Did the Conservatives pick a Dud?

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Did the Conservatives pick a Dud?

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Not sure how far Ferri is going to let us wander off the main topic, but here's more reasons why I am voting Scheer:

A celebration of the man, the myth, and the meme that is everyone’s political crush.

There is no world leader as beloved (or loooved) as Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. Dynamic, smart, charismatic, compassionate, and sometimes sassy, he has quickly emerged as not only a dominant politician, but as a model-like role model to millions around the globe.

This laugh-out-loud tribute to the head (and heart) of the Canadian government is filled with photos of Trudeau. Delivering speeches in finely tailored suits to boxing shirtless, from looking dashing while running the government to looking sexy while running in short shorts, and charming everyone from constituents to royalty with his sparkling eyes, wit, and smile. This book collects all the photos that prove he puts the “prime” in prime minister.

Accompanied by the author’s sweetly off-kilter thoughts about Trudeau’s many remarkable physical and intellectual assets, philosophies, and actions, as well as her quirky observances about Canadian culture, this is the book for anyone who’s ever thought “O, Canada!”.

No substance, just garbage. I wonder how many pictures this person has of Justin running around India. Oh right, this book came out before that trip. That will be in the next book.

For all of the JT fanbois out there, here's where you can buy this book:

http://www.rizzoliusa.com/book.php?isbn=9780789334282

And then there's this:

Why is JT having a discussion with Bill Nye, the non-science guy? Who would want to watch this brainless dreck?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Merry wrote:I agree that there have been a significant number of centre leftists (such as myself) who are shifting over to the centre, or even right of centre, because of extremist positions being taken by radical leftists who appear to have infiltrated first the NDP, and now the Liberals.

Shutting down free speech in the name of political correctness was the first act of these extremists. Now they want to destroy our economy in the name of saving the environment.

It's ironic that I used to consider myself as a person who stood up for the environment. But for me that didn't mean destroying jobs, and hurting workers. It mean't making sure that we had good laws in place to ensure that industry was conducted in as environmentally sound way as was possible, and that working conditions were safe. I still believe in those things, but the focus of our current environmentalists on completely eliminating new industrial development has shifted Government policy away from making sure we have sustainable development and good working conditions, to simply trying to make sure we have any industry at all.

Nowadays, every time Governments try to enact laws that will make industries operate in a more environmentally sound manner, the enviro loons use the need for such laws as evidence that we ought to eliminate that industry altogether. Ditto for laws that protect workers from environmentally unsafe practices. And the result has been a weakening of such laws, rather than the elimination of the industrial development which the enviro loons were hoping for.

I don't believe anybody wants to see industry allowed to ruin our environment. But people do need jobs to pay for food and a roof over their heads. And trying to turn Canada into one big park is not going to help achieve that. So I agree that if the left continues down it's increasingly radical path, more and more centre left Canadians will begin to shift their priorities closer to the right, and the Cons will win the next election.

There is a big divide between those of us who balance priorities and wish to conserve the beauty and wildness of our country and what I refer to as the plastic kayakers.

Genuine organizations like the Nature Conservancy do more for the environment without all the fuss than the "plastic kayakers" all lined up in a villains row. I doubt you would find more than a handful of Canadians, if any, that don't want the natural beauty of our country preserved, and reclaimed where possible.

That's the old "conservationist" approach of the likes of Teddy Roosevelt and many others that gave us national parks etc.

I have some deep suspicions of some of the so called "environmentalists" and their agendas that lead to nowhere. Discussions about energy with them are impossible, because they refuse to see that solar panels and wind turbines have very limited benefits in very limited circumstances. I also note that the "approach" is always "you will do as we say", bad science, and even worse mathematics. I also note that their agendas are consistently aimed at targeting economic interests of Canada and that most of their "news" outlets are extremely stilted and often publish what is patently false. Following the money that supports them just leads to more skepticism about their agendas. At least the likes of Exxon are more up front about their agenda.

In a time of far left populism (which ain't that far from far right populism) centrists are caught between a rock and a hard place. Reason, good science and logic get replaced with Facebook likes, and lots of Facebook likes garners more Facebook likes. Then I see things like the recent Castanet poll that got quite obviously run over by trolls, and I get nervous.

Old fashioned progressives that used to dominate both sides of the center left/right division seem to have fewer options. The old Progressive Conservative party of Joe Clark, John Diefenbaker, and even Brian Mulroney is gone, and has been replaced by something much further to the right. The Liberal party of Chretien and Martin has morphed a bit too far left, perhaps as reaction to far left populism, or an over reaction to a Harper government that moved too far right.

But I get more optimistic when I step back and see what our Canadian government is actually doing. In many ways I view JT as the "Facebook like getter" and what comes through as policy as quite positive for Canada via the real thinkers and doers within the cabinet.

Example: JT provides the "Facebook fodder" and the "housing is right" far left get distracted, meanwhile the government actually makes mortgages rules more rational (harder to get a mortgage) and raises interest rates - almost without them noticing.

Example: Same sort of JT flashy "Facebook like getting" over the budget, but the real economic analysis of enabling more women to successfully enter into and compete on an equal footing in the workplace is positive and sound. Fundamentally, a country that doesn't do that is ignoring half of its potential wealth generation.

Example: JT flashy stuff about indigenous rights/reconciliation etc. Meanwhile the government is actually, through a minister (Jane Philpott) actually trying to bring indigenous folks into a full justice and membership in Canada going forward. That may make some on the far right fringes uncomfortable, but the reality is we are all Canadians, we have a group of Canadians that were left out - which is wrong - and resolving their issues will make Canada not only a stronger country, but a more prosperous one.

Scheer has a bit that ability, but he isn't, I suspect, quite the right person to combat far left populism (which I see as the "something for nothing crowd"). He is too far from it, and more troubling, he doesn't seem to have a strong team behind him. And I don't sense a progressive bone in his body. He just doesn't have the "Joe Clark" DNA.

In the end, moving the country forward is the goal. I fail to see how Scheer has expressed anything that does that.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Not sure how far Ferri is going to let us wander off the main topic, but here's more reasons why I am voting Scheer:

A celebration of the man, the myth, and the meme that is everyone’s political crush.

There is no world leader as beloved (or loooved) as Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. Dynamic, smart, charismatic, compassionate, and sometimes sassy, he has quickly emerged as not only a dominant politician, but as a model-like role model to millions around the globe.

This laugh-out-loud tribute to the head (and heart) of the Canadian government is filled with photos of Trudeau. Delivering speeches in finely tailored suits to boxing shirtless, from looking dashing while running the government to looking sexy while running in short shorts, and charming everyone from constituents to royalty with his sparkling eyes, wit, and smile. This book collects all the photos that prove he puts the “prime” in prime minister.

Accompanied by the author’s sweetly off-kilter thoughts about Trudeau’s many remarkable physical and intellectual assets, philosophies, and actions, as well as her quirky observances about Canadian culture, this is the book for anyone who’s ever thought “O, Canada!”.

No substance, just garbage. I wonder how many pictures this person has of Justin running around India. Oh right, this book came out before that trip. That will be in the next book.

For all of the JT fanbois out there, here's where you can buy this book:

http://www.rizzoliusa.com/book.php?isbn=9780789334282

And then there's this:

Why is JT having a discussion with Bill Nye, the non-science guy? Who would want to watch this brainless dreck?

See my post to Merry. It is good for the "Facebook likes" and Twitter follows" - which may not matter to old futzes like me, but it does matter.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

"fanbois"

is that pronounced Fanbwa?
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

The Green Barbarian wrote:...

And then there's this:

OMG. Ew! Surely that's a joke. If it's real, that pretty much seals it. (Did you catch Nye's horrible, horrible mockery of a show on Netflix? Ew! Ew! Ew!)

Scheer and co. aren't likely to find any possible way to go that far off the rails. Did Scheer pay Nye to do this? Ew!
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

rustled wrote:
The Green Barbarian wrote:...

And then there's this:

OMG. Ew! Surely that's a joke. If it's real, that pretty much seals it. (Did you catch Nye's horrible, horrible mockery of a show on Netflix? Ew! Ew! Ew!)

Scheer and co. aren't likely to find any possible way to go that far off the rails. Did Scheer pay Nye to do this? Ew!

Behind it is good policy. The budget significantly increases R&D in both public and private sectors. (I would have liked to see even more.)

R&D is the key to the economy's future, and could prove critical as so many jobs are under thereat from AI.

So while JT gets Facebook likes and public relations points for the Bill Nye stuff, good policy is at work - and that should be enough for those who actually care.

I know, this kinda stuff doesn't really appeal to me either, but it does serve the purpose of selling good policy.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

But Nye? For pete's sake, isn't there someone more suitable? Bob McDonald, maybe? Someone who hasn't completely sold science down the river to shill instead?

I know, :topic: . Scheer. (Fortunately, that also helps get the "EW!" outta my mouth.)
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

HG - I get it that you'll never desert the Liberals no matter WHAT their Leader does (or doesn't do). But to say that you're satisfied that there's enough of the "old guard" to counter Justin's excesses simply doesn't cut it with me. Because I remember all too well that it was that same "old guard's" behaviour that elected the Cons back in the day. The whiff of scandal surrounding the "old guard" Liberal Government still leaves a stench in my nose.

As for the newer Liberal Ministers - well I do have more faith in them. Or at least in some of them. I particularly like Jane Philpot, and believe she is an able and competent Minister. But some of the others are totally lacking in political and world experience, and it shows. So, for the most part, I'm not impressed with the Liberal side of the house (which is why I voted for Tom Mulcair in the last election).

Like you, I am concerned that Scheer is a bit too far to the right for my taste; and I consider his buddy Polievre to be even worse. But I don't like the new NDP Leader (I've listened to some of his interviews on TV and am not impressed), and I like Trudeau even less (all style and no substance). So, as I'm forced to "pick the best of a bad bunch" Scheer is the one that comes out ahead.

I like most of what he says, but am disappointed that he's ruled Pharmacare out of hand. I wish he'd said he'd at least CONSIDER it, but if his interview on "West Block" is to be believed he won't even do that. However, as I don't entirely trust the Libs to implement it either, despite their comments in the Budget, I can't see Scheer's lack of support being a deciding factor for me when it comes time to vote. And I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Trudeau has done an excellent job of making himself look like an entitled idiot, and may well have handed the next election to the Cons as a result. He's certainly pushed me in that direction.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
justincase
Board Meister

Post by justincase »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
justincase wrote:
Lol.....The reformed Conservatives are not electable, were never electable!

they are very electable. They still control the right and center right, and are not splintered like the Liberals and NDP fighting over the dumbest pie in Canada, the center left and far left.

hahaha ... I see you are still deluding yourself that you are somehow close to the centre or perhaps "mainstream"? Well, I hate to break it to you, but you are not, not even close. You Reformed Conservatives sycophants are far and extreme right winger's and can barely see the centre let alone the left. That you continue to try to suggest centrist Canadian's (who are well to the left of you) are lefties shows the depth of your delusions.

That you and so many other Reformed Conservative supporters continue to delude yourselves about where you are on the "political spectrum" in Canada is both sad and pathetic. Accept that you are on the far right, that the majority of Canadian's don't agree with you (70+% of Canadian's neither like nor trust you) and move on, you will feel better about yourself once you do.
1) People forget conservatives used to be fiscally conservative. After harper, they have become fiscally liberal and socially racist. Fascism is the only thing they wish to conserve.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

justincase wrote:

[color=#0000FF]hahaha ... I see you are still deluding yourself

Oh the irony!! :laugh: :laugh:

And posting in color just makes you look silly. And kinda dumb.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

This had me LOL'ing the whole time. The big hug at the end with Justin was interesting. It reminded me of the one time I was able to get into the MP room after QP in Ottawa and saw how people who had been shouting at eat other minutes before were now talking in friendly tones and were best of friends. It kind of reminded me of professional wrestling.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

rustled wrote:

I now - why did Prince Vapid invite a fake scientist and man-made climate change myth shill Bill Nye? And you can bet our tax dollars are going into Nye's pocket. Just ridiculous. I look forward to the Liberals being punted out, and under Scheer, vacuous brainless stunts like this on our dime will be no more.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
rustled wrote:

I now - why did Prince Vapid invite a fake scientist and man-made climate change myth shill Bill Nye? And you can bet our tax dollars are going into Nye's pocket. Just ridiculous. I look forward to the Liberals being punted out, and under Scheer, vacuous brainless stunts like this on our dime will be no more.

We can hope!
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

When did Bill Nye claim to be a scientist? He’s a science presenter.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Omnitheo wrote:When did Bill Nye claim to be a scientist? He’s a science presenter.

He's a "science guy".

Return to “Canada”