Legislation of Our Beliefs & Speech

TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Legislation of Our Beliefs & Speech

Post by TreeGuy »

It was a toss up whether this belongs here or in the religion forum.

But I believe it belongs here as it is something that will affect all Canadians.

If a Christian camp organization wants to receive summer student funding then workers will have to sign an agreement that they support pro-choice and gender neutrality.

Now before everyone jumps on the Christians for this, think about it for a moment. This is another slippery slope. How long until your own beliefs are being legislated?

What if after you get hired for your dream job you are given an agreement to sign that goes against all of what you believe? What if it was a Conservative government legislating that you agree with Christian beliefs? Or maybe you have to agree with Buddhism? How about Islam?

https://globalnews.ca/news/3993867/canada-summer-job-attestation-endorsed-by-80-canadian-rights-groups/

This isn’t about any single religion but about our rights and freedoms.

Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Legislation of Our Beliefs & Speech

Post by Hurtlander »

I think it’s wonderful that ALL religions now must sign an agreement that they won’t promote any sort of belief or doctrine that violates the charter of rights and freedoms, before they can be eligible to apply for government grant money.
Who the hell would want to give public money to some archaic religious groups straight out of the dark ages, that still believe women are inferior to men.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Christian Summer camp is free to do things their way BUT if they want a handout from the government, they need to abide by the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

It’s that simple. No group is entitled to government handouts. I’m not sure why those on the right, who are so opposed to government handouts suddenly want non-tax paying entities to get government funds.

The slippery slope would be to allow exceptions, and suddenly start telling one cult that we’ll give them money to skirt the charter and spend it on their own cultist propaganda.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

If my beliefs violate peoples human rights, or our charter of rights and freedoms then they should absolutely be legislated against.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

TreeGuy wrote:It was a toss up whether this belongs here or in the religion forum.

But I believe it belongs here as it is something that will affect all Canadians. Personally, I think you chose wrong.

If a Christian camp organization wants to receive summer student funding then workers will have to sign an agreement that they support pro-choice and gender neutrality.

Now before everyone jumps on the Christians for this, think about it for a moment. This is another slippery slope. How long until your own beliefs are being legislated? Nobody's beliefs are being legislated. The people in these organisations are allowed to be personally anti-choice/anti-abortion, etc. but their organisation is not allowed to push these agendas if they wish to receive government provided funding.

What if after you get hired for your dream job you are given an agreement to sign that goes against all of what you believe? What if it was a Conservative government legislating that you agree with Christian beliefs? Or maybe you have to agree with Buddhism? How about Islam? That's not what they are doing. Personal beliefs are not being targeted. But if a Conservative government was to legislate that your organisation could not receive government funding if your organisation pushed an anti-religious freedom message, then that would be fine.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3993867/canada-summer-job-attestation-endorsed-by-80-canadian-rights-groups/

This isn’t about any single religion but about our rights and freedoms.

Personally, I think the Liberals did a very poor job here and should have been far less targeted, but this is not an attack on anyone's beliefs, but rather an attack on and organisation using government funding to push an anti-rights and freedoms message.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I should not even know this, the reason I do is I have off-spring and
have huge concerns for the direction things seem to be going.

I have gone through this way more than I'd care to admit.
Concerning to say the least.

My take; just check out the reactions to posed queries by;
Marilyn Gladu, and Cathy Wagentall.

Draw your own take.
https://openparliament.ca/bills/42-1/C-16/

ETA: If I didn't have kids, I would really not care..

I am who I am, and for the most part say as I please.

Bonus; I'm not financially rich, so not worth taking to court over
any of this tripe !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

TreeGuy wrote:

Can't they just sign this stupid JT feel-good document, take the money, and be on their way? When were these groups ever denying any human rights before this nonsense was brought in? In other words, is there going to be one woman in Canada this summer who is going to have an abortion that wouldn't have had access to an abortion before this legislation?

What I really am saying is - isn't this whole exercise one giant useless and vacuous virtue-signal to moronic PC pin-heads, like 99% of everything else that JT does?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Hurtlander wrote:Who the hell would want to give public money to some archaic religious groups straight out of the dark ages, that still believe women are inferior to men.

so much so that they force their women to wear full burkas in public! How archaic! You would think if this were going on, the Left would be outraged!
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
TreeGuy wrote:

Can't they just sign this stupid JT feel-good document, take the money, and be on their way? When were these groups ever denying any human rights before this nonsense was brought in? In other words, is there going to be one woman in Canada this summer who is going to have an abortion that wouldn't have had access to an abortion before this legislation?

What I really am saying is - isn't this whole exercise one giant useless and vacuous virtue-signal to moronic PC pin-heads, like 99% of everything else that JT does?

It is poorly implemented, but it will bar organisations who protest against abortion or LGBTQ+ lifestyles etc. from receiving this kind of funding.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

I'm on the fence regarding pro-life/pro-choice.

Legislating that we have to use gender neutral pronouns, I'm with Jordan Peterson on that.

Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Omnitheo wrote: I’m not sure why those on the right, who are so opposed to government handouts suddenly want non-tax paying entities to get government funds.

Hypocrisy. As much as they like throwing the term around they wear the label. :smt045
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Just an idle thought: will the day come when this type of legislation is passed that would inhibit groups that raise funds for terrorist organizations?
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

And the young entitled leftists that LOVE handouts sure LOVE using the FREE services and food from these non-profit organizations or as you call them "non-tax paying entities".
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Catsumi wrote:Just an idle thought: will the day come when this type of legislation is passed that would inhibit groups that raise funds for terrorist organizations?

Financing of Terrorism

The ATA amended the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) Act (PCMLA) to expand the mandate of FINTRAC (Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada), Canada's financial intelligence unit, to include the detection and deterrence of terrorist financing. The ATA provided FINTRAC with the legislative framework to permit it to assist in combating and detecting terrorist financing and to enable Canada to comply broadly with the FATF Special Recommendations on Terrorist Financing. In addition, amendments provided law enforcement authorities and the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) with information about suspected terrorist financing activities. To reflect these changes, the PCMLA was re-named as the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act.

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/cj-jp/ns-sn/act-loi.html
Listed Terrorist Entities

The listing of an entity is a public means of identifying a group or individual as being associated with terrorism. The definition of an entity includes a person, group, trust, partnership or fund, or an unincorporated association or organization. The Anti-Terrorism Act provides measures for the Government of Canada to create a list of entities.

It is not a crime to be listed. However, one of the consequences of being listed is that the entity's property can be the subject of seizure/restraint and/or forfeiture. In addition, institutions such as banks, brokerages, etc. are subject to reporting requirements with respect to an entity's property and must not allow those entities to access the property. These institutions may not deal or otherwise dispose of the property. It is an offence to knowingly participate in or contribute to, directly or indirectly, any activity of a terrorist group. This participation is only an offence if its purpose is to enhance the ability of any terrorist group to facilitate or carry out a terrorist activity.

https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/ntnl ... ex-en.aspx

see also sections 83.02 and section 83.03 of our Criminal Code
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

TreeGuy wrote:I'm on the fence regarding pro-life/pro-choice.

Legislating that we have to use gender neutral pronouns, I'm with Jordan Peterson on that.

Peterson was wrong about the law and he was taking an overly broad interpretation, which would never stand up in court.
http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/what-the-wilfried-laurier-professors-got-wrong-about-bill-c-16-and-gender-identity-discrimination

TreeGuy wrote:And the young entitled leftists that LOVE handouts sure LOVE using the FREE services and food from these non-profit organizations or as you call them "non-tax paying entities".

What services and handouts from "non-profit organizations" are "young entitled leftists" in particular, recipients of?

Return to “Canada”