Court blocks suncor random drug testing

vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Court blocks suncor random drug testing

Post by vegas1500 »

maryjane48 wrote:I dont know if letting dogs go through is invasion of privacy
I doubt ot as they have animals at airports. And border crossings . What they do not do at borders or airports is demand drug tests .

When its a person body things. Change . You seem to be only focused on one drug .and you refused to answer if someone drink booze should they lose their job
Alcohol is as much a drug as,crack is .

Does suncor screen for alcohol.use ?

If not i ask why not ?

So MJ, at airports if drugs are suspected they can be taken for secondary testing. Where did I focus on one drug? I used the term “drugs”. And in my opinion if a person is drinking on the job, they should be disciplined.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

I never asked if caught drunk or drinking thatsa,given as smoking a,joint on job site would be grounds for firing .i asked. If drug testing was allowed and someone had booze in their body should they lose their job its yes or no :130:
christopher
Board Meister

Post by christopher »

maryjane48 wrote:I never asked if caught drunk or drinking thatsa,given as smoking a,joint on job site would be grounds for firing .i asked. If drug testing was allowed and someone had booze in their body should they lose their job its yes or no :130:

the way it works if someone asks for help BEFORE they get tested no but they need to go to rehab and agree to testing . If they get tested for any reason and show positive they lose the job.
Last edited by christopher on Dec 8th, 2017, 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

For alcohol.christipher ?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Jflem1983 wrote:All suncor camps are dry camps. No booze. At least the ones i have worked on

Just because a camp is dry doesn't make it dry. There are few camps that have lounges where alcohol is available, but most camps have easy access to drugs and alcohol - and this isn't Suncor specific - all the players (Syncrude, CNRL, Imperial, Husky, Total, etc.) have the same problems. Drug dogs at respective aerodromes, camps and security gates are common as are random vehicle searches - and those have been on the rise in the last year.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -1.4424061

Personally, I'm not a fan of random drug/alcohol testing - never have been. While I understand the safety concerns of the argument, my personal views lean more towards privacy concerns, and I lean towards that direction from what I've seen with current drug/alcohol policies and the way those policies have been handled by some with a false sense of authority.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Pee testing is a cop out anyway.

Never needed it when I ran operations. All supervisors were properly trained, by the RCMP, to recognize signs of impairment. Yes, that meant the supervisor had to pay attention to employees coming on shift - but then that's part of their job. The union was consulted, and an agreement easily reached, including an appeal mechanism where the employee could request a pee test to prove the supervisor wrong (never happened).

What is important in the whole issue is that it is not just illicit drugs that cause impairment, nor is it just drugs and alcohol. The overall policy, briefly and generally put, was that employees must be able to safely and alertly perform their work.

It was very effective, and we never had a workplace accident where impairment was a factor. (We had very very few as all were onside that only zero accidents was acceptable.)
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Dizzy1 wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:All suncor camps are dry camps. No booze. At least the ones i have worked on

Just because a camp is dry doesn't make it dry. There are few camps that have lounges where alcohol is available, but most camps have easy access to drugs and alcohol - and this isn't Suncor specific - all the players (Syncrude, CNRL, Imperial, Husky, Total, etc.) have the same problems. Drug dogs at respective aerodromes, camps and security gates are common as are random vehicle searches - and those have been on the rise in the last year.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -1.4424061

Personally, I'm not a fan of random drug/alcohol testing - never have been. While I understand the safety concerns of the argument, my personal views lean more towards privacy concerns, and I lean towards that direction from what I've seen with current drug/alcohol policies and the way those policies have been handled by some with a false sense of authority.

Ya for sure dizzy. What i was getting at was. Suncor is not out telling guys to get stoned or drunk as a rubber boot. Suncor expects a man to be fit for duty. They do not encourage drunkeness.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Jflem1983 wrote:

Ya for sure dizzy. What i was getting at was. Suncor is not out telling guys to get stoned or drunk as a rubber boot. Suncor expects a man to be fit for duty. They do not encourage drunkeness.

Oh, I totally get that. Wasn't trying to imply otherwise.

There is zero tolerance for impaired employees (contractor or otherwise) on site (not just Suncor of course) and I know you're aware of that.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

Again the fact that people debate whether or not being on drugs and working is good or bad is absolute nonsense. The comment about being fit for duty is exactly right. Safety is paramount for everyone involved and if you're on drugs and I mean ALL drugs, then you're not worrying about others.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Chyren wrote:Again the fact that people debate whether or not being on drugs and working is good or bad is absolute nonsense. The comment about being fit for duty is exactly right. Safety is paramount for everyone involved and if you're on drugs and I mean ALL drugs, then you're not worrying about others.

If suncor did random testing and alcohol shows up in a,test should that person lose their.job ? Its easy yes or no :smt045
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

maryjane48 wrote:
Chyren wrote:Again the fact that people debate whether or not being on drugs and working is good or bad is absolute nonsense. The comment about being fit for duty is exactly right. Safety is paramount for everyone involved and if you're on drugs and I mean ALL drugs, then you're not worrying about others.

If suncor did random testing and alcohol shows up in a,test should that person lose their.job ? Its easy yes or no :smt045

*bleep* r u talking about. They do random testing. If they find a beer can in a garbage in camp they freak out. Obviously u have never been up to any big oilfield facility. It is not the good old days of hiding wiskey to keep warm in the winter. In my dads time thats how the oilfield was. Those days ended in the 90s.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

maryjane48 wrote:Its up to managment and the workers,themselves to police job sites .
But im willing to bet if you look on worksafe bc whst leading cause of death or injury you find this

https://www.worksafebc.com/en/health-sa ... statistics

Drugs doesnt even make the list

Just to raise a small point... Wouldn't you think that drugs didn't show up on the list because companies were allowed to random drug test employee's? What are the chances now that this defense of the random test is taken away that the drug use stat possible rises?
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

All drugs? You know caffeine is a drug right? You know there are people with anxiety issues that rely on drugs to function and work without breaking down into panic attacks? People with attention deficits that require drugs to be able to focus.

Blanket statements like these are foolish.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Omnitheo wrote:

All drugs? You know caffeine is a drug right? You know there are people with anxiety issues that rely on drugs to function and work without breaking down into panic attacks? People with attention deficits that require drugs to be able to focus.

Blanket statements like these are foolish.

Anxiety issues lol. Those people are not needed in the patch.

Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Didn’t you lose a job for failing a drug test? How is that needed “in the patch”? If someone is capable of functioning with the help of a prescription to manage otherwise spontaneous anxiety issues, then there’s nothing wrong with it provided they’re taking their prescription. Same goes for people who suffer from chronic migraines and take a prescription that prevents them.

Not all drugs are the same. Some allow people to function, they need them, and they work better under them. Some drugs like caffeine are almost universally encouraged. Meanwhile other drugs are used to escape reality and lead to dangerous situations and thus precautions need to be taken to ensure people are fit to work.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump

Return to “Canada”