Morneau sold 680,000 shares before tax announcement?

hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Re: Morneau sold 680,000 shares before tax announcement?

Post by hobbyguy »

I do find it rather hilarious that Skippy Poilievre and Sheer (ever notice how similar his grin is to Horgan's) are quite happy to chuck peanuts in parliament, and too gutless to come out from behind the skirts of privilege.

It says as much about the poor quality of the Conservatives as it does about the Liberals.

It seems to me that the Morneau family selling off their shares is EXACTLY what the opposition wanted to be done. https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/10/19/questions-about-personal-wealth-a-distraction-for-morneau.html

"In a stunning about-face that has cost him politically and personally, Finance Minister Bill Morneau says he will sell off all his and his family’s shares in Morneau Shepell and place all other assets in a blind trust.

In the three hours after Morneau’s declaration, the value of the company’s stock dropped 41 cents a share, costing him an estimated $410,000 in one afternoon based on his current stated holdings of “about a million” shares in Morneau Shepell."

Skippy the peanut chucker ( he ought to join the BC NDP, he would fit right in) continues to twist reality and fib. Sheer is just being a typical politician from the school of political "science" and twisting the facts and context. Was it not YOU Mr. Sheer that wanted Bill Morneau and his family to sell those shares? Yes indeed, you whined and sniveled that he should!

This is just a load of hypocritical bs from Sheer and Skippy the clown. Bill Morneau is doing EXACTLY what the opposition wanted him to do, sell the shares and place the money in a blind trust.

Do you on the far right have such short memories, or such a crush on the hypocrite Sheer that you choose to "forget"?
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Well our pm hobby offered for the cons to repeat their claims out side parparliment .none took him up
Case closed :130:
This is a issue we have common ground on .expect ndp would never take in skippy [icon_lol2.gif]
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

maryjane48 wrote:It isnt insider trading though queen .this is much ado about nothing . :130:

That’s great that you know all the details that nobody else does.

As you said in your most recent post....case closed. Whew.
It’s nice when things are so open and shut and can just be shelved immediately because someone on an anonymous forum knows all the details and can reassure us.

Thanks! :up:
You and 71 others Like this post
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

The globe and mail looked into it and according to them nothing wrong happened .and since the accuser wont repewt the claims outside of parlement says all i need to know . Your free to have a press conference if you feel confident

Now do i like bill ? No not really .i think hes out for bill. Do i think he broke the law ? The evidence i saw so far no
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Queen K wrote:
How do you mean it isn't insider trading? If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....MJ, you are supporting this because it's the Liberal Party are you? :135:

Having knowledge on a topic one comments on is always a good thing. It will be interesting when this gets investigated, it would appear Morneau is not as sharp as he thinks he is!

https://lop.parl.ca/content/lop/Researc ... htm#acivil

Here is some information that may answer some of your questions.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

maryjane48 wrote:The globe and mail looked into it and according to them nothing wrong happened .and since the accuser wont repewt the claims outside of parlement says all i need to know . Your free to have a press conference if you feel confident

Now do i like bill ? No not really .i think hes out for bill. Do i think he broke the law ? The evidence i saw so far no

It’s hardly conclusive to say that there’s nothing to pursue simply because a newspaper chooses to not pursue it.

And, if Morneau is a litigious type, why would the accuser want to expose himself to that by repeating (or repewting) outside of parliament (or parlememt).

It is actually a bit funny how transparently forgiving you are when the politics align for you. In other circumstances, you dredge up material and start dozens of threads with similar or much shakier circumstances.

When you say "your free to have a press conference", my *what* is free?
Your _____ free to have a press conference......???? Why would something of mine want a press conference? :135:
You and 71 others Like this post
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Well if you think he comited a crime stste it publicly . Im not saying bill is a person working only for canadians but what i am saying theres no evidence he commited a crime .you and your. Buddies seem to want to say our pm and his team are criminald .well step up and prove it
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

I suppose that no matter what, there will be those who will be jealous of Morneau's wealth. Given that he is married to a McCain heiress, one could argue that a $million here or there ain't that important to Bill. Hard to get over the natural distrust of the "silver spoon crowd".

That said, I would rather have someone with business experience and an MBA in Finance than a peanut chucker like Skippy Poilievre (who is a real piece of work and has worked against our democracy) who manged to squeak out a BA, or Sheer who is also a regressive person and only managed a degree in basketweaving 101 (political "science"). Both are the kind of politicians that I very much distrust, politicians who set out to make a career of politics and have no real connection to the real world, just to the bubble worlds of politics and Ivory Tower academia.

So on balance, Morneau is ok. Not my favorite, but a solid Finance minister.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

maryjane48 wrote:The globe and mail looked into it and according to them nothing wrong happened .and since the accuser wont repewt the claims outside of parlement says all i need to know . Your free to have a press conference if you feel confident

Actually, Pierre Polilivere left Parliament to ask Morneau to answer the question on the 680,000 shares in a press conference. So, once again, you're wrong in your blind defense of the Marijuana Party, umm, Trudeau Liberals.

Later Tuesday during question period, Poilievre responded by leaving the House early to ask his questions in the foyer, where he is not protected by parliamentary privilege.

"I am absolutely confident that everything I've said out there and in here is true," Poilievre said during question period. "Would he commit that, if I go out and repeat my question in the lobby at this moment, that the finance minister will meet me there and answer the question?"

There, Poilievre told reporters he is not alleging insider trading and said he's simply asking when Morneau sold his shares.

He then went back into the House and said Morneau had failed to answer his question, skirting the rule that MPs not mention another member's absence in the House.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/morneau ... -1.4423056
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

L fishing he was implying bill commited a crime in the house then wimped out outside . Lack of spine in that one :130:
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

Considering the dearth of talent le Trudeux has on the bench, his desire to cut Morneau slack is understandable. Heaven knows, there are far worse options in his caucus he could have tasked with spending Canada into poverty.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

My God, some of you people are so pathetic. The tax changes were announced in the Speech from the Throne. They were again announced, with details, when the Bill was put on the Order Paper. Everybody knew about the tax changes long before Mourneau's announcement in the House.

Polievre can claim that there was "insider trading", but he doesn't have the guts to say those words outside the Commons.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

d0nb wrote:Considering the dearth of talent le Trudeux has on the bench, his desire to cut Morneau slack is understandable. Heaven knows, there are far worse options in his caucus he could have tasked with spending Canada into poverty.

Actually that is just a partisan "all hat and no cattle" statement. When one considers that the nest the Conservatives come up with for a shadow minister of finance is Skippy Poilievre, who is neither qualified, nor anything but the shadiest and worst sort of politicians.

We are speaking here of Skippy, who barely squeaked out a BA. Skippy who is under a Compliance Agreement with Elections Canada for cheating. Skippy of the infamous "Fair" Elections Act garbage. Skippy of the "tar baby" comments. Skippy of the stupid comments about aboriginal folks that he had to formally apologize for.

Skippy is hardly a person with the qualifications, experience or temperament to be a finance minister is the best that the Conservatives can offer? Really? Or is Sheer's judgement in picking people really that bad? Seems so.

The only thing Skippy is any good at is chucking peanuts and cheating in elections. Seems Sheer is fine with that, I guess he had to pick someone he could look better than - so had to go for a very, very low brow selection for shadow finance minister.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Gone_Fishin wrote:

Actually, Pierre Polilivere left Parliament to ask Morneau to answer the question on the 680,000 shares in a press conference. So, once again, you're wrong in your blind defense of the Marijuana Party, umm, Trudeau Liberals.

Later Tuesday during question period, Poilievre responded by leaving the House early to ask his questions in the foyer, where he is not protected by parliamentary privilege.

"I am absolutely confident that everything I've said out there and in here is true," Poilievre said during question period. "Would he commit that, if I go out and repeat my question in the lobby at this moment, that the finance minister will meet me there and answer the question?"

There, Poilievre told reporters he is not alleging insider trading and said he's simply asking when Morneau sold his shares.

He then went back into the House and said Morneau had failed to answer his question, skirting the rule that MPs not mention another member's absence in the House.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/morneau ... -1.4423056

So just what then, is there that Skippy is saying is improper?

The smarmy little twerp is just playing schoolyard games. Sure, he did not "allege insider trading" outside of the house, he is just implying it. Morneau showed excellent restraint in not going out into the hallway with that weasel. Must admit if'n it had been me, I would have been tempted to go out there and shut the little yapping dog Poilievre up, and not with words.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

bob vernon wrote:My God, some of you people are so pathetic. The tax changes were announced in the Speech from the Throne. They were again announced, with details, when the Bill was put on the Order Paper. Everybody knew about the tax changes long before Mourneau's announcement in the House.

There are a great many things announced or not announced in the Throne Speech, that ultimately happen or may not happen. The Throne Speech is politics and therefore doesn't mean much, until it actually happens. Same with the 'Order Paper' -- it's just a list of things the Goverment plans to consider during its term. Any similarity to what's said in a Throne Speech and placed on the 'Order Paper', versus what actually happens over the next few years is strictly coincidental.

Therefore, the proposed tax change wasn't meaningful, until the Finance Minister rose in the House, and announced that the process for its implantation was begun. And only insiders knew when that was going to happen.

bob vernon wrote:Polievre can claim that there was "insider trading", but he doesn't have the guts to say those words outside the Commons.

As explained by another poster, he did insinuate out in an unprotected corridor, that he 'smelled a rat', and invited Maurneau to answer his questions. Maurneau did not follow through on his ill-advised threat of a libel lawsuit, instead choosing to ignore him -- thus making himself appear even more guilty, if that was possible.

Maybe he is not guilty, but the timing of the trades was terrible. As insider trading is a felony, wouldn't be surprised if the RCMP are looking into the matter -- phone calls, etc. You'll recall that it was timing of phone calls that cost a certain former premier and well known resident of Kelowna, a few million in fines and legal fees, when he was convicted of insider trading. :200:
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn

Return to “Canada”