National Compliment Day

TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

National Compliment Day

Post by TreeGuy »

Today is International Compliment Day.

Bman, I like your witty comments in the forums, they always make me laugh.

Go ahead, give it a try.

As a middle aged white male I don't see myself sitting on a park bench downtown doing this, the word creepy comes to mind.

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: National Compliment Day

Post by the truth »

seems to me the pendulum has shifted to far the other way now, so to be safe as not to offended a female -i say men keep your compliments to yourself, or you just might be the next guy that has 911 at your door
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

the truth wrote:seems to me the pendulum has shifted to far the other way now, so to be safe as not to offended a female -i say men keep your compliments to yourself, or you just might be the next guy that has 911 at your door

I guess if you aren't able to restrain yourself from making sexual or inappropriately flirtatious compliments to people sure. Personally I don't find it hard to find a nice thing to say to someone that isn't about their body or appearance so I've never really had trouble in that area.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

this has nothing to do with being sexual or inappropriate, even at work us male and female staff are talking about the me to movement, i asked the females is it inappropriate to say something like you look nice today with no sexual tone , just a nice complement nothing more, they all agreed its all good, but they also all agreed , that the male better not say it to the wrong female , cause it could be twisted around in a second--get it, got it, good
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

the truth wrote:this has nothing to do with being sexual or inappropriate, even at work us male and female staff are talking about the me to movement, i asked the females is it inappropriate to say something like you look nice today with no sexual tone , just a nice complement nothing more, they all agreed its all good, but they also all agreed , that the male better not say it to the wrong female , cause it could be twisted around in a second--get it, got it, good

Yep. And I see one of the suggested compliments is "You smell nice."

LOL.

Good luck with this, guys.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Some people just don't know how to take a compliment for what it is.

Some read way more into it than it's original intent.

I experience near zero kick-back on giving free compliments.
And do so openly and often to Family, Friends/Aquainances and
yes, even complete strangers.

99.9 % positive feed-back. the other %...meh....guess I was wrong.....
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

The OP has made a very inspiring and interesting topic available for all others to ponder and participate in. Thank you very much for your contribution.
Bring back the LIKE button.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

the truth wrote:seems to me the pendulum has shifted to far the other way now, so to be safe as not to offended a female -i say men keep your compliments to yourself, or you just might be the next guy that has 911 at your door

Who are the other guys that have had "911 at their door" from giving a compliment? Specifics rather than innuendo?

You have numerous posts referring to things like this so I’m really curious. I’m just as curious as to what compliments you and/or these people or your associates give out......

For most of society, the pendulum hasn’t shifted much at all.
Of course, the "family court" crowd seems to rally around your sentiments so maybe the correlation between a wife finally saying "I’ve had enough of your :cuss: " and then feeling you can’t be a total :cuss: to other women stresses some guys out?
You and 71 others Like this post
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

I think with the social climate the way it is out there it might be better for us guys to just keep our mouths shut. As a married guy that is easy, it serves no purpose for me to give out compliments to random women or to bother saying anything.

The compliment you give out and how it is perceived is very subjective. Who is giving it and who is receiving it, and which day of the week it is.

If women are getting harassed like the girl in the first video below, then I can understand why a random compliment might not be taken the right way or wanted.

Return to “Canada”