CBC's Fifth Estate Story on Roadside Drug Testing

lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

CBC's Fifth Estate Story on Roadside Drug Testing

Post by lesliepaul »

This past Friday, January 26th, the CBC's Fifth Estate did an excellent report on trying to determine impairment from drug or marijuana use while driving. If you did not see it, I am sure it will be repeated soon. It is an eye-opener on what many police officers are doing to determine if someone is on drugs. Several experts are interviewed and their comments are very interesting. What also is explained was what was happening on the U.S. side of the border and what our Canadian politicians think on the issue. One Canadian University professor summed up what he thought of the police being the ones making a determination on a persons condition..............."if you give some people a hammer, they see everyone around them as a nail".

At this time there are tests (blood, urine) to find traces of drugs in a persons system but NO WAY TO DETERMINE LEVEL OF IMPAIRMENT!

Worth the watch.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Re: CBC's Fifth Estate Story on Roadside Drug Testing

Post by Smurf »

Then marijuana should not be legalized in any shape or form until there are proper tests.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Smurf wrote:Then marijuana should not be legalized in any shape or form until there are proper tests.

Legal or not I don't think it will change who smokes and drives. They are doing it now.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

This article clearly shows that no matter how the government paints the picture of legalization, the challenges that the police face in dealing with the realities of it are massive. Police enforce laws they don't create them.

Legalizing marijuana is far overdue, however, the public's ability to understand that "legal" doesn't mean "ok to drive" will be tested.

Blaming the cops for a program that puts the the spotlight the epic challenges we as a country will face in 2018 is silly.

Lets figure out a proper way to figure this all out with respect to impaired driving. Alcohol impaired driving laws took decades to get where it is now and people know drinking and driving is wrong.

Until then, and after all the aches and pains we as a country will go though, how about simply not smoking weed and driving?

Pretty simple solution really.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

How does not legalizing it make the problem go away??
How do you think this country got to this point? Certainly not because it's easy politically to say let's legalize it.lol

If it remained illegal there will be NO pressure to come up with some way of detecting impairment, better laws etc.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Smurf wrote:Then marijuana should not be legalized in any shape or form until there are proper tests.

They will have the opportunity now to take their massive resources being used to police marijuana and put it towards actually patrolling the roads. No need to wait for a test for what might actually not be that big of a problem.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “Canada”