Morneau sold 680,000 shares before tax announcement?

Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Morneau sold 680,000 shares before tax announcement?

Post by Gone_Fishin »

JLives wrote:Trudeau isn't dividing the country. You and your ilk are. He has been receptive to working with everyone in government. He is far from a divider. Do you really want what's going down in the US to happen here? Because that's what it sounds like. Trudeau is liked in the West. Just not by you and you don't speak for all of us. I'll speak for myself thanks.

https://www.spencerfernando.com/2017/06 ... mmigrants/

Once again, Justin Trudeau divides Canadians for his selfish political gain.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Gone_Fishin wrote:
JLives wrote:Trudeau isn't dividing the country. You and your ilk are. He has been receptive to working with everyone in government. He is far from a divider. Do you really want what's going down in the US to happen here? Because that's what it sounds like. Trudeau is liked in the West. Just not by you and you don't speak for all of us. I'll speak for myself thanks.

https://www.spencerfernando.com/2017/06 ... mmigrants/

Once again, Justin Trudeau divides Canadians for his selfish political gain.

Flowers and unicorns
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Actually, I don't think JT's comments are that far off the mark.

Travel for a while in the poor countries around the world, and even in the crammed European countries, and it feels really good to come home to Canada. Spend a few weeks in repressed area like western China, and you see much more of what attracts people to a country like Canada.

In many countries our bickering would land you in jail, or at the very least a "visit".

Canada is consistently ranked as one of the top countries for prosperity and consistently in the top 3 for personal freedom. It is easy to forget that to a very, very large extent - we "won life's lottery" by being Canadian, especially if we were born here.

Yes, it isn't perfect, yes the prosperity opportunities aren't spread equitably. But: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2082385/We-1--You-need-34k-income-global-elite--half-worlds-richest-live-U-S.html

"And although the rise of the middle class in the Third World has been loudly celebrated, Mr Milanovic points out that a middle-class salary in emerging economies would be considered dire poverty in the West."

Sometimes we just don't appreciate what we have. Someone coming from one of those countries, to Canada, most certainly does.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Lived in spain as a kid. Born in singapore. Lived in belgium. Seen many strange places. Yes Canada is great. Very expensive though.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Jflem1983 wrote:Lived in spain as a kid. Born in singapore. Lived in belgium. Seen many strange places. Yes Canada is great. Very expensive though.

Geography and climate makes Canada inevitably expensive. Travel from one end of the UK to another? Not a big deal by Canadian standards. Population density in many countries naturally lends economies of scale/access to services and drives economies of scale in things like Japan's train system.

So yes, there is an "expense premium" to living in Canada, buy oh my, it is well worth it!
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

It takes a. Man to stand up to china . Not some sissy like skippy or andy p [icon_lol2.gif]
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

hobbyguy wrote:I agree that not going for a blind trust in the first place was politically naive.

It is very hard for me to see any redeeming value in politicians that set out to have a career in politics. That includes union hacks, because they are just another form of politics.

In most cases they are folks who can't do. Whether it is the hard work of union labor on a shop floor, or running a business, or designing things, or repairing things, they don't seem to have any real world skills, and are only intent on developing sharp elbows and the ability to back stab. They have no connection to the real world.

That, I'm afraid, describes Skippy to a T, and many other supposed "leaders" among our politicians. Really competent people, like David Emerson, get chewed up in the games of back stabbing and elbow jabbing, while the know nothing can;t do's dominate our politics.

That's why I find it refreshing when I see people like Jane Philpott, Chrystia Freelund, and even Bill Morneau step up to try thttps://forums.castanet.net/viewforum.php?f=36o serve the country. None of them "need" to be politicians.

Skippy, Sheer, Horgan, and a lot of others only have their political "science" to sustain them. What real expertise and experience do they bring? And what is their real goal? To get re-elected. That's pretty shallow.

Running for public office is something few Canadians are attracted to, and even fewer are good at. The process itself acts as a filter which eliminates many of the best and brightest and helps to assure that our 'leaders' are invested in a mentality of stakeholder entitlement and party hegemony.

Yes, it's good to have people with fresh perspectives in the cabinet, but if party leaders step in to fluff up the talent pool by imposing "star candidates" on local constituencies, my enthusiasm is dulled.

Our present system might suit the British, with their long history of noblesse oblige and stronger sense of national identity, but Canada could benefit from having an elected PM/president, with the freedom to appoint department heads on the basis of demonstrated ability, allowing more talented, successful people to serve their country without having to become professional politicians.

Unfortunately, the not-so-good ship Constitution sailed in 1982 and the consensus isn't there to bring it back with a view to improving it for everyone. We only seem willing to make it worse by loading it with a dog's breakfast of "minimum demands" and conditions from parochial interests.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Does an ethics commissioner that may be willing to sweep it all under the rug for the rich guys sound overly ethical to you?

Again this would be scandalous should it be someone other than Justin for some reason. This simply sounds dubious as a start.

The PM and Finance Minister should show themselves to be clean and put this to rest, instead they hire someone willing to help it go away, it becomes a telling scene under those actions that makes the guilt appear more likely, and therefore a PROPER investigation done.

This sounds like a "I'll sweep it under the rug when the pressure eases off" appointment.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Rotten to the core. A hired gun to make it all disappear.

Justin and Moneybags are doing this right in front of your eyes, yet some give him a free pass. Why?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/cra-squeezes-voluntary-disclosures-amid-tax-evasion-crackdown/article37340700/

"The Canada Revenue Agency will no longer allow Canadians to benefit from financial relief when they disclose unreported income in cases that involve offshore dealings or sophisticated tax-avoidance schemes, federal officials said. Starting in March, the federal agency will restrict the incentives offered to late-filing taxpayers under the Voluntary Disclosures Program."

SNIP

"Filing applications under the VDP has traditionally been a lucrative business for tax lawyers and accountants, and the changes to the program are expected to rock the industry. In the 2016-17 fiscal year, the VDP was used 18,500 times by taxpayers to disclose $1.6-billion in previously unreported income."

Finally some action at the real dirty end of the stick. Perhaps the controversy has shaken Bill up enough that we will get more action than that. But zero tolerance on the shady schemes is a decent start.

Return to “Canada”