Jobless rate at historic low

Postby maryjane48 » Dec 2nd, 2017, 8:31 pm

Omnitheo likes this post.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2665 posts

Re: Jobless rate at historic low

Postby christopher » Dec 3rd, 2017, 11:47 am

maryjane48 wrote:http://m.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/12/01/canadas-unemployment-rate-plunges-to-lowest-in-nearly-a-decade_a_23294064/?utm_hp_ref=ca-homepage

:130:

Must be more fast food outlets being built

Rwede likes this post.
christopher
Fledgling

Liked in: 198 posts

Postby GordonH » Dec 3rd, 2017, 1:17 pm

christopher wrote:Must be more fast food outlets being built

Or their EI benefits ran out & they are no longer in the system.
Next up: 2018 Memorial Cup, May 17–27, 2018. Teams QJMHL Champions, OHL Champions, WHL Champions & Host Team

3 people like this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6714 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Bsuds » Dec 3rd, 2017, 1:19 pm

Everywhere we go we see "We are Hiring" signs.
My Wife just stopped and said "you weren't even listening were you?"

I thought to myself, that's a weird way to start a conversation.

3 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 10248 posts

Postby Keith Duhaime » Dec 3rd, 2017, 2:10 pm

christopher wrote:
maryjane48 wrote:http://m.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/12/01/canadas-unemployment-rate-plunges-to-lowest-in-nearly-a-decade_a_23294064/?utm_hp_ref=ca-homepage

:130:

Must be more fast food outlets being built

Yes, may be a few of those, but also a lot of high quality jobs too and they are going wanting for people to fill them. And you can bet that some of the people restricted to applying at fast food outlets will be crying about their wage. Memo to them: taxpayers provided you opportunities like professional education (engineering, nursing, and med schools) at universities, and trade schools at community colleges, etc. Made the decision not to take advantage of it. Look in the mirror. Choices almost always come with consequences.

christopher likes this post.
Keith Duhaime
Fledgling

Liked in: 83 posts

Postby christopher » Dec 4th, 2017, 7:57 pm

How many of the jobs come by way of mass spending by the Government?
How many jobs come from NO tax dollars?
christopher
Fledgling

Postby Omnitheo » Dec 4th, 2017, 8:06 pm

christopher wrote:How many of the jobs come by way of mass spending by the Government?

Without a government in place providing security, infrastructure, and educated workers, a lot of jobs wouldn’t exist.

Likewise, if you look at the single greatest expense by government, healthcare, then you can see that there are hundreds of thousands of jobs across the country that exist because of it.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau

maryjane48 likes this post.
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2855 posts

Postby christopher » Dec 5th, 2017, 1:40 pm

Omnitheo wrote:
christopher wrote:How many of the jobs come by way of mass spending by the Government?

Without a government in place providing security, infrastructure, and educated workers, a lot of jobs wouldn’t exist.

Likewise, if you look at the single greatest expense by government, healthcare, then you can see that there are hundreds of thousands of jobs across the country that exist because of it.

Yes we all know that but with how many jobs have been created with out tax dollars to pay for all of this?
christopher
Fledgling

Postby Keith Duhaime » Dec 5th, 2017, 1:46 pm

christopher wrote:
Yes we all know that but with how many jobs have been created with out tax dollars to pay for all of this?

The more relevant question might be what is government doing to facilitate and/or stay out of the way of private business in filling the positions that are currently going wanting. For example, I know a lot of young engineers from Iran, Bangladesh, China, parts of Africa, and other places that would love to get PR and eventually citizenship here. So I wouldn't mind seeing a few more government employees in immigration to expedite the paperwork.
Keith Duhaime
Fledgling

Postby christopher » Dec 5th, 2017, 1:53 pm

Keith Duhaime wrote:
christopher wrote:

The more relevant question might be what is government doing to facilitate and/or stay out of the way of private business in filling the positions that are currently going wanting. For example, I know a lot of young engineers from Iran, Bangladesh, China, parts of Africa, and other places that would love to get PR and eventually citizenship here. So I wouldn't mind seeing a few more government employees in immigration to expedite the paperwork.

I know lots of the same with PR looking for work in Calgary.
christopher
Fledgling

Postby CapitalB » Dec 5th, 2017, 2:29 pm

I have a question about how we count jobs. Are temporary part time jobs real jobs?

I mean sure technically its a job obviously. For all the people out there that want a real job, full time and permanent, the glut of seasonal, part time, while we're busy, contract jobs are almost worse than a real job. I say nearly worse because you kind of get stuck in this barely scraping buy, rotating shift work lifestyle.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
CapitalB
Board Meister

Liked in: 428 posts

Postby Rwede » Dec 5th, 2017, 3:09 pm

Bsuds wrote:Everywhere we go we see "We are Hiring" signs.

Everywhere we go we see "We are McHiring" signs.

Yes, we McSee those McSigns McEverywhere.

"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

CapitalB likes this post.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5118 posts

Postby Keith Duhaime » Dec 5th, 2017, 3:34 pm

Rwede wrote:
Bsuds wrote:Everywhere we go we see "We are Hiring" signs.

Everywhere we go we see "We are McHiring" signs.

Yes, we McSee those McSigns McEverywhere.

There are people here that coild fill those jobs, but first we need to fix things like EI and put the word 'Insurance' back in so that like any real insurance, risk factors like educational attainment, claims history, etc. are accounted for in the premiums individuals pay.
Keith Duhaime
Fledgling

Return to Canada