Notley Slams BC Oil Move

Notley Slams BC Oil Move

Postby Snman » Jan 31st, 2018, 3:37 pm

She absolutely right, imho. What do others think?

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#217687

Glacier likes this post.
Snman
Board Meister

Liked in: 258 posts

Re: Notley Slams BC Oil Move

Postby alanjh595 » Jan 31st, 2018, 3:40 pm

I agree.

"Having run out of tools in the toolbox, the Govt of BC is now grasping at straws. The BC Government has every right to consult on whatever it pleases with its citizens. It does not have the right to re-write our constitution & assume powers for itself that it does not have," Notley tweeted.

6 people like this post.
alanjh595
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1633 posts

Postby CapitalB » Jan 31st, 2018, 4:44 pm

I mean sure this has already been approved and all but all the governments that were in control for that have been widely condemned for taking bribes and basically giving the companies a blank check to do whatever they want. Should we be stuck with those choices?

I think that there a lot of good reason there to go back and review the guidelines set out for transporting bitumen through our provincial territory. I'm honestly under the impression that there is barely a plan in place for the eventual oil spills that would come after this. So yeah going over the whole thing seems like a great idea.
We are all capable of believing things which we know to be untrue, and then, when we are finally proved wrong, impudently twisting the facts so as to show that we were right. - George Orwell

Children call people names.

stuphoto likes this post.
CapitalB
Board Meister

Liked in: 324 posts

Postby Snman » Jan 31st, 2018, 4:52 pm

CapitalB, do you have links to back the claim of blank cheques? Also, what do you mean by eventual oil spills? I think that, statistically, oil spills are few and far between. Not to say they are not possible but are they in fact likely? Just asking.
Snman
Board Meister

Postby CapitalB » Jan 31st, 2018, 5:22 pm

This ones pretty good

This ones also pretty good.

I've only done a cursory glance of looking up years old news from when the cons where in power giving companies an all access pass.
We are all capable of believing things which we know to be untrue, and then, when we are finally proved wrong, impudently twisting the facts so as to show that we were right. - George Orwell

Children call people names.
CapitalB
Board Meister

Liked in: 324 posts

Postby bob vernon » Jan 31st, 2018, 5:44 pm

Exxon Valdez. It spilled oil just south of Anchorage in the 1980s when it ran aground. It took 26, yes TWENTY-SIX, years to finally get Exxon through the courts and then they finally settled for less than half the original amount. They delayed until a more oil-friendly judge was on the bench, and generally fought every inch for the 26 years.

Fishermen who passed away in those 26 years somehow conveniently had their estates left out of the settlement. Some areas south of Anchorage still have a paved ocean floor with no fish in the area. Fishermen in BC wonder if BigOil would do the same thing in BC waters. Of course they would.

P.S. I like driving my car. Send me gas. Don't send crude. Anti-business bias? Sure. Ever since the Exxon Valdez.

4 people like this post.
bob vernon
Übergod

Liked in: 1005 posts

Postby Snman » Jan 31st, 2018, 6:00 pm

Thanx CapB.
Snman
Board Meister

Postby Dizzy1 » Jan 31st, 2018, 9:07 pm

I find it interesting that both being the same political party, they are at odds over many things.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5050 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Jan 31st, 2018, 9:14 pm

Their responsibilities are first and foremost to their provinces. We are both doing what is in our own best interests.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau

2 people like this post.
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2641 posts

Postby Dizzy1 » Jan 31st, 2018, 9:44 pm

Omnitheo wrote:Their responsibilities are first and foremost to their provinces. We are both doing what is in our own best interests.

Actually, they're doing whats in their own best interests as far as their own interpretation of whats best for their Province is - not necessarily what actually is best for us or the Province.

Regardless, I still find it interesting how a political party can be so opposite of each other despite being the same party.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

2 people like this post.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5050 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Jan 31st, 2018, 10:02 pm

bob vernon wrote:Exxon Valdez. It spilled oil just south of Anchorage in the 1980s when it ran aground. It took 26, yes TWENTY-SIX, years to finally get Exxon through the courts and then they finally settled for less than half the original amount. They delayed until a more oil-friendly judge was on the bench, and generally fought every inch for the 26 years.

Fishermen who passed away in those 26 years somehow conveniently had their estates left out of the settlement. Some areas south of Anchorage still have a paved ocean floor with no fish in the area. Fishermen in BC wonder if BigOil would do the same thing in BC waters. Of course they would.

P.S. I like driving my car. Send me gas. Don't send crude. Anti-business bias? Sure. Ever since the Exxon Valdez.

Time to move on and get up to date. There has never been a tanker oil spill in BC waters or US Juan De Fuca waters either. Thousands of tankers from Alaska through there, and precisely zero significant tanker spills.

Comparing the Valdez and the marine safety regimes at the time to modern ships and practice is like comparing rotary phones to an iPhone X.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis

3 people like this post.
hobbyguy
Guru

Liked in: 6603 posts

Postby bob vernon » Jan 31st, 2018, 10:25 pm

All it's gonna take is one. And they had zero near Anchorage before the Exxon Valdez. If we increase the number of tankers, especially during the winter season with hurricane force winds on the BC coast, it'll eventually happen. No amount of rhetoric like "time to move forward" and "put the past behind us" and using the rotary phone metaphor won't prevent the inevitable accident.

BigOil will eventually get their way. They can buy certain politicians who will speak for them and do their bidding. We just have to delay them and make the consequences severe enough. We can't have a 26 year delay when the next ship goes down. A couple of years ago a car carrier ran aground near Prince Rupert. Coulda been a shipload of dillbit.
bob vernon
Übergod

Liked in: 1005 posts

Postby stuphoto » Feb 1st, 2018, 2:02 am

Dizzy1 wrote:I find it interesting that both being the same political party, they are at odds over many things.

Don't forget that we also have the Green Party in BC helping with the decisions.

On a side note, I like that the new government is consulting with All Parties on topics such as Uber, and hope they continue that trend with all major decisions.
In my opinion, it gives us all a chance to be heard.
stuphoto
Fledgling

Liked in: 189 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Feb 1st, 2018, 12:48 pm

bob vernon wrote:Exxon Valdez. It spilled oil just south of Anchorage in the 1980s when it ran aground. .

LOL. So in other words, you have nothing.
This current unelected NDP government is a disgrace.

Not all leftists are stupid, but most stupid people are leftists - Dr. Don Boys

3 people like this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 13214 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Feb 1st, 2018, 12:48 pm

bob vernon wrote:All it's gonna take is one. t.

Fear-mongering cowardly BS.
This current unelected NDP government is a disgrace.

Not all leftists are stupid, but most stupid people are leftists - Dr. Don Boys

3 people like this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 13214 posts

Next

Return to Canada