Banks gouging ?

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Banks gouging ?

Post by maryjane48 »

http://m.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/12/06/c ... a-homepage

Of course they are but not one govt has done anything about it .if was me thete would be new regs by midnight
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Banks gouging ?

Post by Dizzy1 »

But it’s not up to you. In fact, it’s not up to anyone. Legislation in a democracy isn’t passed by one person.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 7th, 2017, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Do I think they are gouging...yes. But on the other hand I have bank stocks and get great dividends so won't complain. lol

Anyone out there who has investments will have some bank stocks in their portfolios somewhere so in effect will get a good portion of what they pay in fees back. If not more, I do.

So MJ I'm happy you don't have any control over it.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Keith Duhaime
Fledgling

Post by Keith Duhaime »

maryjane48 wrote:http://m.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/12/06/canadian-banks-accused-of-gouging-after-clocking-42-billion-in-profit_a_23299071/?utm_hp_ref=ca-homepage

Of course they are but not one govt has done anything about it .if was me thete would be new regs by midnight

As Bsuds alludes to, banks are almost always publicly traded companies. I know I've got a good chunk of my portfolio in them. I learned a longtime ago that these allegations are usually unfounded, and made by people with almost no financial literacy or numeracy. Ask them to do a basic CAPM analysis to show you that indeed their profits are out of line (ie significant statistical deviation from the SML), and they stare off into space like zombies. No need for new government regs.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Define Gouging?

You can be a bank owner too, you also can be a bank owner and a credit union customer.

Isn't freedom grand?

Well I guess only for those with the internal fortitude to actually THINK.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Most if not all credit unions either have very low user rates or none at all.
Everyone has choices.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

I had ruined my credit when i was a young addict. As time went by. It was really really hard to rebuild myself financially. Finally i got a government student loan. Had to take the loan document to several banks and credit unions. Finally. BMO helped me.

I will always have some business with BMO because of that.

I know they are a huge bank and very old. They were still the only people who wanted to help me re establish myself.

I think mj is just bitter
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

http://www.cbc.ca/1.4436832

I will put this story here as it speaks to the inhumane way banks view their customers
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Inhumane? The guy is beyond belief ... he rejects a settlement offer that would have reduced his $170,000 debt to $17,000 plus a family member was willing to pay it in full. Then has the gall to say "To me that information was more valuable. That's why I wouldn't accept it. And I don't have $17,000. Nor do I think they [the bank] deserve it," he said.

Good luck when the bank sues again and he's liable for the full amount.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Keith Duhaime
Fledgling

Post by Keith Duhaime »

maryjane48 wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/1.4436832

I will put this story here as it speaks to the inhumane way banks view their customers

How is what the bank proposed inhumane? What about the aged pensioner whose investment portfolio (be it personal or institutional) holds RBC stock? He might have a legitimate disability, but there are other people being victimized here.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

GordonH wrote:Most if not all credit unions either have very low user rates or none at all.
Everyone has choices.

Bang on, Gordon.

The Missus and I do our banking through a credit union rhyming with "Ghost Capital Pavings" (they have a branch in Kelowna...) -- our day to day banking costs zippo. They have a couple of free credit cards, and their loan rates are same as the big banks. Their online banking is IMHO, better than the RCB site I have to deal with. They have provided awesome service for the past 20 years that we've used them.

Our investments are largely via Q-Trade whose fees are excellent, considering all the services they offer.

So if you're unhappy with with your big chartered bank, have a look at their competition. You might be surprised ...
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

There's plenty of banks that don't charge any fees. I haven't paid bank fees in 20 years. Some people don't mind paying fees for extra service or convenience, it's their thing.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

maryjane48 wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/1.4436832

MJ, newsflash. A bank is a business. Why should he not have to pay it back. Why should the bank and shareholders be responsible for his debt? One day that bubble you live in is going to burst!
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

because i said he doesnt have to pay it back . One day your little bubble is going to burst .probably when trump stsrts nuclear war :200:

Return to “Canada”