Did the Conservatives pick a Dud?

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Did the Conservatives pick a Dud?

Post by The Green Barbarian »

I wonder how many of his male kids he forced to dress up as the female character from Paw Patrol during Halloween?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

ETA: Now that I've watched the entire vid, I wonder how you even came up with the gender bender question and Paw Patrol.
:200:

What's more, how do you even know about Paw Patrol GB? :D

ETA: Ah, I read your explanation: who knew you had a soft spot? :biggrin:
Last edited by Queen K on Jan 28th, 2018, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Andrew Scheer seems like a nice guy, with a nice family. And his background is very "middle class". But what "real world" work experience does he have, outside of student jobs and a short stint selling insurance? How well prepared is he to be our next PM?

Mind you, lack of "real world" experience didn't stop Trudeau; but I don't want to "jump out of the frying pan into the fire". I want a PM who can relate to ordinary working folk like myself and my family. Not a career politician who THINKS he knows what's best for us, but actually doesn't have a clue.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Merry wrote:Andrew Scheer seems like a nice guy, with a nice family. And his background is very "middle class". But what "real world" work experience does he have, outside of student jobs and a short stint selling insurance? How well prepared is he to be our next PM?

The next election campaign is going to be very amusing. :smt045

Merry wrote: Mind you, lack of "real world" experience didn't stop Trudeau; but I don't want to "jump out of the frying pan into the fire". I want a PM who can relate to ordinary working folk like myself and my family. Not a career politician who THINKS he knows what's best for us, but actually doesn't have a clue.

Trudeau has (and still does) come off as a bonehead sometimes, but his "world-travelling, jet-set ways" may actually have been part of the long game (maybe he is listening to someone, no?). Getting trade deals with other countries in place before NAFTA negations puts us in a much stronger position to negotiate. These deals might even leave Canada in a stronger economic state even if dum-dum throws NAFTA out. If our economy is still growing and people working come election time and Trudeau is seen as protecting our economic interests via increased global trade, he is going to be very hard to beat.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Ka-El wrote:Trudeau has (and still does) come off as a bonehead sometimes, but his "world-travelling, jet-set ways" may actually have been part of the long game (maybe he is listening to someone, no?). Getting trade deals with other countries in place before NAFTA negations puts us in a much stronger position to negotiate. These deals might even leave Canada in a stronger economic state even if dum-dum throws NAFTA out. If our economy is still growing and people working come election time and Trudeau is seen as protecting our economic interests via increased global trade, he is going to be very hard to beat.

Trade deals are not necessarily in the best interests of ordinary citizens; it all depends on the fine print. And we have yet to see the fine print on the TPP.

I'm all in favour of trade, because it's what Canada is built on. But I don't think we should automatically assume that every single free trade agreement is in our best interests. Like I said, it all depends on the fine print.

That said, I do agree that Trudeau is going to be hard to beat in the next election. Not because he is such a great PM, but because currently there isn't any viable competition. Scheer is not a Leader who inspires the masses to follow him, and neither is Singh (so far). So the way I see it, the only person that can beat Trudeau in the next election is Trudeau himself (through some kind of bonehead move).
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Merry wrote: Trade deals are not necessarily in the best interests of ordinary citizens; it all depends on the fine print. And we have yet to see the fine print on the TPP.

I'm all in favour of trade, because it's what Canada is built on. But I don't think we should automatically assume that every single free trade agreement is in our best interests. Like I said, it all depends on the fine print.

I agree, but if Cheeto throws NAFTA out we have to be able to export our goods somewhere. Of course there are those who are going to benefit more than others, but if people are still working and the economy is still growing it will be easy to sell Trudeau’s accomplishments as having protected Canadian interests. Besides, no matter how imbalanced the economic benefits, trade is what employs people in good paying jobs - and what does matter in politics is perception.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Queen K wrote:What's more, how do you even know about Paw Patrol GB? :D

I have a three year old niece, and have been forced to watch hours of Paw Patrol as well as spend countless piles of money on Paw Patrol accessories, of which there seems to be no end.

As an experiment, I asked her what character she wanted to be for Halloween. She said "Skye" without hesitation, looking at me like only a three year old can when asked a really stupid question. Not done, I asked her "don't you want to be Chase or Marshall?" and she shook her head. I said "why"? Once again, the stupid question look. "Because I'm a girl!!" she said, with all the logic, brains and reason missing in the world of today's social justice warrior.
Last edited by The Green Barbarian on Jan 28th, 2018, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Ka-El wrote:I agree, but if Cheeto throws NAFTA .

what is "Cheeto"? Some derogatory term for the Mexican president?
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

The Green Barbarian wrote:what is "Cheeto"? Some derogatory term for the Mexican president?

ImageImageImage

:130:
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The Conservatives in Ontario are on a path to pick the Donald Trump wannabe Doug Ford as their leader. In light of that, Andrew Sheer doesn't seem so bad.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

I dont feel Trudeau will be hard to beat come next election. I think most Canadians are fed up with his celebrity appearances taken precedence over running the country, Spending millions paying out terrorists, allowing them to come home in hopes they will turn a new leaf, M103,C-16, the investigation into his vacation trip funded by tax payers, and if that's not enough how about the awesome 17.8 billion deficit for 2016-2017. Their current popularity poll just released puts the Federal liberals below a 38% approval with Conservatives at 31%. Or from another poll 48% approve of the liberals in office so far while 45% disapprove.

Lets look at the progress to date:
Liberal Hits
1) Gender Balanced Cabinet 70% approval/13% disapproval
2) Income Tax Changes 84% approval/8% Disapproval
3) Canada's Global Rep 54% approval/16% disapproval
4) Carbon Tax 52% approval/Sask,Alb,Man 60%+/- disapprove

Liberal Misses:
1) Budget Deficits 70% disapproval/
2) Electoral Reform 66% disapproval/ 34% approval
3) 10$mil to Omar 59% disapproval/ 25% approval

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/luke-rebel ... 00284.html

Andrew Sheer may not have a perfect resume but really what previous PM did?
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Nedroj wrote: most Canadians are fed up with his celebrity appearances taken precedence over running the country, Spending millions paying out terrorists, allowing them to come home in hopes they will turn a new leaf, M103,C-16, the investigation into his vacation trip funded by tax payers, and if that's not enough how about the awesome 17.8 billion deficit for 2016-2017.

Even though I agree that most Canadians are fed up with the kinds of things you list, I still think that neither Scheer nor Singh have what it takes to beat him in the next election (i.e. Star power).

It's sad that something so frivolous will likely determine who our next PM will be, but that seems to be the way of the world these days when it comes to electing Leaders. Name recognition and good looks seem to matter more to people than experience and knowledge. Trudeau has both of the former, and little of the latter, yet he is still the front runner.

Scheer is far too "ordinary" to inspire those who vote for celebrity types to switch their vote.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

LiamHaddock wrote:

The Green Barbarian wrote:what is "Cheeto"? Some derogatory term for the Mexican president?

ImageImageImage

Still don't know what this is. I am guessing left garbage?
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Merry wrote:Even though I agree that most Canadians are fed up with the kinds of things you list, I still think that neither Scheer nor Singh have what it takes to beat him in the next election (i.e. Star power).

It's sad that something so frivolous will likely determine who our next PM will be, but that seems to be the way of the world these days when it comes to electing Leaders. Name recognition and good looks seem to matter more to people than experience and knowledge. Trudeau has both of the former, and little of the latter, yet he is still the front runner.

Scheer is far too "ordinary" to inspire those who vote for celebrity types to switch their vote.

I think calling it star power is a bit of a mistake. I think what your referring to is a politicians ability to utilize newer forms of media in their campaign. The 'frivolous' things our PM does to interact with regular people and keep his name / photos 'trending' are just how politics work now. You cant just go around kissing babies for reporters you have to interact with constituents through the same channels they use on a daily basis.

Younger voters don't watch tv news and don't read newspapers, they get their news from reddit, twitter, and facebook (:/) and as a consequence in order to sway their votes our politicians have to follow the audiences attention habits. Any politicians that dont wont get elected (despitesomepeoplethinkingtheyaretheonlygroupthatmatters...) its that simple, sure it would be nice if more policy made its way onto these platforms but that may not happen and honestly the best we can hope for is that having social media friendly politicians will be some sort of gateway drug into politics for younger people.
Last edited by CapitalB on Jan 31st, 2018, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.

Return to “Canada”