Fingerprint screening for doctors

Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Fingerprint screening for doctors

Post by Bigjohn69 »

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/brit ... -1.4539413

The B.C. Civil Liberties Association and Doctors of B.C. are raising concerns after a physician was told he had to be fingerprinted to prove he wasn't a sex offender with a similar identity.

Dr. Joseph Copeland said he was told that if he refused, he would face professional sanctions, including the loss of his right to practise medicine.

Copeland believes he'll soon have company.

Did not see any broadcasts of this change until now.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Fingerprint screening for doctors

Post by rustled »

Bigjohn69 wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-fingerprinting-doctors-1.4539413

The B.C. Civil Liberties Association and Doctors of B.C. are raising concerns after a physician was told he had to be fingerprinted to prove he wasn't a sex offender with a similar identity.

Dr. Joseph Copeland said he was told that if he refused, he would face professional sanctions, including the loss of his right to practise medicine.

Copeland believes he'll soon have company.

Did not see any broadcasts of this change until now.

He needs to get over himself. Ordinary, honest people sometimes get fingerprinted related to their work or volunteer activities. He's not all that special. If he can make the time to whinge to reporters, he can make the time to get the fingerprinting done.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Hmmmm. If they won't consent to a proper finger print process, maybe the police can go undercover at prostate exams and have the inside of their nether regions dusted for prints after an exam?

Just a thought.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Surely there's another way for this man to prove he's not the sex offender who has the same name? What about references from people who've known him for years? Past employers? I find it hard to believe that there isn't some way for this man to prove his identity other than providing his fingerprints.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

In all seriousness, he should just give samples of his fingerprints. It isn't hard to do and it satisfies the request.

It's not a big deal. People do it all the time for employment, volunteering, Child Care etc.

My wife went through this with a person of the same name and DOB. She was fingerprinted and problem solved.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Many years ago when I applied to join the Military I had to be fingerprinted to verify that I had no criminal record.

This guy needs to get over himself or he has something to hide.
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Years ago I had to be at potentially be at my kids daycare for extended period due to a health issue, due to the time potentially stayed there they required a criminal check from me as it was over the allowable drop off/pick up type of time.

No fingerprints, but I would have done that as well. IT wasn't about me, it was about the best care for the others.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

My wife looked into volunteering at KGH and I think it required a criminal check.
So if a volunteer needs one then why not a Doctor?
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Bsuds wrote:My wife looked into volunteering at KGH and I think it required a criminal check.

sigh

the point isn't that he now needs a CRC, it's that he is needing to be finger printed which is sometimes needed to prove you identify, say your name is Adam Smith. I'm sure there is a rapist adam smith out there somewhere so anyone with that name will need fingerprints.

I'm completely on the side of the dr though.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

gman313 wrote:I'm completely on the side of the dr though.

So you would be willing to take the chance (slim as it is) that he is the rapist when a relatively simple fingerprinting can remove any doubt?
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

You would think someone his age and educated would realize the purpose of clearing his name.
I do hope he wakes up, could you imagine if he was and he victimized some child before it came to light.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

gman313 wrote:
Bsuds wrote:My wife looked into volunteering at KGH and I think it required a criminal check.

sigh

the point isn't that he now needs a CRC, it's that he is needing to be finger printed which is sometimes needed to prove you identify, say your name is Adam Smith. I'm sure there is a rapist adam smith out there somewhere so anyone with that name will need fingerprints.

I'm completely on the side of the dr though.

This is what everyone said about the Dr. who abused gymnasts for decades. They were wrong. A doctor would never.....oh wait, hundreds of victims and dozens of complicit adults all around him.

Sorry gman, I can't find an up side to venerating doctors right now.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Canada”