Rename Calgary?

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Rename Calgary?

Post by oneh2obabe »

Westbank First Nations language is Nsyilxcən which can be found written under English names on street signs, etc. No reason this can't be done for the towns/cities/villages mentioned instead of alienating people by demanding changes when it's not required.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

oneh2obabe wrote:Westbank First Nations language is Nsyilxcən which can be found written under English names on street signs, etc. No reason this can't be done for the towns/cities/villages mentioned instead of alienating people by demanding changes when it's not required.

Sensible suggestion.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
maryjane48 wrote:How ?you really think most white folks have the disdain for first nations that you do ??

when it comes to our Governor General she has far more disdain than most, especially for their religious beliefs. Anyway, nice story, but can anyone think of the costs of renaming a city like Calgary? It would be astronomical.

First Nations can fund it! [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] Sorry thought we all needed a good laugh...
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

That should be the first thing asked " are you going to pay for it ? If not, shut up.
Black Dogs Matter
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

maryjane48 wrote:
hobbyguy wrote:I can see the point in renaming places, teams, etc. that contain derogatory terms. However, Calgary is not one of those as far as I know.

The group that wants this are pushing the envelope and inviting a backlash that is counter productive to bringing folks together.

How ?you really think most white folks have the disdain for first nations that you do ?sorry but most canadians do not have the bigotry gene. Canada is a native name . Shall we change it to white name ?

MJ - when you don't respect others, they won't respect you.

The path to real reconciliation is best served by mutual respect. When I heard of the Siwash rock name change, I thought huh? Until I understood the derogatory nature of the word for the indigenous people.

There are real and important issues to deal with, and the attempts by fringe folks to advance the notion that all of Canada belongs to a specific race are entirely counter productive, as well as being totally unrealistic.

Your bigotry comment reflects "some dogs have spots, therefore all dogs have spots" thinking, which is also counter productive.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

maryjane48 wrote:Its built on their land as vancouver is on first nation land. *removed*

Wrong. Natives have no ownership of the land. Never have thought that they owned the land. Do you not know your own culture? Shame!
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
christopher
Board Meister

Post by christopher »

Can we take the money out of Indian Affairs to pay for it.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Wow, it just keeps getting dumber and dumber. So glad I don't have more than 20 years or so left on this nutty planet. Political correctness has gone beyond insane. We should have wiped out the Indians when we had the chance. Someone please tell me what positive thing it is they contribute to Canadian society. One thing, besides dancing with Justin Trudeau, who needs a new suit and pair of shoes, btw.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

christopher wrote:Can we take the money out of Indian Affairs to pay for it.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Wrong. Natives have no ownership of the land. Never have thought that they owned the land. Do you not know your own culture? Shame!

Yea i do know my culture . Im a highlander . Part the black watch . But that has zero to do with whose land vancouver city is built on. Google it. As for calgary it also is on native land :135:
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Well, I would say whoever established the town site had the right to name it. If FN's people want to change the name of one of their communities, that's their prerogative. The decision to change the name of a city like Calgary should be put to a vote so that all residents have a say, not just a small group of people.

What they've done in Westbank is great. It recognizes that FN's people lived there and had their own names for places long before Europeans arrived, but I don't think anyone's demanding that anglo names be removed.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

hobbyguy wrote:I can see the point in renaming places, teams, etc. that contain derogatory terms. However, Calgary is not one of those as far as I know.

The group that wants this are pushing the envelope and inviting a backlash that is counter productive to bringing folks together.

I do hope this is the start of the END! Sadly they did not put the effort into making Cities such as Calgary, if they would have they could have called it twisted ankle of what ever name they wish.

Please stop already, you are right it is not helping matters.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

maryjane48 wrote: Do you not know your own culture? Shame!
:

This is exactly what you should have said to our lunatic Governor General when she totally trashed FA religious beliefs. But you cheered her instead, purely out of political partisanship. And for that, you should feel true shame.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Just last year the natives laid claim to Parliament Hill.
An Ontario First Nation has filed a lawsuit seeking aboriginal title over much of downtown Ottawa, including Parliament Hill.

"The Algonquin Anishinabe Nation has never surrendered its title to the Kichi Sibi lands," says the band's statement of claim filed Wednesday in Ontario's Superior Court

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/n ... dmail.com&
Bring back the LIKE button.
christopher
Board Meister

Post by christopher »

This could be the NDP way of job creation.

Return to “Canada”