RE: How do you compete ?

Nedroj
Übergod

RE: How do you compete ?

Post by Nedroj »

This guy Jorgen Hansen must be smoking a little too much herb. He keeps referring to “back yard producers” putting legal ops out of business. I don’t think I’ve heard such horrible trash before but I wanted to humour him a little.

First of all legal grows and the companies whom own and operate them make HUGE profits. If you were smart you would have invested all your spare money into a legal weed stock over a year ago. The prices have done nothing but go up and as soon as it’s legal it will jump up again.

Secondly Large scale illegal grows also have to employ people to work, (20-25$ hr cash) buy clones or seeds to start, buy all the equipment, hire a electrician to wire it up and in some cases (the smart ones) pay for power usage. Not much different than the legal ones operating expenses. However if you are referring to outdoor growers well it just takes one toke to feel the difference between outdoor weed and indoor weed.

Thirdly Everyone will be allowed to grow up to 4 plants without any height restrictions. So all one would need to start growing their own is a 1000watt light, couple seeds, some good dirt, water and BOOM in 3 months you’ll have a Pound of pot. All for about 500$. So one would think “why buy from the government stores when I can grow my own” well let me ask you this, why doesn’t everyone brew their own beer or make their own wine? Anyone can go to a U-Brew and buy kits at a fraction of the price to buying it at a store or even more cost effective than going out to a pub. So why are liquor stores still profitable? Why are pubs such a popular place to meet with friends to consume alcohol?
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: RE: How do you compete ?

Post by Queen K »

I take exception to the "everyone" will be able to grow their four.

If a landlord wishes for there not to be four pot plants it should be written into the lease agreement.
If I was a landlord today, I'd be talking to my tenants about the advisability of adding pot plants, as in an eviction notice may accompany the next rent increase as maxed out as possible.

Growing in a house of your own? Who cares.
But one you only rent out? Irresponsible.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

Queen K wrote:I take exception to the "everyone" will be able to grow their four.

If a landlord wishes for there not to be four pot plants it should be written into the lease agreement.
If I was a landlord today, I'd be talking to my tenants about the advisability of adding pot plants, as in an eviction notice may accompany the next rent increase as maxed out as possible.

Growing in a house of your own? Who cares.
But one you only rent out? Irresponsible.

Why is growing weed in one residence “OK” but in another it’s “irresponsible” both doing the same thing? And who said it has to be indoors? Maybe some like the outdoor style. I don’t but if I rented I would simply just ask the landlord because that’s what Adult does. The thing even with growing indoors is with only 4 plants allowed it makes it a super simple hobby with none of the perceived dangerous associated with “grow ops”. You have to remember from the black market point of view a profitable grow ops was anywhere from 500 to 1500 plants with 150 1000 watt HID lights. Mixed with bad electrical work and you got a house fire. But 4 plants and 1 1000watt bulb will be no more dangerous than brewing your own beer or wine at home.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Nedroj wrote: Why is growing weed in one residence “OK” but in another it’s “irresponsible” both doing the same thing?

It's an ownership thing. You are free to do pretty much whatever you want in your own home.
You are not free to do whatever you want in a home you do not own but rent from another..
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

From a landlord's perspective, once they're legal what is the difference between four of these plants and four other houseplants?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

rustled wrote:From a landlord's perspective, once they're legal what is the difference between four of these plants and four other houseplants?

That's a good question. If I was a landlord my concern would be the amount and type of activity involved with people growing their own plants. It's not like folks that smoke will put them in a pot and then leave them alone by the window (although I am sure there would be folk who would do just that). If people are growing to consume they will likely be trimming, maybe growing clones, possibly rerouting water and electricity, and probably a bunch of other stuff I haven't mentioned (not a grower myself). As a landlord my concern would be damage to the unit not normally suffered from house plants.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Ka-El wrote:
rustled wrote:From a landlord's perspective, once they're legal what is the difference between four of these plants and four other houseplants?

That's a good question. If I was a landlord my concern would be the amount and type of activity involved with people growing their own plants. It's not like folks that smoke will put them in a pot and then leave them alone by the window (although I am sure there would be folk who would do just that). If people are growing to consume they will likely be trimming, maybe growing clones, possibly rerouting water and electricity, and probably a bunch of other stuff I haven't mentioned (not a grower myself). As a landlord my concern would be damage to the unit not normally suffered from house plants.

People trim houseplants and start clones. I did that with my African violets all the time. Surely you wouldn't need to reroute water or electricity for four plants. We grew cherry tomatoes indoors in an ice cream pail. Can't see this being a lot different, although I've never grown pot. Back in high school, a friend of mine grew a plant in his bedroom. His mom just thought it was an interesting houseplant and kept it watered for him, and was surprised when "it died".

Seems to me people fussing about four plants may be borrowing trouble.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

If a landlord can have a no smoking clause could they not have a no growing of pot clause? Just the odor alone would be cause enough, wouldn't it? The pungency of cannabis plants is very strong and long lasting. How would a landlord get that smell out without massive expense? For rentals I would say no way, what you do in your own residence is another story.
I for one will not have that smell in my house and if someone came over smelling of pot they would be told to leave. My house my rules. No smoking either.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Nedroj wrote:
So one would think “why buy from the government stores when I can grow my own” well let me ask you this, why doesn’t everyone brew their own beer or make their own wine? Anyone can go to a U-Brew and buy kits at a fraction of the price to buying it at a store or even more cost effective than going out to a pub. So why are liquor stores still profitable? Why are pubs such a popular place to meet with friends to consume alcohol?

Brewing at home is less expensive but a lot of work, mainly the cleaning part. Every bottle needs to be cleaned with sanitizer, same with all the equipment. If not you risk "stinky" beer. It is a time consuming process that I found is not worth it. Gardening is far far easier. I just plant, water and fertilize every once in a while. Eesy peasy.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

JagXKR wrote:If a landlord can have a no smoking clause could they not have a no growing of pot clause? Just the odor alone would be cause enough, wouldn't it? The pungency of cannabis plants is very strong and long lasting. How would a landlord get that smell out without massive expense? For rentals I would say no way, what you do in your own residence is another story.
I for one will not have that smell in my house and if someone came over smelling of pot they would be told to leave. My house my rules. No smoking either.

I didn't realize the smell from four plants would be that bad. I know big grow ops are a problem for that, but didn't think four plants could cause permanent damage. Got me thinking about other smells. For example, there are a couple of kinds of fish I'd absolutely never cook indoors again. Not sure how often you'd have to cook that kind of fish for it to do permanent damage, as you're suggesting four pot plants would do, but I wonder if it would ever be legal for landlords to tell their tenants they couldn't cook particular foods.

Landlords should have the right to protect their investment from permanent damage. Interesting discussion.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

The "smell" is just a fraction of the problem.

The damage to the structure is a landlord's worst nightmare. Take high heat + high humidity + all kinds of contaminates such as human, animal, cooking, laundry, insects, arachnids,.......and then add all of the chemicals and soils, with unknown sources, containing unknown larvie, and the next thing you have is a grade 11 science experiment gone wrong and will affect every current occupant of the structure and the next 3 generations.
Just imagine, some unknowing renter moving in 3 years later with a sick child and they are exposed to these contaminates? That child could die from any of those unknown/undeclared bacterium within the walls.
Bring back the LIKE button.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

alanjh595 wrote:The "smell" is just a fraction of the problem.

The damage to the structure is a landlord's worst nightmare. Take high heat + high humidity + all kinds of contaminates such as human, animal, cooking, laundry, insects, arachnids,.......and then add all of the chemicals and soils, with unknown sources, containing unknown larvie, and the next thing you have is a grade 11 science experiment gone wrong and will affect every current occupant of the structure and the next 3 generations.
Just imagine, some unknowing renter moving in 3 years later with a sick child and they are exposed to these contaminates? That child could die from any of those unknown/undeclared bacterium within the walls.

For four plants? Are pot plants really that much different from all other grown-indoor plants? :135:
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Depends a great deal on the specific strain of plant. They can be huge variations in odor of the plant and even the odor once dried and fired up. 4 plants in a house would be easy to smell regardless of variety, but so might a litter box for a cat. The odor of the pot plants though would permeate into many fabrics and other materials and would require washing, at the very least, to remove. I have witnessed a grow op house being ripped apart from, in part, odor permeation. Not the major reason but a contributing factor.
I also foresee a large increase in bylaw enforcement calls and police calls from neighbors who do not care for the smell permeating across property lines. Unlike noise bylaws that require "quiet times" the pungent odor of cannabis is non-stop.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Yes, grow ops are pretty destructive. But I still find it rather difficult to imagine four plants being the issue people are suggesting. A quick Google search so far only turns up stuff related to bigger grows. People may be worrying needlessly.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

four plants wouldn't be the issue for me, the real issue for me is insurance, legal or not its still considered growing pot so if the insurance companies aren't cool with that then the home owner is screwed if something happens. Also lets say you give someone permission to grow four plants in your rental home but their uncle Ned doesn't like buying from the approved places so they decide to grow 20 and fill the place with mold or have a fire insurance will be null and void tough luck to bad so sad

Return to “Canada”