Almost 4 out of 10 Pot Users drive...

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Almost 4 out of 10 Pot Users drive...

Post by GordonH »

jimmy4321 wrote:So the main difference between before July1st and after (assuming that date is held) is that cops will have a system in place and laws to try to detect marijuana impairment after legalization as apposed to now where someone needs to be blitz out their mind or caught in possession.

If you haven't watch this maybe you should, to see what Canadian law enforcement will be using to lay charges.
http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/episodes/2017-2 ... d-reliable
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

GordonH wrote:
jimmy4321 wrote:So the main difference between before July1st and after (assuming that date is held) is that cops will have a system in place and laws to try to detect marijuana impairment after legalization as apposed to now where someone needs to be blitz out their mind or caught in possession.

If you haven't watch this maybe you should, to see what Canadian law enforcement will be using to lay charges.
http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/episodes/2017-2 ... d-reliable

It's quite shocking to see the power the cops have to take anyone off the road they decide is impaired without any real proof. If you don't have a lawyer on retainer now, you better get one.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GrooveTunes wrote:It's quite shocking to see the power the cops have to take anyone off the road they decide is impaired without any real proof. If you don't have a lawyer on retainer now, you better get one.

At least with drinking & driving the police can back claims/charges up with the readings from breathalyzer.

With upcoming legalization of pot, they really don't have any science backing up their claims of impairment by pot.
So if the courthouse does not have revolving door now, it will soon be getting one.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

GordonH wrote:
GrooveTunes wrote:It's quite shocking to see the power the cops have to take anyone off the road they decide is impaired without any real proof. If you don't have a lawyer on retainer now, you better get one.

At least with drinking & driving the police can back claims/charges up with the readings from breathalyzer.

With upcoming legalization of pot, they really don't have any science backing up their claims of impairment by pot.
So if the courthouse does not have revolving door now, it will soon be getting one.

I wonder if the fellow that wasn't taken to the hospital when he had a stroke has filed a lawsuit? He certainly should.

https://www.hilltimes.com/2016/11/01/need-know-marijuana-legalization-canada-2/86116

Personally I think legalization will be the downfall for the LIBs. I think it's going to be a gong show come next summer.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Maybe it will be like a scene from Reefer Madness. People breaking out in a cold sweat, women being assaulted in the streets, maniacs drooling behind the wheel of speeding cars. It's gonna be hell. I plan on getting a supply of food for the barbecue, some beer, and just staying home until the madness subsides in a day or two.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Indeed. I tried marijuana once - it made me want to rape and kill.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

GordonH wrote:Bumped
Just watched the fifth estate on driving high.
It would appear the process of detecting high drivers (D.R.E) is a 30 year old flawed system.
So the police don't have system back up by science for detecting high drivers.
impo this is totally unacceptable, so based on this alone the July 1 legalization should be delayed.

Try a well over 50 year old flawed system.

It was improved when instruments were developed to measure BAC the physical tests were then used more or less to further confirm impairment.

BUT as you know, even with sports, they test athletes BEFORE they suffer a concussion so they have a base line. How do the police "experts" know if their subject drivers could perform the physical tests before ?

People are thinking VERY shortsightedly. Saying "what if the police stop you, in their "expert" opinion you are impaired, and you are charged"

Ya, what if you have a car accident ? Your bell is rung (quite understandably). The police expert says you are impaired. So in addition to the charges that will cost an arm and a leg to defend (and there's no way to claim those costs back) your insurance company WILL NOT fix/replace your vehicle. So a year or so later you "beat" the charges, your property may be fix/replaced, after the trial, and all it cost you was, what ? $10,000. You were sober obeying the law, made a driving error, you fought the charges, and you get the smirks, "you beat the charges" (in other words you were really guilty, you just got off on some technicality)
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

my5cents wrote:
BUT as you know, even with sports, they test athletes BEFORE they suffer a concussion so they have a base line.

They've started to do autopsies on people that are still alive?
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

johnny24 wrote:

Perhaps you're confusing Alzheimer’s with concussion. A concussion can be diagnosed without an autopsy.

http://www.concussiontreatment.com/base ... sting.html
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

They don't need to be dead to be tested.

What are some diagnostic tests for nervous system disorders?
Evaluating and diagnosing damage to the nervous system is complicated and complex. Many of the same symptoms happen in different combinations among the different disorders. To further complicate the diagnostic process, many disorders do not have definitive causes, markers, or tests.

In addition to a complete medical history and physical exam, diagnostic procedures for nervous system disorders may include the following:

Computed tomography scan (also called a CT or CAT scan). A diagnostic imaging procedure that uses a combination of X-rays and computer technology to produce horizontal, or axial, images (often called slices) of the body. A CT scan shows detailed images of any part of the body, including the bones, muscles, fat, and organs. CT scans are more detailed than general X-rays.

Electroencephalogram (EEG). A procedure that records the brain's continuous electrical activity by means of electrodes attached to the scalp.

Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). A diagnostic procedure that uses a combination of large magnets, radiofrequencies, and a computer to produce detailed images of organs and structures within the body.

Electrodiagnostic tests, such as electromyography (EMG) and nerve conduction velocity (NCV). Studies that evaluate and diagnose disorders of the muscles and motor neurons. Electrodes are inserted into the muscle, or placed on the skin overlying a muscle or muscle group, and electrical activity and muscle response are recorded.

Positron emission tomography (PET). In nuclear medicine, a procedure that measures the metabolic activity of cells.

Arteriogram (also called an angiogram). An X-ray of the arteries and veins to detect blockage or narrowing of the vessels.

Spinal tap (also called a lumbar puncture). A special needle is placed into the lower back, into the spinal canal. This is the area around the spinal cord. The pressure in the spinal canal and brain can then be measured. A small amount of cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) can be removed and sent for testing to determine if there is an infection or other problems. CSF is the fluid that bathes the brain and spinal cord.

Evoked potentials. Procedures that record the brain's electrical response to visual, auditory, and sensory stimuli.

Myelogram. A procedure that uses dye injected into the spinal canal to make the structure clearly visible on X-rays.

Neurosonography. A procedure that uses ultra high-frequency sound waves that enable the healthcare provider to analyze blood flow in cases of possible stroke.

Ultrasound (also called sonography). A diagnostic imaging technique that uses high-frequency sound waves and a computer to create images of blood vessels, tissues, and organs. Ultrasounds are used to view internal organs as they function, and to assess blood flow through various vessels.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthl ... _85,P00811
Bring back the LIKE button.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

my5cents wrote:
johnny24 wrote:

Perhaps you're confusing Alzheimer’s with concussion. A concussion can be diagnosed without an autopsy.

http://www.concussiontreatment.com/base ... sting.html

I wasn't getting confused. This is interesting info. I was just referring to diagnosing the effects (CTE), which needs an autopsy.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

johnny24 wrote:
I wasn't getting confused. This is interesting info. I was just referring to diagnosing the effects (CTE), which needs an autopsy.

I was simply using the example that some sports organizations are using, in one area a concern, concussions. In other words when conducting physical examinatins on athletes suspected of suffering concussions, they don't just rely on the exam they have established a base line.

I guess you choose to jump to a different codition caused by repeared concussive type injuries.

I suggest if that's what you want to discuss, start a topic.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

my5cents wrote:Perhaps you're confusing Alzheimer’s with concussion. A concussion can be diagnosed without an autopsy.

So can Alzheimers. I know, I just went through this with my mother.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

alanjh595 wrote:
So can Alzheimers. I know, I just went through this with my mother.

https://www.webmd.com/alzheimers/guide/ ... is-tests#1

Getting a Diagnosis

Doctors can’t definitely diagnose Alzheimer's disease until after death, when they can closely examine the brain under a microscope. But they can use tests to rule out other conditions that might cause the same symptoms.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Try again.

Capture.JPG

Return to “Canada”