Court blocks suncor random drug testing

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Court blocks suncor random drug testing

Post by GordonH »

Omnitheo wrote:Didn’t you lose a job for failing a drug test? How is that needed “in the patch”? If someone is capable of functioning with the help of a prescription to manage otherwise spontaneous anxiety issues, then there’s nothing wrong with it provided they’re taking their prescription. Same goes for people who suffer from chronic migraines and take a prescription that prevents them.

Not all drugs are the same. Some allow people to function, they need them, and they work better under them. Some drugs like caffeine are almost universally encouraged. Meanwhile other drugs are used to escape reality and lead to dangerous situations and thus precautions need to be taken to ensure people are fit to work.

What about the illegal drugs
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Omnitheo wrote:Didn’t you lose a job for failing a drug test? How is that needed “in the patch”? If someone is capable of functioning with the help of a prescription to manage otherwise spontaneous anxiety issues, then there’s nothing wrong with it provided they’re taking their prescription. Same goes for people who suffer from chronic migraines and take a prescription that prevents them.

Not all drugs are the same. Some allow people to function, they need them, and they work better under them. Some drugs like caffeine are almost universally encouraged. Meanwhile other drugs are used to escape reality and lead to dangerous situations and thus precautions need to be taken to ensure people are fit to work.

Lost plenty of jobs for failing drug tests. Still not gonna say it wasnt fair. I knew the rules i was breaking. And the consequences.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Re: Gordon, legality of drugs shouldn’t matter. “Legal” is up to the law to determine, and prosecute.

Workplaces should focus on impairment and detriment, regardless of legality. There are a number of prescription meds, or other legal drugs such as alcohol that can lead to significant impairment and harm.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Omnitheo wrote:Re: Gordon, legality of drugs shouldn’t matter. “Legal” is up to the law to determine, and prosecute.

Workplaces should focus on impairment and detriment, regardless of legality. There are a number of prescription meds, or other legal drugs such as alcohol that can lead to significant impairment and harm.

If I was ever injured because someone else's stupidity for being impaired on the job. That as :cuss: hole would have a lawsuit on his or her hands.
My right along with fellow workers to have a safe working environment, should trump any privacy issues.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:If I was ever injured because someone else's stupidity for being impaired on the job. That as :cuss: hole would have a lawsuit on his or her hands.
My right along with fellow workers to have a safe working environment, should trump any privacy issues.

I wish you the best of luck with that.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:If I was ever injured because someone else's stupidity for being impaired on the job. That as :cuss: hole would have a lawsuit on his or her hands.

Dizzy1 wrote:I wish you the best of luck with that.

Thank-you Dizzy1, I'm the type who believe there should be consequences for one pure stupidity (being impaired in the workplace, by drugs or alcohol). I'm sure others feel these individuals should be allowed get away with this behavior in the workplace. Then someone gets seriously injured or killed. Far to many get away with BS
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:Thank-you Dizzy1, I'm the type who believe there should be consequences for one pure stupidity (being impaired in the workplace, by drugs or alcohol). I'm sure others feel these individuals should be allowed get away with this behavior in the workplace. Then someone gets seriously injured or killed. Far to many get away with BS

I totally get where you're coming from - but its not as easy as you think it might be.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

It is a shame that it is so hard to enforce. There should be tight controls on any type of drugs including alcohol in the workplace. people should even have to advise there employer if they are taking prescription or over the counter drugs that would make them a danger in their workplace.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Dogs went thru a camp north of GP last night.
Guess thats just oil companies encouraging drinking and drug use hey MJ.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

Caffine? Really? This is what the argument came to? Wow...
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Chyren wrote:Caffine? Really? This is what the argument came to? Wow...

Its a drug thst can cause impaired judgment so why wouldnt it be included. Unless of course you want to pick and choose based on personal bias :smt045

https://www.caffeineinformer.com/harmfu ... f-caffeine
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

maryjane48 wrote:Its a drug thst can cause impaired judgment so why wouldnt it be included. Unless of course you want to pick and choose based on personal bias :smt045

https://www.caffeineinformer.com/harmfu ... f-caffeine

What are the chances that any employer would place coffee on a banned fluid list. Good luck with this one MJ
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Proves my point [icon_lol2.gif] personal bias and suncor isnt really concerned about preventing accidents
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Maybe they will just make it a condition of employment to submit to a bi-monthly test? Just take the word "random" out.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

maryjane48 wrote:Proves my point [icon_lol2.gif] personal bias and suncor isnt really concerned about preventing accidents

Its a cover your aasss world.

Return to “Canada”