Hedley the latest victim of unproven allegations

Nedroj
Übergod

Hedley the latest victim of unproven allegations

Post by Nedroj »

I'm not a fan of Hedley by any means but once again the media is determined to ruin this band without a shred of evidence other than some twitter posts. Its about time Canadians start calling this what it is, A social media witch hunt. These women need to report crimes to the police and let the justice system do their job and investigate first before the media attempts to deal out street justice.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/21 ... from-Junos

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/21 ... by-manager
Last edited by ferri on Feb 16th, 2018, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Links added
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: Hedley the latest victim of unproven allegations

Post by gman313 »

Nedroj wrote:I'm not a fan of Hedley by any means but once again the media is determined to ruin this band without a shred of evidence other than some twitter posts. Its about time Canadians start calling this what it is, A social media witch hunt. These women need to report crimes to the police and let the justice system do their job and investigate first before the media attempts to deal out street justice.

Social Media definitely can turn into a witch hunt but look at Hedley's statement, they didn't admit guilt but they certainly implied it. The media simply reported what they observed. They report on charges before the courts in many cases.

This will likely be the demise of Hedley. and many other rock bands as these things surface
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

if the accusations are found to be untrue the accusers should be criminally charged and forced to pay for any expenses and lost revenue as a result of their actions, its just far to easy to ruin people with false accusation these days
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

Nedroj wrote:I'm not a fan of Hedley by any means but once again the media is determined to ruin this band without a shred of evidence other than some twitter posts. Its about time Canadians start calling this what it is, A social media witch hunt. These women need to report crimes to the police and let the justice system do their job and investigate first before the media attempts to deal out street justice.

There’s no requirement to do that, according to Marcy Segal, a former Toronto criminal defence lawyer who is now a litigator and advocate for victims’ rights.

“I wouldn’t say it’s appropriate to bait these people, because if you’re a victim you don’t have to go to the police in order to prove you have been sexually assaulted,” she said. “There’s no requirement to do that.”
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

gman313 wrote:

Social Media definitely can turn into a witch hunt but look at Hedley's statement, they didn't admit guilt but they certainly implied it. The media simply reported what they observed. They report on charges before the courts in many cases.

This will likely be the demise of Hedley. and many other rock bands as these things surface

They admitted in the past they engaged in typical "Rock Star" behavior. What mainstream band or artist can honestly say they havent? But back to the main point, to me that doesnt imply rape and child molestation in any sort of way as the allegations lean towards. It implies engaging in promiscuous encounters by groupees or fans. How many women have you seen throw themselves at famous people during interactions.

Im not saying that a crime hasnt occurred, what i am saying is these two allegations will cause permanent and irreparable damage to all these people without even having any evidence or a proper trial. This could be another Hijab Hoax or it could be another Bill Cosby. Only way to determine that is for the alleged victims cooperate with the police and provide all evidence to them and let the Canadian justice system do its job.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

looks like they are pretty well done, will be interesting to see how long they try and keep the tour going
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

I'm sure lots of rock stars are praying that no then 14 year olds that came back to their hotel after a show come forward to tell their stories.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

For anyone who is familiar with the movie Straight Outta Compton, you will have watched the artists engage in "rockstar activity". While the real life experiences may have played out way different than portrayed on camera, I think we all get the idea of what did sometimes happen after shows.

Now the women who engaged in acts in these hotel rooms can all come forward and claim abuse. It's possible they were on drugs or drinking too much, the artists may have also been very intoxicated and no one will accurately remember what took place. Jump on me for blaming the victims, but note that I'm not suggesting or condoning that women don't have the right to refuse sex and if they say no, it means no; any further advances are illegal, immoral and should be prosecuted!

Now, in these "rockstar" scenarios, these women would have known prior to showing up or assessed the situation upon entering an after party hotel room and had the chance to simply leave. Once they started to engage in this activity they must have known where the night was headed. It's about the same as an everyday person taking home a stranger from the bar, both intoxicated, sleeping together and then regretting it the next day. The only difference here is instead of never hearing from that person again, these artists are slammed on social media for being pigs.
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

Couldn't have been any worse than the mud shark incident at the Edgewater and no ones complaining about that.
Someone has to say it.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

well I think some feel there where's there is smoke there is fire
Management dropped them, opening acts backed out
http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/he ... -1.4538782
and now it begins
https://exclaim.ca/music/article/hedley ... oncertgoer
Everything that kills me makes me feel alive
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

So it's ok to sexually abuse children so long as you are a musician? 14 year olds cannot legally give consent so it doesn't matter if they "know what to expect".
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

JLives wrote:So it's ok to sexually abuse children so long as you are a musician? 14 year olds cannot legally give consent so it doesn't matter if they "know what to expect".

exactly!
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Full statement from headly.

All of us in Hedley respect and applaud the #MeToo movement and the open and honest discussion it has inspired. We believe these conversations are particularly important within the music industry, which does not exactly have an enviable history of treating women with the respect they deserve. We appreciate the bravery of those who have come forward with their own stories, and we realize that all of us, as individuals and as a society, can and must do better when it comes to this issue.

However, if we are to have a meaningful, open and honest discussion, we all have to accept and respect that there are at least two sides to every story. The recent allegations against us posted on social media are simply unsubstantiated and have not been validated. We would hope that people will bear-in-mind the context in which these unsupported accusations have been made before passing judgment on us as individuals or as a band.

We realize the life of a touring band is an unconventional one. While we are all now either married or have entered into committed, long-term relationships, there was a time, in the past, when we engaged in a lifestyle that incorporated certain rock and roll cliches. However, there was always a line that we would never cross.

We realize this conversation is as important to our fans as it is to us, and we never want to distract from these important discussions. To that end, as we move forward, we will be evaluating some of our next steps. Hedley’s music should only ever be a positive force, and our performances and personal appearances should continue to be inclusive and safe experiences that bring nothing but joy and happiness to our fans.

Please note that not once in this statement do they deny the events took place.

The recent allegations against us posted on social media are simply unsubstantiated and have not been validated.

Unsubstantiated, meaning they have not been proven, so so different than actually saying "this did not happen"

Is it possible they have the worst PR time in history? or did they do it?
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/bri ... pay-061513

I am truly worried there could be a lot more stories like this one after some of these claims are proven to be false.
(Not saying these ones are, but it has basically become automatic guilty sentences already)

IF these allegations are proven to be false will there be lawsuits and slander suits filling the courts ?
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

JLives wrote:So it's ok to sexually abuse children so long as you are a musician? 14 year olds cannot legally give consent so it doesn't matter if they "know what to expect".

Are they 14?! If so then no my statement is for people over the legal age.

Return to “Canada”