one poster who said he wants to puke it's making him so upset.

The only question this one guy's plight to get his name on a licence plate raises is when did the right become such a bunch of snowflakes?
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

mexi cali wrote:Wjhile it ticks me off that all it took was one person to make an issue of the plate, I have to point out that it is ultimately up to the Provincial Govt. to determine what can and can't be represented on license plates. I am not saying that whoever makes up the team of censors are necessarily qualified to do so, but someone has to do it and in this case, they have decided to err on the side of caution.

I understand that this guys name is what it is but it kind of bothers me that he isn't giving at least some consideration or understanding as to why this might be of concern to some. Last name or not, we are being inundated with stories of inappropriate behavior that are rising from the past and have come back to haunt many deserving public figures.

maybe it is overly cautious or overly sensistive but it is what it is.

My family name is fuch yu, being of Asian decent and I was not allowed to personalize my plate no matter how much proof I offered of its true ancestry and the special place in my heart that it holds, not just for me but for my extended family, the fuch yu toos and the fuch yo seffs, not that either one of them would fit on a license plate but still, it's their name and they have a right to be proud of it.

So to Mr. Grabher, maybe try to understand that while this may be your heritage, these are touchy times and some folks are making it their mission in life to ensure that the moral majority is well represented.

Perhaps the offended parties should try to inform themselves on why an individual has chosen a plate with the word "GRABHER" or "FUCH YU" instead of simply being offended and running off on their way to represent the moral majority.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Poindexter wrote:I can't get over how people are loosing their :cuss: over the fact one guy can't get a personalized license plate.

Because we're bored and have no life :biggrin:
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Step outside of the anonymity and security of your vehicle (where nobody can see you picking your nose). And tell me if you would feel comfortable walking around the mall holding up a sign saying “GRABHER”. With no additional context. Would you put your face and reputation out there publically with these words?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Omnitheo wrote:Step outside of the anonymity and security of your vehicle (where nobody can see you picking your nose). And tell me if you would feel comfortable walking around the mall holding up a sign saying “GRABHER”. With no additional context. Would you put your face and reputation out there publically with these words?

Why would I be walking around a mall holding any sign?

But, lets bring this into a more realistic context.

Let's say I'm a limo driver, I'm at the airport picking up Mr. Grabher. I wouldn't have any problem holding up a sign with the name "Grabher". Would you?

Let's say I'm a manager at the local fast food joint. Mr. Grabher applies for a job. All employees must wear a name tag with their last name. Is it inappropriate for me to issue a name tag with "Grabher" on it? I mean, with all those young girls working there.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 13th, 2017, 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Personally, I think we should be allowed to have any plate we want, within the technical requirements of the law. Nipples or even genitals appearing on TV should be a non-issue as should swearing and such. This kind of zealous censorship needs to stop. Historically people used it to oppress new ideas and ways of thinking, and now people are using the same mechanisms to prevent people expressing views which may be offensive. If you think that he should be allowed to have his plate, but are against the showing of naked bodies on daytime TV, public displays of affection by homosexual couples, etc. I think you are being hypocritical.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

maryjane48 wrote:Of course the right would defend this fool as the defend roy moore

He's a fool because he wants his family name on his personalized plate? How about the fools that want to change the names of cities, like Calgary for example.......

Return to “Canada”