Notley Slams BC Oil Move

Snman
Übergod

Notley Slams BC Oil Move

Post by Snman »

She absolutely right, imho. What do others think?

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#217687
alanjh595
Banned

Re: Notley Slams BC Oil Move

Post by alanjh595 »

I agree.

"Having run out of tools in the toolbox, the Govt of BC is now grasping at straws. The BC Government has every right to consult on whatever it pleases with its citizens. It does not have the right to re-write our constitution & assume powers for itself that it does not have," Notley tweeted.
Bring back the LIKE button.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

I mean sure this has already been approved and all but all the governments that were in control for that have been widely condemned for taking bribes and basically giving the companies a blank check to do whatever they want. Should we be stuck with those choices?

I think that there a lot of good reason there to go back and review the guidelines set out for transporting bitumen through our provincial territory. I'm honestly under the impression that there is barely a plan in place for the eventual oil spills that would come after this. So yeah going over the whole thing seems like a great idea.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

CapitalB, do you have links to back the claim of blank cheques? Also, what do you mean by eventual oil spills? I think that, statistically, oil spills are few and far between. Not to say they are not possible but are they in fact likely? Just asking.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

This ones pretty good

This ones also pretty good.

I've only done a cursory glance of looking up years old news from when the cons where in power giving companies an all access pass.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Exxon Valdez. It spilled oil just south of Anchorage in the 1980s when it ran aground. It took 26, yes TWENTY-SIX, years to finally get Exxon through the courts and then they finally settled for less than half the original amount. They delayed until a more oil-friendly judge was on the bench, and generally fought every inch for the 26 years.

Fishermen who passed away in those 26 years somehow conveniently had their estates left out of the settlement. Some areas south of Anchorage still have a paved ocean floor with no fish in the area. Fishermen in BC wonder if BigOil would do the same thing in BC waters. Of course they would.

P.S. I like driving my car. Send me gas. Don't send crude. Anti-business bias? Sure. Ever since the Exxon Valdez.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Thanx CapB.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I find it interesting that both being the same political party, they are at odds over many things.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Their responsibilities are first and foremost to their provinces. We are both doing what is in our own best interests.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Omnitheo wrote:Their responsibilities are first and foremost to their provinces. We are both doing what is in our own best interests.

Actually, they're doing whats in their own best interests as far as their own interpretation of whats best for their Province is - not necessarily what actually is best for us or the Province.

Regardless, I still find it interesting how a political party can be so opposite of each other despite being the same party.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

bob vernon wrote:Exxon Valdez. It spilled oil just south of Anchorage in the 1980s when it ran aground. It took 26, yes TWENTY-SIX, years to finally get Exxon through the courts and then they finally settled for less than half the original amount. They delayed until a more oil-friendly judge was on the bench, and generally fought every inch for the 26 years.

Fishermen who passed away in those 26 years somehow conveniently had their estates left out of the settlement. Some areas south of Anchorage still have a paved ocean floor with no fish in the area. Fishermen in BC wonder if BigOil would do the same thing in BC waters. Of course they would.

P.S. I like driving my car. Send me gas. Don't send crude. Anti-business bias? Sure. Ever since the Exxon Valdez.

Time to move on and get up to date. There has never been a tanker oil spill in BC waters or US Juan De Fuca waters either. Thousands of tankers from Alaska through there, and precisely zero significant tanker spills.

Comparing the Valdez and the marine safety regimes at the time to modern ships and practice is like comparing rotary phones to an iPhone X.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

All it's gonna take is one. And they had zero near Anchorage before the Exxon Valdez. If we increase the number of tankers, especially during the winter season with hurricane force winds on the BC coast, it'll eventually happen. No amount of rhetoric like "time to move forward" and "put the past behind us" and using the rotary phone metaphor won't prevent the inevitable accident.

BigOil will eventually get their way. They can buy certain politicians who will speak for them and do their bidding. We just have to delay them and make the consequences severe enough. We can't have a 26 year delay when the next ship goes down. A couple of years ago a car carrier ran aground near Prince Rupert. Coulda been a shipload of dillbit.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Dizzy1 wrote:I find it interesting that both being the same political party, they are at odds over many things.

Don't forget that we also have the Green Party in BC helping with the decisions.

On a side note, I like that the new government is consulting with All Parties on topics such as Uber, and hope they continue that trend with all major decisions.
In my opinion, it gives us all a chance to be heard.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

bob vernon wrote:Exxon Valdez. It spilled oil just south of Anchorage in the 1980s when it ran aground. .

LOL. So in other words, you have nothing.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

bob vernon wrote:All it's gonna take is one. t.

Fear-mongering cowardly BS.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “Canada”