Did the Conservatives pick a Dud?

hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Re: Did the Conservatives pick a Dud?

Post by hobbyguy »

Did the Ontario PCs just select Scheer's replacement (Doug Ford) after the next election?
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

hobbyguy wrote:Did the Ontario PCs just select Scheer's replacement (Doug Ford) after the next election?

At least he has some name recognition.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
justincase
Board Meister

Post by justincase »

hobbyguy wrote:Did the Ontario PCs just select Scheer's replacement (Doug Ford) after the next election?

Interesting thought. He seems like a genuine man.
1) People forget conservatives used to be fiscally conservative. After harper, they have become fiscally liberal and socially racist. Fascism is the only thing they wish to conserve.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

It's interesting to note how some Trudeau supporters appear to prefer the idea of fighting Harper's ghost in the next election, rather than Scheer and his current policies.

Could this be because they think that the memory of an unpopular PM will be easier to beat than the current PC Leader is going to be? Particularly given Trudeau's tendency to shoot his own Party in the foot with his outlandish behaviour.

Clearly the Libs are worried about the potential for a Tory win, or they wouldn't be trying to resurrect the memory of past opponents who are no longer an issue.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Merry wrote:It's interesting to note how some Trudeau supporters appear to prefer the idea of fighting Harper's ghost in the next election, rather than Scheer and his current policies.

Could this be because they think that the memory of an unpopular PM will be easier to beat than the current PC Leader is going to be? Particularly given Trudeau's tendency to shoot his own Party in the foot with his outlandish behaviour.

Clearly the Libs are worried about the potential for a Tory win, or they wouldn't be trying to resurrect the memory of past opponents who are no longer an issue.

There is a traditional center-left to center-right swing in Canada.

It usually follows a pattern of social changes combined with the quality and substance of leadership that a party puts forward.

At this point in time, I personally have nothing of substance from Scheer on policy, and as he seems to lean heavily on Skippy Poilievre which makes that impression worse. Scheer has done a couple of "Trump wannabe" things that look like "monkey see, monkey do" - which detracts from substance and leadership quality, not enhances them. It really seems at this point that Scheer only has "I'm not JT" - which is not nearly as strong as the "I'm not Harper" that JT benefited from.

Policy matters. And policy that can be implemented. Just haven't seen anything of substance from the Scheer team.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
justincase
Board Meister

Post by justincase »

Merry wrote:It's interesting to note how some Trudeau supporters appear to prefer the idea of fighting Harper's ghost in the next election, rather than Scheer and his current policies.

WHO?
1) People forget conservatives used to be fiscally conservative. After harper, they have become fiscally liberal and socially racist. Fascism is the only thing they wish to conserve.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

So strange, that seems to be exactly what happens in every thread involving trump. Every thread about the BC provincial elections. A number of attack ads and posts from conservative supporters during the last election.

What exactly is different about Scheer’s conservatives vs Harper’s?
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Omnitheo wrote:
What exactly is different about Scheer’s conservatives vs Harper’s?

I hope very little actually. I was a big fan. And still am. Especially compared to the dumb-dumb we have for PM now.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

hobbyguy wrote: Just haven't seen anything of substance from the Scheer team.

and I've seen nothing but nonsense from the Trudeau team.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
hobbyguy wrote: Just haven't seen anything of substance from the Scheer team.

and I've seen nothing but nonsense from the Trudeau team.

Then you haven't been paying attention.

One for sure you know about is approving the TMX.

Tightened mortgage rules. A new health agreement with the provinces. A new set up with the provinces for drug purchases - which should save about $13 billion. More R&D spending, and more incentives for private R&D. Completed CETA. Signed CPTPP after negotiations. Some real progress on women's issues.

Ya, there's a list of people too, but so far a bit more to the plus than minus because the mistakes, while very public, haven't caused any lasting harm.

Ya, I get fed up with the fighter plane football - but then the Conservatives never got anywhere with that one either. I think the Americans are playing us on the fighter issue, and always have been. Up to me, throw hands in the air and buy some Grippens - sigh, but then now is not the time P.O. Trump so... sit on hands....

Ya, the photo ops are a bit much for me, but then I'm not big on the social media stuff, and these days if you aren't buzzing the likes on social media, you don't get elected - so at least I understand it. Grumble, grumble says the old futz.

The real area to watch is to see if Jane Philpott can find a way to bring Ottawa and FNs together - or at least closer. That area has bugged me for a long time, because we are ALL Canadians - but I also understand the rubs. Economically and overall for the culture of Canada that's probably the biggest challenge, and it spills over into economics too. Somehow we have to get to "we all do better when we all do better" on that issue. Don't expect any miracles. But if Jane can move the ball a bit here, a bit there... it will be better for all concerned.

When I think about issues like that one, I fail to see what Scheer adds to the possibilities or the discourse.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Honestly this election would be a conservative landslide if the cons could get it together. Scheer appears to be the wrong guy. Sad. I wonder if its not deliberate to lead us further down the evil marxist path. Its a mania alright. Trudeau mania
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
justincase
Board Meister

Post by justincase »

Jflem1983 wrote:Honestly this election would be a conservative landslide if the cons could get it together. Scheer appears to be the wrong guy. Sad. I wonder if its not deliberate to lead us further down the evil marxist path. Its a mania alright. Trudeau mania

PERFECT......NDP says the Liberals are Conservative fascists and Conservatives say the Liberals are Marxist Commies! Can you not see the serendipity in that?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

justincase wrote:PERFECT......NDP says the Liberals are Conservative fascists and Conservatives say the Liberals are Marxist Commies! Can you not see the serendipity in that?

What I can see is the stupidity in someone trying to spin it that way.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Merry wrote: Clearly the Libs are worried about the potential for a Tory win, or they wouldn't be trying to resurrect the memory of past opponents who are no longer an issue.

Not exactly on topic, but is that why the Trump supporters keep deflecting to Hillary?
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

justincase wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:Honestly this election would be a conservative landslide if the cons could get it together. Scheer appears to be the wrong guy. Sad. I wonder if its not deliberate to lead us further down the evil marxist path. Its a mania alright. Trudeau mania

PERFECT......NDP says the Liberals are Conservative fascists and Conservatives say the Liberals are Marxist Commies! Can you not see the serendipity in that?

You gotta consider the fact that this was coming from a poster who wouldn't recognize a communist
if one came to his trailer door carrying a red flag with a hammer and sickle. That's high school stuff.

Return to “Canada”