Homestead

Homestead

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 17th, 2017, 7:52 am

Just curious how many on here have roots in the homesteads of western Canada.

With all the crown land out there doing nothing. All the homeless people in the cities.

Why is Canada not looking into this as a viable option for Canadians today. My uncle still lives on land my great grand dad homesteaded in 1904.

Great grand dad walked from Oklahoma to get some land of his own !
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

4 people like this post.
User avatar
Jflem1983
Guru
 
Posts: 5785
Likes: 12256 posts
Liked in: 3240 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 10:38 am

Re: Homestead

Postby TreeGuy » Dec 17th, 2017, 8:29 am

I know, the government can buy my house and give me some land and I will move there. Then they can fill my house with homeless people.

3 people like this post.
User avatar
TreeGuy
Moderator
 
Posts: 2912
Likes: 1554 posts
Liked in: 2942 posts
Joined: Oct 9th, 2005, 9:02 pm
Location: Westbank

Re: Homestead

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 17th, 2017, 8:35 am

Id be quick to leave the city as well.
Absolutely hate city life. Just need to stack enough cash to get some farm land and get the heck out.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

3 people like this post.
User avatar
Jflem1983
Guru
 
Posts: 5785
Likes: 12256 posts
Liked in: 3240 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 10:38 am

Re: Homestead

Postby Queen K » Dec 17th, 2017, 8:52 am

Jflem1983 wrote:Just curious how many on here have roots in the homesteads of western Canada.

With all the crown land out there doing nothing. All the homeless people in the cities.

Why is Canada not looking into this as a viable option for Canadians today. My uncle still lives on land my great grand dad homesteaded in 1904.

Great grand dad walked from Oklahoma to get some land of his own !


There's some historical context to go with your great grand dad's actions. The Canadian government wanted vast lands to be settled by Americans willing to be Canadian citizens in exchange for creating settlements. So a bounty of sorts was issued, $3 for men, $2 for women, $1 for children. And land.

There's no mention of the financial offer in this article, but I'll bet like me, there are a lot of people here on castanet whose ancesters are from this great settlement period.

https://www.pier21.ca/research/immigrat ... 67-to-1914


Jflem, when I do my many road trips though rural areas in BC I see "For Sale" signs everywhere. Oh god, the further East in the Kootenays you go, the more signs there are. I have a bit of a theory as to why. I figure people did exactly what you're talking about from Vancouver say even 20 years ago when they sold when they thought the market was "high". So if they were 50 plus years old when they bought for cheap in the Kootenays 20 years ago, they are in their 70s plus now, slowing down, needing more services, hence more properties are for sale.

Just a theory. Or else they inherited the properties but their own kids don't want to live so isolated from everything and don't want to grapple with six siblings over inheritance issues, taxes, etc. so mom and dad selling now is in fact a good tax move for everybody.

Or it's a bit of both ^^. I wonder how many are selling because they need medical appts all the time now and it's no longer practical to live so isolated. A lot service signs are out there, people who set up small businesses doing all kinds of private services because unless you are self employed, you are jobless.

Not trying to be discouraging, just going on what we've observed.
Last edited by Queen K on Dec 17th, 2017, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Could it be that a whole life can shift the day one starts telling the truth about what makes one happy?

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 54144
Likes: 12793 posts
Liked in: 13491 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:39 am
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: Homestead

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 17th, 2017, 8:59 am

Queen K wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:Just curious how many on here have roots in the homesteads of western Canada.

With all the crown land out there doing nothing. All the homeless people in the cities.

Why is Canada not looking into this as a viable option for Canadians today. My uncle still lives on land my great grand dad homesteaded in 1904.

Great grand dad walked from Oklahoma to get some land of his own !


There's some historical context to go with your great grand dad's actions. The Canadian government wanted vast lands to be settled by Americans willing to be Canadian citizens in exchange for creating settlements. So a bounty of sorts was issued, $3 for men, $2 for women, $1 for children. And land.




So does canada owe all those women all dollar. Gasp
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

Queen K likes this post.
User avatar
Jflem1983
Guru
 
Posts: 5785
Likes: 12256 posts
Liked in: 3240 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 10:38 am

Re: Homestead

Postby Queen K » Dec 17th, 2017, 9:06 am

Yes, a dollar, plus interest and monies for the insult. Because women back then quite literally worked themselves to death, what with looking after the 19 kids and all. :up:
Could it be that a whole life can shift the day one starts telling the truth about what makes one happy?

Jflem1983 likes this post.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 54144
Likes: 12793 posts
Liked in: 13491 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:39 am
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: Homestead

Postby TreeGuy » Dec 17th, 2017, 9:12 am

Jflem1983 wrote:So does canada owe all those women all dollar. Gasp


And a tearful apology from the PM.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
TreeGuy
Moderator
 
Posts: 2912
Likes: 1554 posts
Liked in: 2942 posts
Joined: Oct 9th, 2005, 9:02 pm
Location: Westbank

Re: Homestead

Postby Queen K » Dec 17th, 2017, 9:13 am

I like the way you think Treeguy. Preferably lots of tears and the cheque. But I didn't intend to turn Jflem's thread into a political commentary.
Could it be that a whole life can shift the day one starts telling the truth about what makes one happy?
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 54144
Likes: 12793 posts
Liked in: 13491 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:39 am
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: Homestead

Postby TreeGuy » Dec 17th, 2017, 9:20 am

Queen K wrote:I like the way you think Treeguy. Preferably lots of tears and the cheque. But I didn't intend to turn Jflem's thread into a political commentary.


No, but there seems to be such a political climate these days it can’t be helped.
User avatar
TreeGuy
Moderator
 
Posts: 2912
Likes: 1554 posts
Liked in: 2942 posts
Joined: Oct 9th, 2005, 9:02 pm
Location: Westbank

Re: Homestead

Postby OldIslander » Dec 18th, 2017, 9:39 am

It's a cool question, Jflem -- I'm surprised there have not been posts from folks whose ancestors did this.

I'm proud to say that my grandfathers -- on both my mother's and father's side -- came to the Okanagan in the late 1800's, and early 1900's, and pre-empted land. One was from England; the other Scotland. Among my most cherished family photos, are their log cabins surrounded by forest, where they eked out a living for a few years. But along came WW1 and with their strong British roots, they and all their brothers joined up at Vernon, and were sent off to Europe.

Both of my Grandfathers survived the war, and returned to the Okanagan -- mostly unscathed (although a couple of their brothers were lost on French battlefields...), and for reasons unknown, decided not to return to their pre-emptions. They took jobs down in the valley, met their wives, and raised their families. A son of one of those families and the daughter of another, met in the late 1940's, and your's truly was the result.

It was the lure of free land, that brought them here, and got them all started on wonderful long, productive lives.
"Any idiot can get through a crisis, it's the day to day living that wears one down."

5 people like this post.
User avatar
OldIslander
Fledgling
 
Posts: 345
Likes: 662 posts
Liked in: 451 posts
Joined: Apr 23rd, 2014, 9:48 am
Location: Vancouver Island

Re: Homestead

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 18th, 2017, 11:10 am

OldIslander wrote:It's a cool question, Jflem -- I'm surprised there have not been posts from folks whose ancestors did this.

I'm proud to say that my grandfathers -- on both my mother's and father's side -- came to the Okanagan in the late 1800's, and early 1900's, and pre-empted land. One was from England; the other Scotland. Among my most cherished family photos, are their log cabins surrounded by forest, where they eked out a living for a few years. But along came WW1 and with their strong British roots, they and all their brothers joined up at Vernon, and were sent off to Europe.

Both of my Grandfathers survived the war, and returned to the Okanagan -- mostly unscathed (although a couple of their brothers were lost on French battlefields...), and for reasons unknown, decided not to return to their pre-emptions. They took jobs down in the valley, met their wives, and raised their families. A son of one of those families and the daughter of another, met in the late 1940's, and your's truly was the result.

It was the lure of free land, that brought them here, and got them all started on wonderful long, productive lives.



This is more like what i thought i would get for responses.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
User avatar
Jflem1983
Guru
 
Posts: 5785
Likes: 12256 posts
Liked in: 3240 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 10:38 am

Re: Homestead

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 18th, 2017, 10:55 pm

Both sides of my family were german /russian. From way back. They had been in the states for some time. Came uo into southern sask. To homestead around Kindersley.

My dads family were quite successful farmers.

Moms family were dirt poor farmers. They farmed really really good land at Dodsland Sask. Moms father was an organic farmer back in the 50s. He never made much money. He was an awesome guy though .


Homesteading was a cool thing. On dads side my great grandpa he was good at breaking land. He turned his qtr section into a 5 section spread. Then it mostly got pieced off by later generations. My dad sold a prime quarter that is now being drilled out. Missed the boat on millions. :D
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

5 people like this post.
User avatar
Jflem1983
Guru
 
Posts: 5785
Likes: 12256 posts
Liked in: 3240 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 10:38 am

Re: Homestead

Postby Boda » Dec 19th, 2017, 4:13 pm

After emigrating from England my Grandfather homesteaded a quarter section near Viking Alberta in 1905.
He married the daughter of another farmer (that family is/was still there in 2003).
They had imigrated to the states earlier and moved north to homestead in the same area around the same time.

It's my understanding the Government gave huge swathes of land to CN as part of the compensation package to build the railroad coast to coast. CN either sold the land in later years or granted settlers chunks if they developed and stayed for a designated time frame.
In 2003 I saw the shack they raised their 7 kids in. Some other guy had been using it for a barn.
It had to be a tough go pulling stumps with Oxen to groom the fields.

5 people like this post.
User avatar
Boda
Board Meister
 
Posts: 689
Likes: 226 posts
Liked in: 248 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2007, 3:21 pm

Re: Homestead

Postby maryjane48 » Dec 19th, 2017, 4:27 pm

The govt awarded cn land from my family in manitoba. I have the scripts .should be good nest egg for my granddaughter in future settlements .ty cn and colonial. Robbers :130:
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17124
Likes: 10586 posts
Liked in: 2666 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Re: Homestead

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 19th, 2017, 8:24 pm

I appreciate the few ppl who told their family stories on here. Thats awesome.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
User avatar
Jflem1983
Guru
 
Posts: 5785
Likes: 12256 posts
Liked in: 3240 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 10:38 am

Next

Return to Canada

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest