TrudeauLiberals cancel National Wetlands Conservation Fund

Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Re: TrudeauLiberals cancel National Wetlands Conservation Fu

Post by Ka-El »

Dizzy1 wrote: in fact - anyone who has any sort of political leaning is just as much a hypocrite as any other :up:

Yes, and I hope you noted I qualified my statement by categorizing the extreme right-wingers. I would also agree that the extreme left-wingers are no less hypocritical – and, I would also agree that partisanship often blinds them to their own hypocrisy (such as feigning outrage over issues they were making excuses for when their party was in power). Kinda pitiful.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Gone_Fishin's thread has done one thing for sure.

I have been reinspired to go back to Lightroom and look over all the thousands of photographs I took at the Rotary Marsh over the last two years. I am astonished not that I took so many photos, but of the diversity of what was captured over time.

Kingfisher, Blue Heron, Grebes, Golden Eye, song birds of all types, deer (doe, fawns, bucks), coyotes, racoons, otter, beaver, muskrats, Osprey, Eagles, coots and yes, I have coot chicks, fish. The marsh area provides multiple food sources for American gold finch, house sparrows, doves, in fact, it's overwhelming how diverse the species and ecology the march supports.

I am furiously editing and discarding and refining what I thought was edited well the first time, only to apply new skills and be glad I never published some of them. The process has freed up a lot of space on my disks. I plan to upload and publish them in time. I also have an agenda for them, in case anyone gets the idea photography has no place in protests. :biggrin:

When I say diversity, I will add that the great North American bird number loss is real. We are seeing fewer of certain species for a hundred different reasons. Which makes it more difficult to swallow the more I see headlines about roads being approved through wetlands, as happened in Vernon last year.

It's all mouth and no protection. To wit, if you look carefully at plans of a second bridge, one of those plans plows right through the clearly expendable Rotary Marsh.

Which brings us back to this thread. Make no mistake, I am as horrified by the cut as GF is. Funds can go around the World, but Canadian wetland projects are redirected to a new ministry? Any new ministry is an unknown quantity, as in "how generous will they be with funding projects? How seriously will they take Canadian habitat and wildlife? I believe that is the frightening part. How seriously will a new ministry take saving wetlands? Is that as worrisome to you Gone_Fishin as it is to me? And others I'm sure.

Even Rwede posted that he agreed with MJ about the stupidity of putting a road through a park protecting a bog. Politics didn't make the cut there.

Habitat is the one area where there is no interpersonal or political conflict. All boat jokes aside. :up: (admit it GF, harsh called for hilarity in that other thread, I poked gentle fun at you only :admin: )
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 5th, 2018, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 5th, 2018, 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

*removed*

That said, projects get cancelled and adapted all the time. It simply appears that in this case Canada is shifting its environmental funding to different areas. Rather than just cancelling funding altogether as was so often done under the previous administration. From what I can see it looks like it was a good and successful program, but if studies show that there are better uses of the money in other environmentally related functions at this time, then I’m for that. The release itself directly states this. As opposed to one project after another simply being scrapped by Harper.

I think it’s important to recognize that this government is continually reassessing and tweaking programs, instead of just silently stopping anything science or environment related that they could do without being noticed.

Keep in mind this is separate from the rotary marshes in town. This program was mainly related to repairing marshes. And I fully believe that if marshes are being damaged by private enterprises, than those should be the ones funding the restoration.
Last edited by ferri on Feb 5th, 2018, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

In a perfect World, yes, private for-profit companies would be fined by the Fisheries Dept or the Environmental agency in charge and force them to pay monies toward the restoration of what they damaged.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

In this Not So Perfect world, companies get the governmental stamp of approval to rip wetlands.

Then, after the damage is done, much handwringing and tears.

The swamp inhabitants don't have a vote. Therein lies the problem

After species are at the brink of extinction the fund raising begins to reintroduce the poor beggars to a forever changed landscape.

Never successful outcome.

:-X
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
justincase
Board Meister

Post by justincase »

Important notice
Environment and Climate Change Canada appreciates the interest of all organizations that have participated in the National Wetland Conservation Fund, and that take action to address the issue of wetland restoration and enhancement. While we will continue to fund the 55 ongoing previously-approved NWCF projects for 2018 to 2019 so that projects can be completed, we will not be funding any new projects under this program.

We remain committed to the conservation and protection of wetlands across the country through the North American Waterfowl Management Plan and the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands. Further, we will continue to provide the revenue from the sale of the Canadian Wildlife Habitat Conservation stamp to Wildlife Habitat Canada to implement on the ground wetland conservation projects.

From 2014/15 to 2017/18 the National Wetland Conservation Fund supported on-the-ground activities to restore and enhance wetlands in Canada. The objectives of the fund were to:

restore degraded or lost wetlands on working and settled landscapes to achieve a net gain in wetland habitat area
enhance the ecological functions of existing degraded wetlands
scientifically assess and monitor wetland functions and ecological goods and services in order to further the above objectives to restore and/or enhance wetlands
encourage the stewardship of Canada’s wetlands by industry and the stewardship and enjoyment of wetlands by the Canadian public https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-cl ... -fund.html
1) People forget conservatives used to be fiscally conservative. After harper, they have become fiscally liberal and socially racist. Fascism is the only thing they wish to conserve.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

stupid ducks! Should have worn burkas.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

“I am deeply disappointed that the Trudeau Government is slashing funding for wetlands,” said Fast. “At a time when Canada’s climate is changing, wetlands measurably improve our air and water quality. Not only are wetlands valuable in rural areas, they also play a vital role for sustainable urban development and disaster mitigation. They provide drinking water, reduce air pollution and protect cities against floods.”

“Canada should be focused on embracing wetlands as a means to sequester carbon, improve wildlife habitat and manage watersheds,” said Sopuck. “This sort of natural infrastructure is one of the best tools available to fight climate change, and for the Liberals to ignore this reality demonstrates just how much they prefer talk over action when it comes to achieving environmental outcomes.”

Between September, 2014 and March 31, 2017, close to $25.5 million in federal funding was expended on 198 NWCF projects. During this same timeframe, over 2,600 hectares of wetlands and associated uplands have been restored and over 340,000 hectares of wetland and associated upland habitat have been enhanced.

“Our previous Conservative government made these significant investments into wetlands conservation and degraded ecosystem restoration because we understood the value of our natural spaces,” said Fast. “Across Canada, this vital program ensured that wetlands were preserved for future generations. We will continue to push this Liberal government to recognize the importance of these investments and to reinstate this program.”

http://edfast.ca/press-release-conserva ... tion-fund/
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

It's changed to a different program. Let's give it a chance to prove itself.

No one said wetlands are going to be filled in. :135:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

justincase wrote:Important notice
Environment and Climate Change Canada appreciates the interest of all organizations that have participated in the National Wetland Conservation Fund, and that take action to address the issue of wetland restoration and enhancement. While we will continue to fund the 55 ongoing previously-approved NWCF projects for 2018 to 2019 so that projects can be completed, we will not be funding any new projects under this program.

We remain committed to the conservation and protection of wetlands across the country through the North American Waterfowl Management Plan and the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands. Further, we will continue to provide the revenue from the sale of the Canadian Wildlife Habitat Conservation stamp to Wildlife Habitat Canada to implement on the ground wetland conservation projects.

From 2014/15 to 2017/18 the National Wetland Conservation Fund supported on-the-ground activities to restore and enhance wetlands in Canada. The objectives of the fund were to:

restore degraded or lost wetlands on working and settled landscapes to achieve a net gain in wetland habitat area
enhance the ecological functions of existing degraded wetlands
scientifically assess and monitor wetland functions and ecological goods and services in order to further the above objectives to restore and/or enhance wetlands
encourage the stewardship of Canada’s wetlands by industry and the stewardship and enjoyment of wetlands by the Canadian public https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-cl ... -fund.html
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Queen K wrote:It's changed to a different program. Let's give it a chance to prove itself.

No one said wetlands are going to be filled in. :135:

Duck stamp program has provided funding for decades. That's all that is left after Trudeau cancelled the NWCF to fund his dance lessons and snazzy costumes. Oh ya, that duck stamp revenue is from duck HUNTERS.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Gone_Fishin, did you read the bolded parts above?

North American Waterfowl Management Plan and Ramsar Convention on Wetlands.

I haven't googled either one yet but plan to.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

NAWMP is funded through duck hunters and duck stamp revenues.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Return to “Canada”