Ontario raises minimum wage - Workers Lose

Jonrox

Ontario raises minimum wage - Workers Lose

Post by Jonrox »

The headlines say it all... what did they expect to happen? That businesses would just absorb tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars in added expenses and not react?

Minimum wage increases could lead to 60,000 fewer jobs by 2019: Bank of Canada
https://www.thestar.com/business/economy/2018/01/03/minimum-wage-increases-to-result-in-60000-fewer-jobs-by-2019-bank-of-canada.html

Multiple Tim Hortons franchises, other businesses cut pay, benefits, citing minimum wage hike
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tim-hortons-heirs-minimum-wage-wynne-ontario-1.4472878

On the flipside...

AT&T promises $1,000 bonus to workers after tax overhaul
http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/20/news/companies/att-bonus-tax-cuts/index.html
In a statement, AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson hailed "Congress, working with the President" for taking a "monumental step" that will "create good-paying jobs."
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Ontario raises minimum wage - Workers Lose

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Kathleen Wynne is just trying to buy votes. Pure and simple.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

I guess no one told them about the new minimum wage increase coming to a province near you. That is fantastic for workers.

https://www.bnn.ca/canadian-jobs-market-on-fire-as-unemployment-falls-to-41-year-low-1.959888
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

GrooveTunes wrote:. That is fantastic for workers.
]

The few that stay employed. Yup.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GrooveTunes wrote:I guess no one told them about the new minimum wage increase coming to a province near you. That is fantastic for workers.

https://www.bnn.ca/canadian-jobs-market-on-fire-as-unemployment-falls-to-41-year-low-1.959888

The workers themselves are the only ones that are responsible for providing themselves with a "living wage" - if they don't like how much they're making, then they are the ones that need to do something and change their financial goes - not expect those who have changed their career path to give the money they've worked for.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

Dizzy1 wrote:The workers themselves are the only ones that are responsible for providing themselves with a "living wage"

How is a dead person supposed to work for a business? A job needs to supply enough money for shelter and food at the least.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

HorganIsMyHero wrote:A job needs to supply enough money for shelter and food at the least.

and if it doesn't, then don't take that job.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

The Green Barbarian wrote:and if it doesn't, then don't take that job.

Yes, starve and wait for a job that pays enough. We've had this discussion multiple times. Also discussions about how people have different standards of living but really, even $15 an hour is barely enough for shelter and food. No i'm not talking about having 5 TVs and 10 Xbox systems lying around.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

And I guess just like most people have done in the past.
Pool resources.
There is no shame in having room mates.

Back in the dark ages when I was at Min. wage, there were five of us
sharing a 3 bedroom for $550.00 a month + utilities.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Of course if the minimum wage goes up the response from businesses will be to reduce hours and benefits to fight to retain their profit margins. Thinking that anything else would happen is short sighted at best, but that still doesn't mean that the increase is a bad thing. There are lots of reasons to have a higher minimum wage, and the costs to a few may well be justified by the benefits to others. The problem is that some of those who are in favour of a higher minimum wage don't understand the likely consequences and some of those who are against it think that all of those who are in favour of it are morons who don't understand the likely consequences. Both groups are wrong. It is a complex issue and one with lots of primary, secondary and tertiary effects, but sadly lots naively think it is either really bad or really good.
One perspective:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/06/26/new-study-casts-doubt-on-whether-a-15-minimum-wage-really-helps-workers/?utm_term=.c9edf1d2cfef
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/posteverything/wp/2017/06/27/seattles-higher-minimum-wage-is-actually-working-just-fine/?utm_term=.5d001f1a42ab
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

dirtybiker wrote:
Back in the dark ages when I was at Min. wage

Hmmmm, how come you're not making minimum wage anymore? :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:How is a dead person supposed to work for a business? A job needs to supply enough money for shelter and food at the least.

Don't like how much your job is paying? Take personal responsibility and do something about it - pretty simple :up:
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Dizzy1 wrote:Hmmmm, how come you're not making minimum wage anymore? :up:

Fake it till ya make it. :biggrin:
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

Dizzy1 wrote:Don't like how much your job is paying? Take personal responsibility and do something about it - pretty simple :up:

I know this is the standard response and it makes sense in a lot of situations not so much sense in many other situations. The world isn't this black and white, sadly.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:
I know this is the standard response and it makes sense in a lot of situations not so much sense in many other situations. The world isn't this black and white, sadly.

Baloney - there is no "situation" where it doesn't make sense. North America is founded on the very principle that people with absolutely nothing and in situations much worse than today were able to make a better life for themselves :up:

Return to “Canada”