RE: How do you compete ?

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: RE: How do you compete ?

Post by Queen K »

rustled wrote:Yes, grow ops are pretty destructive. But I still find it rather difficult to imagine four plants being the issue people are suggesting. A quick Google search so far only turns up stuff related to bigger grows. People may be worrying needlessly.

It's not even if the person growing is JUST growing four, it's going to be the household that grows four per person.

Mom and Dad? That's eight pot plants right there.

Five roommates? There's 20 per household. Because the law permits four per person.

My mistake then, I may have read something in the early stages that suggested per person.
Last edited by Queen K on Feb 3rd, 2018, 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Hm. Well:
They would also be permitted to grow up to four plants per residence for personal use, as well as make legal cannabis-containing products at home.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3377577/mari ... nt-canada/
Although I suppose the news story may have it wrong? If not, it seems people may be worrying needlessly, and perhaps encouraging others to worry needlessly as well.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

No, the smell takes thousands of dollars to get out of a residence alone. It's not needless worry.

The other thing is, long distance landlords and lax management companies not reinforcing the four plants only law.

So what if it's suddenly five or six? Who is going to do what exactly?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Once the seeds become babies they can be moved outdoors.
I don't think it will take much time for renters to challenge their legal right to grow their plants.
Grow ops cause damage, not a few plants
Everything that kills me makes me feel alive
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Queen K wrote:No, the smell takes thousands of dollars to get out of a residence alone. It's not needless worry.

The other thing is, long distance landlords and lax management companies not reinforcing the four plants only law.

So what if it's suddenly five or six? Who is going to do what exactly?

Again, though, I'm not finding much about the smell of four plants. Years ago I had renters do damage to laminate floors with perfectly legal houseplants just by over-watering them. :swear:

As to enforcement, this wouldn't be much different from landlords agreeing to a single dog or cat and the tenant bringing in more, or them taking in three more adults, or anything else. If lax management companies are the problem, owners should be dealing with the lax management companies to better protect their properties. In this case, renters would know they are actually breaking the law (would it be criminal code?) which perhaps would make it easier to evict them?

I agree with protecting landlords' rights, and have passed on a couple of recent opportunities to become a landlord again because IMO the RTA favors tenant rights too heavily. But if I did get back into it, before I worried about the effect of four pot plants in my rental, I'd want to be sure four plants in various stages of growth would actually be worth worrying about. I know nothing about growing pot. Would most people move them outdoors as normaM suggested?

:topic: The OP was about the effect of people competing with full-scale ops by growing their own, and I think he's right in suggesting it's likely to turn out much the same as beer and wine have for most of us.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

rustled wrote: … , before I worried about the effect of four pot plants in my rental, I'd want to be sure four plants in various stages of growth would actually be worth worrying about. I know nothing about growing pot. Would most people move them outdoors as normaM suggested?

I’m no expert, but I do have a friend who has a medical license to grow a lot more than four plants. He has a set-up in his shed with “growers” (look kinda like stand-up freezers) where he grows his clones into three-foot-high plants that produce buds in more quantity (and more potent) than any plant growing outside. I would suspect that most people growing their plants for consumption would want to grow them using indoor growing technology so as to be as potent as possible. Likely not go as far as to install “growers”, but rather setting up one room, or part of a room in the residence to act like one - just like folk who make their own beer or wine, except maybe smellier (but not as strong as when people smoke it).
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Part of his letter says “Justin Trudeau wants 80% of Canadians to smoke pot”

Lol what?
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

alanjh595 wrote:The "smell" is just a fraction of the problem.

The damage to the structure is a landlord's worst nightmare. Take high heat + high humidity + all kinds of contaminates such as human, animal, cooking, laundry, insects, arachnids,.......and then add all of the chemicals and soils, with unknown sources, containing unknown larvie, and the next thing you have is a grade 11 science experiment gone wrong and will affect every current occupant of the structure and the next 3 generations.
Just imagine, some unknowing renter moving in 3 years later with a sick child and they are exposed to these contaminates? That child could die from any of those unknown/undeclared bacterium within the walls.

I am assuming you don’t really know what you’re talking about. But allow me to correct you on a few extremely exaggerated misconceptions.

1) the smell coming off of 4 plants will be minimal. Obviously size and flowering stage will cause the odour intensity to vary slightly. But a good quality air purifier (like most homes already have) will do the trick. If you really want overkill a 100$ active carbon air filter (Can50) is available from any grow store. Your concerns would be valid for a 400+ plant grow op.

2) with four plants grown legally there is ZERO need to alter the building or air ducting. A simple oscillating fan would be fine Again you are assuming growing 4 plants is like 400+.

3) 1-1000 watt old school light does not put out a lot of heat and as for electricity consumption a electrical fireplace are around 1500+/-Watts. If anything goes wrong the breaker gets tripped. You could Use a “inline”light shade easily removing any heat coming directly off of the bulb. As for the ballast when wired up correctly it’s as simply as plugging into a socket. And keeping anything 1’ away from it. Or you can go with LED grow lights. Very little power use hardly any heat but expensive. Or you could use the new digital ballasts very low amp draw, low heat for similar output of a old school ballast.and again as simple as plugging into a socket.

4) Humidty is not really an issue with 4 plants and what little amount of humidity that 4 plants give off will actually be more of a benefit as this climate is rather dry in general. Plus you get the added benefit of added O2.

5) The preferred soil for growing pot is Pro-mix or sunshine mix. Very high end quality dirt with zero contamination and 100% steril. The left over dirt is EXCELLENT for using in your garden afterwards!

6) you have a much higher risk of developing mold in your bathroom than you would with 4 plants unless you’re growing them hydroponically and you flood the entire room.

In conclusion there is zero additional risk to growing 4 pot plants than you would growing 4 large tropical plants using a light. However I still fee if renting that the landlord MUST give permission. If anything Just out of respect.
Last edited by Nedroj on Feb 4th, 2018, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

4 plants 7 feet tall will put all kinds of moisture in a room especially a small room, lights do start fires period, no one ever has an intentional fire, insurance companies will more than likely not be willing to provide coverage if theres weed growing in a home youre renting out, and last and most importantly if i own the home and rent it out and tell someone no you cant grow weed in my home that's it enough said its not your choice its mine
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

In addition to the liquor store ban, Farnworth is set to announce that landlords will have the right to ban tenants from growing cannabis on their premises. Announcement tomorrow.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

LTD wrote:4 plants 7 feet tall will put all kinds of moisture in a room especially a small room, lights do start fires period, no one ever has an intentional fire, insurance companies will more than likely not be willing to provide coverage if theres weed growing in a home youre renting out, and last and most importantly if i own the home and rent it out and tell someone no you cant grow weed in my home that's it enough said its not your choice its mine

I see where you’re coming from but I highly doubt anyone is going to grow them 7’ tall indoors. Maybe outdoors yeah I could see that. And for moisture again currently in my house right now it’s 32% humidity. I’d prefer it being around 50 for the sake of my other house plants I have and for myself.

I do completely agree with you though. If the landlord specifically says no. Then the tenant should honour that agreement like they are expected to honour all aspects of the lease/rental contract. Again it comes down to respect for other people’s hard earned property. I’d ask my landlord permission to build a vegetable garden in the back yard.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

what i don't think a lot of people dont realize is how the insurance companies are going to react to this I'm pretty sure none of them are going to want anything to do with you if youre growing weed whether its one or one hundred plants its just easier to say no all together, those who are planning on having their four plants may want to check into that
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Jorgen has let this issue completely get to him. He needs to relax. Like on the deck next July with a big one.

Also, I'm getting the feeling that all these businesses starting up with massive greenhouses are going to find that most of their customers will have a plant or four in their house. I think a lot of investors in these weed corporations are going to be disappointed when sales fail to live up to their expectations. We have a few houseplants right now and a couple of marijuana ones will fit right in.

Chill, Jorgen, chill.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Doubtful ppl going to grow 7 foot plants. You can leave them out in the Summer sunshine. Over 20 years ago our neighbours had their own plants, no smell in their house at all. Think it will be hard for Landlords to enforce the no pot plant rule.
Meanwhile I think this is a tempest in a teacup JT pulling to keep our attention off other things.

Will all the people who were charged with possession get pardons> anyone know
Everything that kills me makes me feel alive
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Why would insurance companies see this any differently from people growing vegetables or orchids or anything else indoors with lights, provided it's only four plants?

Return to “Canada”