Saskatchewan Farmer shot at in home by Robber.

Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Re: Saskatchewan Farmer shot at in home by Robber.

Post by Brass Monkey »

Fancy wrote:
Brass Monkey wrote:FN people today are in no way way responsible for the current predicament they are in now.

A lot of FN people take responsibility for themselves and go on to make something of themselves. Those doing drugs and stealing are taking up a lot of jail space.

Myself included, I’m a college student with a business. I also didn’t grow up 100km outside of city limits in an unheated home with dirty water surrounded by impoverished FN people, I firsthand witnessed the change from dirt roads to paved roads and sidewalks on my rez. The vast majority of other FN are not as fortunate.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

So it sounds like there's an assumption as to who shot at the farmer. Can't blame poorer circumstances when a great many others rise above their situation.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Brass Monkey wrote:Myself included, I’m a college student with a business. I also didn’t grow up 100km outside of city limits in an unheated home with dirty water surrounded by impoverished FN people, I firsthand witnessed the change from dirt roads to paved roads and sidewalks on my rez. The vast majority of other FN are not as fortunate.

good for you.

however this part.....
Brass Monkey wrote: I also didn’t grow up 100km outside of city limits in an unheated home with dirty water surrounded by impoverished FN people.

I did. I don't now. There's very specific reasons why and none have anything to do with my skin. The changes that have happened in the NB area haven't been done to a community but by a community.
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

I did. I don't now. There's very specific reasons why and none have anything to do with my skin. The changes that have happened in the NB area haven't been done to a community but by a community.[/quote]

If we all get up on leave our reservations then we forfeit the land claims of those reservations, which is exactly what the British empire/Canadian government spent centuries trying to do. The Sinixt people of the kootenays were declared extinct in 1956 after they mass migrated to the Okanagan after mining camps killed off the local deer, moose and caribou populations, and their land was absorbed by the government. I plan to move back to the reservation when I graduate.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Brass Monkey wrote:If we all get up on leave our reservations then we forfeit the land claims of those reservations, which is exactly what the British empire/Canadian government spent centuries trying to do. The Sinixt people of the kootenays were declared extinct in 1956 after they mass migrated to the Okanagan after mining camps killed off the local deer, moose and caribou populations, and their land was absorbed by the government. I plan to move back to the reservation when I graduate.

That is a problem I can agree with. I think we need to not just settle claims here and there but get rid of the reservation system divide up the land fairly and let each person have their own to do as they see fit. However maintaining a land claim should mean behaviour can be garbage. A lot of North Battleford area reserves moved into North Battleford proper and aren't even on the reserve, strangely behaviour is still bad.

People don't get better unless they improve themselves, as Louie noted, take responsibility for their own actions.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Brass Monkey wrote:
rustled wrote:Other FN have taken a different approach: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.2355794

It seems to me many of our FN's local governments are the architects of their own peoples' misfortune, and while they expect others to "fix" the problem, the only "outside" contribution they're comfortable accepting is cash. The hopelessness and victim mentality runs deep, and it takes strong leadership (and a willingness from the people to back that leadership) for anything to change.

:topic: It's interesting to see the "poor victim" mentality now permeates Western society.

I feel badly for the rural farmers, who by and large are still living the ethic of making something for themselves (even when it's hard work with little to no return), and are expected to stand by while "poor victims" come onto their property and help themselves to whatever they wish. When push literally comes to shove, it's unsurprising people who ought not to be there in the first place are suffering the consequences.

What's been surprising to me is how quickly people (including the media) have used the "poor victim" philosophy to gloss over thieves' part in their own misfortune. If society at large is bent on turning the perpetrators into the "poor victims", we shouldn't be surprised to see more violence as the "poor victims" become bolder and the homeowners become hyper-vigilant and less willing to stand down.

FN people today are in no way way responsible for the current predicament they are in now. FN people didn’t isolate themselves and move themselves onto reservations that harboured little resources. Imagine if FN people were allowed the right to a civil defence lawyer in the 1900s, imagine if we supplied a decent education to FN people, may have solved all of this decades ago. In March of 2016 29 FN attempted suicide on the attawapiskat Indian reserve in Ontario because living conditions are so bad, no heated homes, no clean water, we can’t expect people to progress alongside regular society when poor people in Ethiopia wouldn’t even trade their lives for one of a northern FN.

Who is ultimately responsible for living conditions in Attawapiskat? Personally, I won't dis-empower them by agreeing with what you are suggesting: that they are all helpless victims unable to do anything to change their lot in life.
:topic:
Has the "poor victim" who felt it necessary to shoot at this farmer been identified?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

Who is ultimately responsible for living conditions in Attawapiskat? Personally, I won't dis-empower them by agreeing with what you are suggesting: that they are all helpless victims unable to do anything to change their lot in life.
:topic:
Has the "poor victim" who felt it necessary to shoot at this farmer been identified?[/quote]

The Canadian government is responsible, through harsh forcible assimilation these people forgot how to survive in the winters as they had been doing for 13,000 years prior and were forced to rely on a government to provide basic needs. Family counseling isn’t subsidized on these reservations because First Nations don’t receive the same level of healthcare as regular Canadians. They are not helpless victims, but they’re facing the worst standard of living of any demographic in the Western Hemisphere.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Brass Monkey wrote:I did. I don't now. There's very specific reasons why and none have anything to do with my skin. The changes that have happened in the NB area haven't been done to a community but by a community.

If we all get up on leave our reservations then we forfeit the land claims of those reservations, which is exactly what the British empire/Canadian government spent centuries trying to do. The Sinixt people of the kootenays were declared extinct in 1956 after they mass migrated to the Okanagan after mining camps killed off the local deer, moose and caribou populations, and their land was absorbed by the government. I plan to move back to the reservation when I graduate.[/quote]

fyi govts around the world have been taking peoples land from them since forever-educate yourself try reading up on what england did to scotland and its people ,1300 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_Arbroath natives do note have dibs on getting f over ,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

the truth wrote:
Brass Monkey wrote:I did. I don't now. There's very specific reasons why and none have anything to do with my skin. The changes that have happened in the NB area haven't been done to a community but by a community.

If we all get up on leave our reservations then we forfeit the land claims of those reservations, which is exactly what the British empire/Canadian government spent centuries trying to do. The Sinixt people of the kootenays were declared extinct in 1956 after they mass migrated to the Okanagan after mining camps killed off the local deer, moose and caribou populations, and their land was absorbed by the government. I plan to move back to the reservation when I graduate.

fyi govts around the world have been taking peoples land from them since forever-educate yourself try reading up on what england did to scotland and its people ,1300 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_Arbroath natives do note have dibs on getting f over ,[/quote]

There was more than plenty of land to go around for all natives and all settlers, it’s the widespread rape, genocide, mass species extinction and blatant desecration of the land that came with settlers that sparks the light in FN people.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

fyi, natives are not the only ones to have this happen to --sad but true-. you do not own planet earth ,everyone does , you might want to read up on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_Arbroath before you pull the it only happened to us card
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

BACK ON TOPIC. NOW!
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Brass Monkey wrote:The Canadian government is responsible, through harsh forcible assimilation these people forgot how to survive in the winters....
Interesting this assumption - might want to wait until the criminal has actually been identified. Bottom line - the farmer and his wife had done nothing wrong to deserve a potential lethal attack.
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

Fancy wrote:
Brass Monkey wrote:The Canadian government is responsible, through harsh forcible assimilation these people forgot how to survive in the winters....
Interesting this assumption - might want to wait until the criminal has actually been identified. Bottom line - the farmer and his wife had done nothing wrong to deserve a potential lethal attack.

Absolutely, and a situation like this calls for lethal means of self defence.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Brass Monkey wrote:Absolutely, and a situation like this calls for lethal means of self defence.

A farmer and his wife inside their own home being shot at might have retaliated with the same lethal means with deadlier consequences - didn't happen though.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Fancy wrote:A lot of FN people take responsibility for themselves and go on to make something of themselves. Those doing drugs and stealing are taking up a lot of jail space.

Sadly, many of them were products of the Residential Schools. Just where would they be if they were not helped?

I have a Brother-in-law I speak very highly of, he said it was a blessing or he would still be on the reserve drinking beer with his brothers, He is actually employed with the Federal Government working a a area of corrections with the Indiginous.

Return to “Canada”