Almost 4 out of 10 Pot Users drive...

my5cents
Guru

Re: Almost 4 out of 10 Pot Users drive...

Post by my5cents »

alanjh595 wrote:Try again.

Capture.JPG

Lets talk about this on a Forum about disease diagnosis. This one is about "Almost 4 out of 10 Pot Users drive..."
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

my5cents wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:Try again.

Capture.JPG

Lets talk about this on a Forum about disease diagnosis. This one is about "Almost 4 out of 10 Pot Users drive..."

Okay, YES, you are right, my bad. I am sorry for getting off track. Alzheimer's is a very touchy subject for me right now.

I apologize to all involved in this topic.
Bring back the LIKE button.
capleton
Board Meister

Post by capleton »

People die from car crashes while talking on cell phones plus booze, not pot, good reefer madness post though.
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

capleton wrote:People die from car crashes while talking on cell phones plus booze, not pot, good reefer madness post though.

Wow talk about a massive over generalization. No crashes have ever been linked to marijuana use?
http://www.bcmj.org/council-health-prom ... le-crashes <---Canadian medical journal

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/08/25/c ... atalities/

I'm not saying its as bad as driving drunk or driving on cell phones but to say pot isn't involved with some crashes is putting your head in the sand.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Chyren wrote:
I'm not saying its as bad as driving drunk or driving on cell phones but to say pot isn't involved with some crashes is putting your head in the sand.

I think that one big difference though is pot can be involved in an accident. Alcohol and distraction are the actual causes of an accident. Pot is a factor, it slows reaction time a bit, in my personal and lengthy experience significantly less than the slowness from a T3. A better comparison would be old age, a really stoned person probably has a reaction time approaching that of a driver in their 80s.

The biggest problem with this subject is the majority of people commenting on this are pretty ignorant of the actual effects of pot and consider things that are many times stronger in effect as comparable. The marijuana / alcohol analogy is completely useless thats like comparing alcohol to fentanyl, and comparing it to distracted driving is also pretty useless unless your making the argument that a stoned person may be more prone to distraction (though the opposite could also be argued).

There absolutely needs to be a line drawn for inebriation, I don't however think anyone is going to come up with a handy measuring system, like the blood alcohol content level, that isn't by nature just broken. Checking the blood doesn't distinguish between recent and long term use, testing breath is easily tricked and would have trouble accounting for the various ways of intake.

Is there a solution to these issues? I don't know. I have my personal limit of too much, that I know by feeling. I also know generally how long it takes to come down from there to be in my safe zone.
~I'm sure some people are going to make some sort of zero tolerance argument in response to this but your delusional and you should stop making this crazy argument. I don't care if you have the same stance for alcohol, thats not how things work, and likely never will be so why bother pushing such a niche stance. ~
That being said I have to really put an effort into getting that high because it takes quite large amount of thc to get there. It also takes less than an hour to come down to a manageable level, which is the general time frame of being stoned. Two factors that pot smokers will almost universally agree with, but also points that will make all non users very uncomfortable because they can't stop comparing it to alcohol.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
capleton
Board Meister

Post by capleton »

Chyren wrote:
capleton wrote:People die from car crashes while talking on cell phones plus booze, not pot, good reefer madness post though.

Wow talk about a massive over generalization. No crashes have ever been linked to marijuana use?
http://www.bcmj.org/council-health-prom ... le-crashes <---Canadian medical journal

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/08/25/c ... atalities/

Car crashes with pot also involve some other substance, usually booze. that ridiculous argument has already been refuted numerous times
Last edited by capleton on Jan 31st, 2018, 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

And I'd venture that a study on alcohol done to these standards would result in a finding that 9 out of 10 alcohol users drive within 2 hours of consuming an alcoholic beverage. It doesn't mean they're driving drunk, just like this study on marijuana users doesn't mean they're driving impaired.

This story is meaningless in this context and was done just for the fear-mongering headline.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Here we go.
67 days for 'very high' driver
Colton Davies - Jan 31, 2018 / 5:52 pm | Story: 217717

Photo: Castanet Staff
A woman was handed a 67-day jail sentence in Penticton court on Wednesday for charges related to hitting another woman with her car in Oliver last week.

Angelene Solien, 22, pleaded guilty on Monday to assault with a weapon, possession of stolen property under $5,000 and failure to stop at an accident.

On Wednesday, Solien appeared in court via video and pleaded guilty to an additional charge of breach of probation, which she was serving from a separate incident last year.

On Jan. 26, RCMP in Oliver responded to an injured pedestrian report on Lakeshore Drive, and later found out a woman had been struck by Solien's vehicle after a disagreement.

Solien was later arrested by RCMP in Princeton after crashing the vehicle, which police said had been stolen from Oliver the previous day.

In her sentencing, Judge Michelle Daneliuk said Solien's offences were a result of using drugs.

Daneliuk pointed out that Solien's boyfriend said she was "very high" on methamphetamine when she crashed the vehicle late at night, and that she had been using the drug regularly for a month.

Solien was allegedly heading to Vancouver and planning to live transiently in a tent city. She only had her learner's license as well.

Daneliuk also said that Solien could have gone into drug treatment with her mother's help — who was present in the courtroom on Wednesday — but she refused.

"It is in part a social problem, and in part a medical problem, and unfortunately the courts are not very well equipped to deal with those aspects... And we're left dealing with the fallout of that, which is the criminal conduct that inevitably occurs."

Daneliuk noted that the situation was "extremely dangerous" for Solien and other members of the public.

“Frankly, it’s just extremely fortunate that she didn’t injure herself or someone else as a result of this driving.”

For account of time already served, Solien will spend the next 58 days in prison followed by her 12-month probation

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... igh-driver

Close enough to home for the pro-drug crowd?
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

^^ driver was on meth, not pot, big difference.

We must return to field sobriety tests, and perhaps the field sobriety test should be changed to include impairment that is inclusive of all substances.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

As far as I aware there is only a roadside test to check for impairment. To determine what drug, would require a blood test at a medical facility and only after lab results were obtained.
capleton
Board Meister

Post by capleton »

alanjh595 wrote:Here we go.
67 days for 'very high' driver
Colton Davies - Jan 31, 2018 / 5:52 pm | Story: 217717

Photo: Castanet Staff
A woman was handed a 67-day jail sentence in Penticton court on Wednesday for charges related to hitting another woman with her car in Oliver last week.

Angelene Solien, 22, pleaded guilty on Monday to assault with a weapon, possession of stolen property under $5,000 and failure to stop at an accident.

On Wednesday, Solien appeared in court via video and pleaded guilty to an additional charge of breach of probation, which she was serving from a separate incident last year.

On Jan. 26, RCMP in Oliver responded to an injured pedestrian report on Lakeshore Drive, and later found out a woman had been struck by Solien's vehicle after a disagreement.

Solien was later arrested by RCMP in Princeton after crashing the vehicle, which police said had been stolen from Oliver the previous day.

In her sentencing, Judge Michelle Daneliuk said Solien's offences were a result of using drugs.

Daneliuk pointed out that Solien's boyfriend said she was "very high" on methamphetamine when she crashed the vehicle late at night, and that she had been using the drug regularly for a month.

Solien was allegedly heading to Vancouver and planning to live transiently in a tent city. She only had her learner's license as well.

Daneliuk also said that Solien could have gone into drug treatment with her mother's help — who was present in the courtroom on Wednesday — but she refused.

"It is in part a social problem, and in part a medical problem, and unfortunately the courts are not very well equipped to deal with those aspects... And we're left dealing with the fallout of that, which is the criminal conduct that inevitably occurs."

Daneliuk noted that the situation was "extremely dangerous" for Solien and other members of the public.

“Frankly, it’s just extremely fortunate that she didn’t injure herself or someone else as a result of this driving.”

For account of time already served, Solien will spend the next 58 days in prison followed by her 12-month probation

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... igh-driver

Close enough to home for the pro-drug crowd?

That does not help you at all, we are talking about MARIJUANA, not meth.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

capleton wrote:That does not help you at all, we are talking about MARIJUANA, not meth.

Neither one can be tested roadside. Both would require blood tests.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

What do people think about a return to the old fashioned sobriety tests they used to do on the roadside? (Walk the line, say the alphabet backwards, pupil reaction, fingertip to nose etc.)

Is there a reason why these tests fell out of favour? Was it the breathalyzer being so easy and quick? Does/is the physical roadside test not accurate?
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

alanjh595 wrote:
capleton wrote:That does not help you at all, we are talking about MARIJUANA, not meth.

Neither one can be tested roadside. Both would require blood tests.

Have you seen a person high on meth up close? It’s pretty dam noticeable! Hard to miss the involuntary body jerks, head bobbing around, constant fidgeting, sores, pupils, general weird behaviour plus possible paraphernalia. A field sobriety test would easily show this person is high enough on something to take them off the road.

I sure as f :cuss: hope people are not comparing weed to meth, that’s like comparing Tylenol to Fentynol.
Last edited by ferri on Feb 2nd, 2018, 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Word censor workaround.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:What do people think about a return to the old fashioned sobriety tests they used to do on the roadside? (Walk the line, say the alphabet backwards, pupil reaction, fingertip to nose etc.)

Is there a reason why these tests fell out of favour? Was it the breathalyzer being so easy and quick? Does/is the physical roadside test not accurate?

How do you figure they've fallen out of favor? The "old fashioned" tests are court recognized and science recognized and are still used today. They are also standardized and aren't the "alphabet" or other such weird tests. Look it up.

Return to “Canada”