Senator Lynn Beyak booted from Conservative caucus

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

OTTAWA—After months of controversy and condemnation over her statements on residential schools, Conservative Senator Lynn Beyak was kicked out of the party’s caucus late Thursday night.

Sen. Larry Smith, chief Conservative in the Red Chamber, said in a statement that the move came after consultation with party leader Andrew Scheer.

“We have concluded that Senator Beyak will no longer be a member of our Senate Caucus and, consequently, the National Conservative Party of Canada Caucus,” the statement said.

“As an internal Party issue, I consider (the) matter closed and will have no further comment.”

In his own statement, Scheer said the decision came down to Beyak’s refusal to take down letters of support for her comments on residential schools that she posted on her personal senate website in recent months.

Scheer cited one letter in particular, which said: “‘I’m no anthropologist but it seems every opportunistic culture, subsistence hunter/gatherers seeks to get what they can for no effort. There is always a clash between industrial/organized farming culture that values effort as opposed to a culture that will sit and wait until the government gives them stuff’.”

Scheer said: “To suggest that indigenous Canadians are lazy compared to other Canadians, is simply racist... Racism will not be tolerated in the Conservative Caucus or Conservative Party of Canada.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/201 ... aucus.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Snman
Übergod

Re: Senator Lynn Beyak booted from Conservative caucus

Post by Snman »

Naturally, they've done the politically correct thing. I hope the Indians are happy.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Wow. The fact you don't recognize the overt and blatant racism contained in these letters shows just how far we still have to go (you'd think he pulled it from these forums - it is certainly representative of the ignorance we so often see displayed on some of these threads). I'll give Scheer credit for doing the right thing on this matter

Scheer cited one letter in particular, which said: “‘I’m no anthropologist but it seems every opportunistic culture, subsistence hunter/gatherers seeks to get what they can for no effort. There is always a clash between industrial/organized farming culture that values effort as opposed to a culture that will sit and wait until the government gives them stuff’.”

Scheer said: “To suggest that indigenous Canadians are lazy compared to other Canadians, is simply racist... Racism will not be tolerated in the Conservative Caucus or Conservative Party of Canada.”
Last edited by Ka-El on Jan 5th, 2018, 7:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
MrSandman

Post by MrSandman »

j watson wrote:Naturally, they've done the politically correct thing. I hope the Indians are happy.

was going to comment on your use of the word "indian", however a post search under your account shows that you flaunt the word with no regard to it's factual definition and/or appropriateness. carry on
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

MrSandman wrote:
j watson wrote:Naturally, they've done the politically correct thing. I hope the Indians are happy.

was going to comment on your use of the word "indian", however a post search under your account shows that you flaunt the word with no regard to it's factual definition and/or appropriateness. carry on

Just so you know, I contacted a friend of mine who is a former Chief and asked him about the use of the word "Indian", he replied:

"Indian" has far reaching legal implications. eg the Indian Act. If we are called anything else, It weakens our strength of claim to our Title and Rights.
I view First Nation as a treaty term.

:topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
MrSandman

Post by MrSandman »

"indian" is a foreign word that was introduced to north america through colonization. The context with which it can be used varies and in some cases can be useful within the right context.

Like i said in my previous post "appropriateness"
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

^ Context is also important. There are First Nations people who have no problem using the term. Similar to African Americans in Detroit calling each other "*bleep*". I certainly wouldn't recommend any white guy trying that. But hey - it seems you will always have some people who are willing to critically look at and challenge their own assumptions and behavior (really not that hard), and then those who will go to extraordinary lengths to continue making excuses for it.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

I don't really care if any of you dislike the term 'Indian' quite frankly. They use the term themselves, it's only the holier than thou among you who think you're in a position to judge. Check out this link and you'll see many bands in BC alone refer to themselves as INDIAN BANDS. Then, go ahead and cry me a river.
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/envi ... -z-listing
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

j watson wrote:I don't really care if any of you dislike the term 'Indian' quite frankly. They use the term themselves,

Ka-El wrote:^ Context is also important. There are First Nations people who have no problem using the term. Similar to African Americans in Detroit calling each other "*bleep*". I certainly wouldn't recommend any white guy trying that.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
MrSandman

Post by MrSandman »

ferri wrote:Senator Lynn Beyak booted from Conservative caucus

good riddance to trash. now let's see if she'll ever get booted from senate (unlikely)
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Seems a smart move by Sheer. Even if somewhere there is some form of logic she intended she presented everything in ways that don't reflect what any party would want represented.

When they get dumb.... Cut em loose.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 6th, 2018, 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Was this really Scheer’s decision? This may actually be the first evidence of the boy having a backbone and not simply being a pawn to the whims of the Conservative party.
Last edited by Omnitheo on Jan 5th, 2018, 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
damager

Post by damager »

j wats, that's some quality trolling there my friend. hat's off to you

Return to “Canada”