Almost 4 out of 10 Pot Users drive...

Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Re: Almost 4 out of 10 Pot Users drive...

Post by Ka-El »

It can be done with an adequate roadside test ...

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Those roadside tests were the best party games.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

I think you may have misunderstood my post.

I actually approve of good roadside testing that isn't based on chemistry. Since I don't have skin in this game really (not a drug user, and not in law enforcement, nor do I even have friends or relatives in law enforcement) I was just wondering why it "seems" like we don't use this method anymore. When I watch a show like "Cops" or whatever they seem to use the "old fashioned" test only to use the findings in order to justify a breathalyzer? Since I have no experience with the law, I realize that I am just stating what it looks like, not necessarily what it is?

If these roadside physical tests are good, I'm not sure what the hullabaloo is about? Why can't we just administer these physical roadside tests and take people off the road who aren't fit to drive no matter what they ingested?
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote: Why can't we just administer these physical roadside tests and take people off the road who aren't fit to drive no matter what they ingested?

Possibly a better indicator of impairment - due to anything that might have been ingested.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I really don't care how they do it as long as they get impaired drivers off the road, preferably for a long time.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I don't know, after 3 hrs driving i'm not walking right for a little bit.
I think people don't like roadside physical type test cause they don't have faith in one persons judgement that could :cuss: up your life royally. Although this sort of judgement happens all the time by police in their work, driving is an activity most people can't avoid.
I'm sure there are some who are excellent at giving these test and coming up with an accurate accessment but i doubt many. I'm betting a quarter of okanagan seniors would fail one of these and drive fine.

Oh and would you want this lady driving? Guessing meth or something similar , Sad way
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

The tests are not balance tests. They are considered "divided attention task" tests. They get a person to do a bunch of stuff at once and see if you can. The tests take into account medical issues and are based on totality of a situation. Balance is just one of the issues.

https://duijusticelink.aaa.com/issues/d ... ssibility/

Great read here.

Return to “Canada”