Court blocks suncor random drug testing

Re: Court blocks suncor random drug testing

Postby GordonH » Dec 11th, 2017, 8:17 pm

Omnitheo wrote:Didn’t you lose a job for failing a drug test? How is that needed “in the patch”? If someone is capable of functioning with the help of a prescription to manage otherwise spontaneous anxiety issues, then there’s nothing wrong with it provided they’re taking their prescription. Same goes for people who suffer from chronic migraines and take a prescription that prevents them.

Not all drugs are the same. Some allow people to function, they need them, and they work better under them. Some drugs like caffeine are almost universally encouraged. Meanwhile other drugs are used to escape reality and lead to dangerous situations and thus precautions need to be taken to ensure people are fit to work.

What about the illegal drugs
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.

2 people like this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8291 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 11th, 2017, 8:34 pm

Omnitheo wrote:Didn’t you lose a job for failing a drug test? How is that needed “in the patch”? If someone is capable of functioning with the help of a prescription to manage otherwise spontaneous anxiety issues, then there’s nothing wrong with it provided they’re taking their prescription. Same goes for people who suffer from chronic migraines and take a prescription that prevents them.

Not all drugs are the same. Some allow people to function, they need them, and they work better under them. Some drugs like caffeine are almost universally encouraged. Meanwhile other drugs are used to escape reality and lead to dangerous situations and thus precautions need to be taken to ensure people are fit to work.

Lost plenty of jobs for failing drug tests. Still not gonna say it wasnt fair. I knew the rules i was breaking. And the consequences.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

Smurf likes this post.
Jflem1983
Guru

Liked in: 3272 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Dec 11th, 2017, 8:36 pm

Re: Gordon, legality of drugs shouldn’t matter. “Legal” is up to the law to determine, and prosecute.

Workplaces should focus on impairment and detriment, regardless of legality. There are a number of prescription meds, or other legal drugs such as alcohol that can lead to significant impairment and harm.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Guru

Liked in: 4377 posts

Postby GordonH » Dec 11th, 2017, 8:48 pm

Omnitheo wrote:Re: Gordon, legality of drugs shouldn’t matter. “Legal” is up to the law to determine, and prosecute.

Workplaces should focus on impairment and detriment, regardless of legality. There are a number of prescription meds, or other legal drugs such as alcohol that can lead to significant impairment and harm.

If I was ever injured because someone else's stupidity for being impaired on the job. That as :cuss: hole would have a lawsuit on his or her hands.
My right along with fellow workers to have a safe working environment, should trump any privacy issues.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.

Smurf likes this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby Dizzy1 » Dec 11th, 2017, 9:35 pm

GordonH wrote:If I was ever injured because someone else's stupidity for being impaired on the job. That as :cuss: hole would have a lawsuit on his or her hands.
My right along with fellow workers to have a safe working environment, should trump any privacy issues.

I wish you the best of luck with that.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Jflem1983 likes this post.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5134 posts

Postby GordonH » Dec 12th, 2017, 1:09 am

GordonH wrote:If I was ever injured because someone else's stupidity for being impaired on the job. That as :cuss: hole would have a lawsuit on his or her hands.

Dizzy1 wrote:I wish you the best of luck with that.

Thank-you Dizzy1, I'm the type who believe there should be consequences for one pure stupidity (being impaired in the workplace, by drugs or alcohol). I'm sure others feel these individuals should be allowed get away with this behavior in the workplace. Then someone gets seriously injured or killed. Far to many get away with BS

Smurf likes this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby Dizzy1 » Dec 12th, 2017, 1:29 am

GordonH wrote:Thank-you Dizzy1, I'm the type who believe there should be consequences for one pure stupidity (being impaired in the workplace, by drugs or alcohol). I'm sure others feel these individuals should be allowed get away with this behavior in the workplace. Then someone gets seriously injured or killed. Far to many get away with BS

I totally get where you're coming from - but its not as easy as you think it might be.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

2 people like this post.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5134 posts

Postby Smurf » Dec 12th, 2017, 7:36 am

It is a shame that it is so hard to enforce. There should be tight controls on any type of drugs including alcohol in the workplace. people should even have to advise there employer if they are taking prescription or over the counter drugs that would make them a danger in their workplace.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

maryjane48 likes this post.
Smurf
Guru

Liked in: 6312 posts

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 12th, 2017, 11:55 am

Dogs went thru a camp north of GP last night.
Guess thats just oil companies encouraging drinking and drug use hey MJ.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

vegas1500 likes this post.
Jflem1983
Guru

Postby Chyren » Dec 12th, 2017, 3:26 pm

Caffine? Really? This is what the argument came to? Wow...

Chyren
Board Meister

Liked in: 368 posts

Postby maryjane48 » Dec 12th, 2017, 3:29 pm

Chyren wrote:Caffine? Really? This is what the argument came to? Wow...

Its a drug thst can cause impaired judgment so why wouldnt it be included. Unless of course you want to pick and choose based on personal bias :smt045

https://www.caffeineinformer.com/harmfu ... f-caffeine
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2666 posts

Postby GordonH » Dec 12th, 2017, 4:08 pm

maryjane48 wrote:Its a drug thst can cause impaired judgment so why wouldnt it be included. Unless of course you want to pick and choose based on personal bias :smt045

https://www.caffeineinformer.com/harmfu ... f-caffeine

What are the chances that any employer would place coffee on a banned fluid list. Good luck with this one MJ

GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby maryjane48 » Dec 12th, 2017, 4:11 pm

Proves my point [icon_lol2.gif] personal bias and suncor isnt really concerned about preventing accidents
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2666 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Dec 12th, 2017, 4:34 pm

Maybe they will just make it a condition of employment to submit to a bi-monthly test? Just take the word "random" out.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 3912 posts

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 12th, 2017, 4:40 pm

maryjane48 wrote:Proves my point [icon_lol2.gif] personal bias and suncor isnt really concerned about preventing accidents

Its a cover your aasss world.

Jflem1983
Guru

PreviousNext

Return to Canada