Could we build the railway or trans Canada hwy today

Jflem1983
Guru

Could we build the railway or trans Canada hwy today

Post by Jflem1983 »

I dont think we could. It would disturb the spirit bear or something. It would be endless protest. Totally insane
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: Could we build the railway or trans Canada hwy today

Post by TreeGuy »

And the railway would cost a lot more to build without all the free Chinese labor.

While we ride the rail in comfort we should remember those that gave their lives for it.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Seems to take about 10 yrs to get any portion of anything built, from surveying to yellow lines Lol

Be more interesting if we could do it again, knowing what we know now what we do differently.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

It would be like Standing rock all over again. Environmental nuts would make a huge mess. It would take the army to remove their camps. Would drag on for years.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Jflem1983 wrote: I dont think we could. It would disturb the spirit bear or something. It would be endless protest.

I think you are right. The concept of “nation-building” inspired Canada at that time, and the importance of joining the coasts was exciting. Now we have everyone looking out for their own self-interests (or interests of lobbyists) and placing them ahead of the collective well-being of Canada. If not the Enbridge pipeline, we could have piped oil to the east and refined it here in Canada, yet we have people who think we should shut down the oilsands despite the fact we and the world will be dependent on oil and its by-products for many, many years (decades) to come yet. The oil companies have detailed plans to bring the land back to better than before condition, but we have folk who would rather see the oil dangerously transported by rail. We need a leader with some vision who will bring this nation together again.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

The railway was built despite the fact that the Conservative Party was heavily involved in the corruption of the Pacific Scandal during the construction. While the names have changed, the same corruption would happen today, with either the Liberals or Conservatives filling their pockets.

And about those humanitarian oil companies and their "detailed plans to bring the land back to better than before condition"...... do you really expect us to believe that? C'mon man! These are the same folks who try to spread some bales of straw over the oil saturated land and tell us that it's all been cleaned up.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

No.
The endless reasons why would crash the Net.

Not to mention that the existing ones are a couple decades behind
in maintenance and upgrades.

Who's gonna do the work, the latest generation ? Hahahahahahahahahahahaha !!!
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

When i see old buildings in NY/Chicago or bridges etc it's not so much the buildings that impress me but i'm mostly in awe as to how the *bleep* they get anything done and without the modern equipment and technology today and at that they still stand and are used. The 10 yrs i mentioned earlier for a section of Hwy doesn't even consider the time to generate the political will. :swear:
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

jimmy4321 wrote:When i see old buildings in NY/Chicago or bridges etc it's not so much the buildings that impress me but i'm mostly in awe as to how the *bleep* they get anything done and without the modern equipment and technology today and at that they still stand and are used. The 10 yrs i mentioned earlier for a section of Hwy doesn't even consider the time to generate the political will. :swear:

I have the same thoughts when I look at the big trestle on the kettle valley railway. How the heck did they do that without our modern machines.

C54704B4-399C-43F7-AB46-179D882DC708.png
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

They had skills and iron wills .

Our grand parents and great grand parents were a great generation. Only took 70 years to completely ruin everything they did

dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Jflem1983 wrote:They had skills and iron wills .

Ahem, don't forget there was also no such thing as civil rights.

An expendable work force where workers could be thrown into situations where they
may not come back out from.

New immigrants, Prisoners, Interm Camp "residents" and Hobo's
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

dirtybiker wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:They had skills and iron wills .

Ahem, don't forget there was also no such thing as civil rights.

An expendable work force where workers could be thrown into situations where they
may not come back out from.

New immigrants, Prisoners, Interm Camp "residents" and Hobo's

Ah the good old days .

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Good thread and thoughts Jflem. I also agree that today if the hwys of today had to be built, there wouldn't be any.

And some Chinese labourers were lined up and shot down, rather than pay them the nothing they earned.
Canada is so full of ugly history.

Oh, and do we really want the homeless and addicts of today building infrastructures? :200: Um, no.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Queen K wrote:Oh, and do we really want the homeless and addicts of today building infrastructures? :200: Um, no.

Who else you gonna entice under them boulders with the 'charge'
or dangle from a trestle.

" here's a fix....fetch....."

Doh, that ain't right..... [icon_lol2.gif]

Return to “Canada”