RE: How do you compete ?

alanjh595
Banned

Re: RE: How do you compete ?

Post by alanjh595 »

Why would someone grow veggies inside? The cost of the electricity alone would be far greater than going to the grocery store.

1000W HID light costs about $35. /mth to run. The cost of growing tomatoes with a maturation time of 70-90 days would cost $105. You can buy a lot of tomatoes for $105.
Bring back the LIKE button.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

When I lived in a remote area of the north, fresh produce wasn't readily available. I didn't use a fancy grow light, so it wasn't expensive to provide my family with cherry tomatoes and such in the early spring, when we had enough sunshine but it was still too cold to grow outdoors. And it was pretty inexpensive to bring in a couple of ice cream pails in the fall to extend the growing season after the frosts returned.

Plenty of people all over Canada start their plants indoors in a sunny window area, ready to move to the garden after the frost danger's past. Some folk grow exotic plants like orchids year round. And as far as I know, insurance companies don't have a problem with any of it.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

alanjh595 wrote:Why would someone grow veggies inside? The cost of the electricity alone would be far greater than going to the grocery store.

1000W HID light costs about $35. /mth to run. The cost of growing tomatoes with a maturation time of 70-90 days would cost $105. You can buy a lot of tomatoes for $105.

Many people do this. Does it make sense? Not to me Lol
Check out Youtube , many normal law abiding folks growing their own food indoors.

As far as the weed thing goes, 4 plants in a LEGAL setting is likely in an open space in the home with plenty of ventilation. No confined space, concentrated heat or moisture to worry about fire or mold.
My biggest concern would be Odour .

If landlords want to protect their investments they should routine inspect their rental properties to ensure its used as you intend it to be with NO illegal activity or anything prohibited in the lease agreement.
Only takes a 24hr notice on the door, and you can do it every couple of months or so - Just basically use your nose and eyeball each room, look for power cords leading into closets or whatever. Good tenants will see that you care and it gives them an opportunity to speak with you with any concerns they have with leaky toilet, outdoor dripping tap, mice, etc.
I did this and it works great, you get a heads up on maintenance issues before things get out of hand.
My insurance company encouraged it, and the residential tenancy office said it was good.

The problem is that many landlords don't want to hear about the possible issues , they just want the cheques to clear. Then one day the tenants move out and landlord cry "why me!!' when they find things out after the fact.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

jimmy4321 wrote: Many people do this. Does it make sense? Not to me Lol
Check out Youtube , many normal law abiding folks growing their own food indoors.

As far as the weed thing goes, 4 plants in a LEGAL setting is likely in an open space in the home with plenty of ventilation. No confined space, concentrated heat or moisture to worry about fire or mold.
My biggest concern would be Odour .

If landlords want to protect their investments they should routine inspect their rental properties to ensure its used as you intend it to be with NO illegal activity or anything prohibited in the lease agreement.
Only takes a 24hr notice on the door, and you can do it every couple of months or so - Just basically use your nose and eyeball each room, look for power cords leading into closets or whatever. Good tenants will see that you care and it gives them an opportunity to speak with you with any concerns they have with leaky toilet, outdoor dripping tap, mice, etc.
I did this and it works great, you get a heads up on maintenance issues before things get out of hand.
My insurance company encouraged it, and the residential tenancy office said it was good.

The number of terrible stories of heard from home owners who never come check out the place after people move in is crazy.
Some fairly normal seeming people will absolutely destroy a house if left alone. As a frequent tenant I would have no problem with regular home inspections.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.

Return to “Canada”