Did the Conservatives pick a Dud?

Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Re: Did the Conservatives pick a Dud?

Post by Ka-El »

Merry wrote: Even though I agree that most Canadians are fed up with the kinds of things you list, I still think that neither Scheer nor Singh have what it takes to beat him in the next election (i.e. Star power).

If the economy is still growing and people are still working then people are going to be very unlikely to risk voting for change.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Even though Trudeau is very unpopular (he's where Harper was in 2014), the polls show he's going to win with just as big victory as in 2015 (if an election were to happen today). As Trump has proven, being unpopular has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you're going to win.

P.S. it's wayyyyy too early to actually predict what will happen in 2020 with any level of confidence.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

Merry wrote:
It's sad that something so frivolous will likely determine who our next PM will be, but that seems to be the way of the world these days when it comes to electing Leaders. Name recognition and good looks seem to matter more to people than experience and knowledge. Trudeau has both of the former, and little of the latter, yet he is still the front runner.

Scheer is far too "ordinary" to inspire those who vote for celebrity types to switch their vote.

Its incredibly sad that our government leader is being chosen under the same standards as the latest Survivor or Big Brother TV show winners are. It's even more sad that some people will not vote for Scheer simply because he's under the Conservative flag and therefore must be a bigot, homophobe, racist, etc. You know all those names Liberals like to call the right when they have no valid argument.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Glacier wrote: P.S. it's wayyyyy too early to actually predict what will happen in 2020 with any level of confidence.

It is going to get very entertaining around here. I can hardly wait :biggrin:
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

https://globalnews.ca/news/4017725/andrew-scheer-2019-election-about-freedom/

Sure seems like a nothing list of anything Scheer has in mind for leadership.

Pursue a trade deal with the UK, which the Liberals are already doing.

Pretend that Canada is not a free and open country??? Huh? We're at the top of world rankings - what on earth is Scheer mumbling about?

Yap-yapping about deficits when Harper ran deficit after deficit, and Mulroney ran deficit after deficit?? Where is the Conservative record you profess to run on Andrew???

And this cracks me up:

"But the claim of the governing Liberals to being the only feminist party must also be challenged, MP Rachael Harder said during a panel on conservatism and feminism.

The Alberta MP was blocked from being the head of the Commons status of women committee last year by the Liberals and the NDP, who argued that her pro-life views made her an unsuitable candidate."

As does this:

"But while in previous years conservatives have packed the main ballroom of a downtown Ottawa convention centre, it was not until Scheer’s closing remarks on the day that the more than half the room was filled."

Sounds to me like not even Conservatives are enthusiastic about Andrew Scheer...
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Hobbyguy, your bigotry and hatred are blinding you. You make sense criticizing the NDP provincially for their reckless spending, but for some odd reason, you love Trudeau for doing the same and worse. Sheer could be promising to be the biggest cutter of spending ever, and you'd still be saying how the Conservatives just want to spend like drunken sailors. I think the reason for this is that you hate Harper (and I can't blame you either, so most of us were sick of him), but this weird obsession with Harper and his record is getting old. It's like how people on the right like to keep bringing up the sins of the 1990s NDP or how people on the left don't like the BC Liberal's new leader because of hatred of Gordon Campbell or Christy Clark.

Every politician stands on their own, and they are not responsible for past failings of the party. What I'm reading from your posts is that Sheer is a dud because he hasn't disavowed Harper strong enough for your liking.

P.S. In my opinion, it's too early to say whether or not the Conservatives picked a dud. Most governments defeat themselves, so his fortunes are probably more determined by Trudeau's perform than whether or not he's a dud.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Glacier wrote:Most governments defeat themselves, so his fortunes are probably more determined by Trudeau's performance than whether or not he's a dud.

I agree. Nonsense such as the new rules recently announced by our Environment Minister could well end up causing the Liberal Government's demise (my bold)
All projects will be assessed not just for environmental impacts, but also for impacts on health, the economy, social issues, gender and Indigenous rights.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4013893/cath ... -projects/

I've always considered myself to be a feminist, but fail to see how "impacts on gender" should be a factor in deciding whether or not to approve a project such as a new mine, or a pipeline. Sounds as though they're mixing "apples and oranges" to me, and making the process much more complicated than necessary.

It's important that our environmental assessment review process be both credible and effective, but it also needs to be efficient and adding unnecessary layers of determinants, for purely political reasons, hinders rather than helps the process. Such political grandstanding will end up hurting our economy, and eventually lead to the Trudeau Government's demise.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Nedroj wrote: It's even more sad that some people will not vote for Scheer simply because he's under the Conservative flag and therefore must be a bigot, homophobe, racist, etc.

These are just excuses to mask or drown out those saying "Well what about that airhead idiot we have for PM right now and his reckless and stupid spending?"
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Nedroj wrote: It's even more sad that some people will not vote for Scheer simply because he's under the Conservative flag and therefore must be a bigot, homophobe, racist, etc.

These are just excuses to mask or drown out those saying "Well what about that airhead idiot we have for PM right now and his reckless and stupid spending?"

And what an airhead he is! Trying to play all sides of a hexagon without a clear direction other than to be "Politically Correct"
If Trudeau keeps it up, he'll be doing the Conservatives a favor and just hand Sheer the PM seat. A lot of Canadians are waking up and realizing that he isnt the knight in shinning armor everyone (and myself) thought. He's *bleep* away millions of our tax dollars to terrorists, luxury vacations fit for a king, and providing funds to organizations linked to terrorists groups. He's *bleep* off the big businesses increasing their taxes in an already heavily taxed country. He's *bleep* off the Vets and their families, he's *bleep* off the libertarians for squashing free speech. He's *bleep* off the Christians, Jews, Mormons, etc. communities with M103 directly protecting Islam from being criticized. and furthermore Publicly stating that Islam is a religion of peace?
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Nedroj wrote:And what an airhead he is! Trying to play all sides of a hexagon without a clear direction other than to be "Politically Correct"
If Trudeau keeps it up, he'll be doing the Conservatives a favor and just hand Sheer the PM seat. A lot of Canadians are waking up and realizing that he isnt the knight in shinning armor everyone (and myself) thought. He's *bleep* away millions of our tax dollars to terroristsFALSE, luxury vacations fit for a kingHim and every other world leader and politician., and providing funds to organizations linked to terrorists groupsFALSE. He's *bleep* off the big businesses increasing their taxes in an already heavily taxed countryGood, why should we bend over for a bunch of greedy companies.. He's *bleep* off the Vets and their familiesYeah I guess but our government has been doing that for decades.
Didn't hear people flipping out when the harper conservatives did the same.
, he's *bleep* off the libertarians for squashing free speechI don't even know what this ones about. The people kind thing? Mountains out of molehills.. He's *bleep* off the Christians, Jews, Mormons, etc. communities with M103 directly protecting Islam from being criticizedFALSE. M103 is a a bill that by its own words
develop a whole-of-government approach to reducing or eliminating systemic racism and religious discrimination including Islamophobia, in Canada, while ensuring a community-centered focus with a holistic response through evidence-based policy-making,
Specifically worded on that and the other sentences to try to combat systemic racism and religious discrimination.
. and furthermore Publicly stating that Islam is a religion of peace?As much of a religion as peace as any other, they all kind of stem from violent roots. Also just like every other religion they have a number of different denominations and lumping them all together is about the same as lumping catholics with protestants and mormans.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau seems to prefer spending his time – and your money – overseas.

While Trudeau was glad-handing with the communist dictator of Cuba, his government announced funding to a UN organization with open ties to Islamist terrorists.

On Wednesday, the Trudeau government announced it would send $25 million taxpayer dollars to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA), an organization that is supposed to provide relief and social services to Palestinian people.

This may not seem out of the ordinary, since Canada funds all sorts of UN projects and schemes. But UNRWA is not just another UN agency.

UNRWA has, according to various experts, been infiltrated by Hamas members and sympathizers. Hamas is an Islamist terrorist group, as designated by the Government of Canada.

Unlike most other UN agencies, UNRWA employs highly partisan and radical ideologues. UNRWA employees openly support terrorism and routinely elect a slate of pro-Hamas, pro-terrorism candidates to run its official union.

UNRWA has a long and sordid history of supporting terrorism.

In 2002, an UNRWA ambulance driver was arrested by Israeli security services. The man, Nidal Nazzal, admitted to transporting weapons and explosives to Hamas terrorists using his UN-branded ambulance.

The agency promised to crack down on employees who openly work with terrorists.

And yet a decade later, during the 2014 war between Hamas and Israel, terrorists were caught on video storing weapons and launching rockets from UNRWA buildings.

When UNRWA schools and hospitals aren’t being used to hide rockets and launch attacks against Israel, they are being used to indoctrinate a new generation of Arab children with a dangerous and hateful ideology.

According to a report from the Mideast Freedom Forum, UNRWA schools and textbooks “propagate a climate of violence” and undermine a peaceful and constructive understanding of Jewish people and the state of Israel.

Occasionally, UNRWA will cancel its school programs altogether and send Palestinian children directly to Hamas – where they receive military training and are groomed to become terrorists.

A 2014 report by the Near East Policy Research Center, titled “The UNRWA-Hamas Axis” provides an explanation for the extremism within local schools. The report found that eleven out of fourteen positions on the UNRWA teachers’ union were held by members of Hamas.

http://torontosun.com/2016/11/18/trudea ... 76f282d534
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

So what do the last couple of posts have to do with this thread topic?
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

The more people hear about it, the more people are outraged by the dangerously weak policy of the Trudeau government towards ISIS fighters returning to Canada.

That outrage extends to the pathetic political correctness the government is using to refer to Islamic State fighters who are seeking to return to Canada.

Here’s what Trudeau government spokesman said Dan Brien (obviously using PMO approved talking points), when asked about Canada’s policies on ISIS fighters coming back to the country:

“Returning foreign terrorist travellers and their families, specifically women and children, require the appropriate disengagement and reintegration support.”

While the “reintegration support,” is the most disturbing part, the fact that the government is trying to “rebrand” dangerous Jihadis as “returning foreign terrorist travellers” is absurd.

This is disgracefully manipulative wording by the Trudeau government. These people weren’t sightseeing in a place terrorism happened to occur. They were actively fighting on behalf of a brutal terrorist organization.

https://www.spencerfernando.com/2017/11 ... ravellers/
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Bsuds wrote:So what do the last couple of posts have to do with this thread topic?

Glacier made the point that Governments often defeat themselves, rather than be defeated by the Opposition. And the point was made that the Liberals have policies that may well achieve their demise. Capital B denied that point, and one of his comments was that it is not true that Trudeau has given money to terrorists and/or terrorist organizations.

My first post proves that indeed our taxdollars HAVE been given to terrorists (and I didn't even mention Kadhr). And the second post is yet another example of how the Liberals may be self defeating.

And in that case, it won't matter whether or not the Cons made the best choice for Leader, because they might win regardless.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Merry wrote:Glacier made the point that Governments often defeat themselves, rather than be defeated by the Opposition. And the point was made that the Liberals have policies that may well achieve their demise. Capital B denied that point, and one of his comments was that it is not true that Trudeau has given money to terrorists and/or terrorist organizations.

My first post proves that indeed our taxdollars HAVE been given to terrorists (and I didn't even mention Kadhr). And the second post is yet another example of how the Liberals may be self defeating.

And in that case, it won't matter whether or not the Cons made the best choice, because they might win regardless.

The UNRWA is not a terrorist organization, and they don't support terrorist organizations. I guess you could try to blanket label all palestinians as terrorists, or make the argument that some of their humanitarian works may have helped terrorists but thats either racist, religious discrimination, or just a bad argument. So ohh no our government gave money to a humanitarian group that helps people without judging them for the actions of other people in their country. I guess you can try calling HAMAS a terrorist group but they mostly seem to be trying to position themselves as the sovereign government of the palestinians. Which causes obvious problems since palestine is under martial law, trade and travel sanctions, etc which is run by the authoritarian israely government. This whole area is a mess on both sides and I personally would rather not get into a discussion about israeli palestinian politics. Thats an ugly quagmire full of antisemitism, islamophobia, and broken politics.

The thing with the ISIS terrorists returning is being blown fairly out of proportion. They repeatedly say "and their families, specifically women and children". The rest of the governments statement on this subject makes it sound like they are presuming people innocent until proven otherwise. Thats how our legal system works. Should we start making exceptions to that system?

Kadhr was captured when he was 15 and tortured for a decade breaking a number of national and international laws. This whole line of discussion is totally blatantly ignorant and people need to stop bringing it up.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.

Return to “Canada”