'Science is being ignored': prominent Alberta professor side

CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

'Science is being ignored': prominent Alberta professor side

Post by CapitalB »

'Science is being ignored': prominent Alberta professor sides with B.C. on pipeline

He mentioned a Royal Society of Canada study from 2015 that lays out the unknowns when it comes to the transport of bitumen and said that many of the issues raised then have still not been addressed.

In particular, he said, he is concerned with oil spills during colder months.

"We still don't know how to get bitumen out from under the ice," he said. "If it goes in to one of the major salmon rivers crossing B.C., we will just sit by and helplessly watch it go downstream."
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: 'Science is being ignored': prominent Alberta professor

Post by CapitalB »

A lot of people just flatley believe that economy trumps science, always. I know thats probably not technically correct but as we go through and people consistently disparage the sciency side of the debate its hard not call it as I see it.

Anyway, its really unfortunate that we can't at the very least just clear up these types of concerns. I'd even be fine with them just figuring it out while the pipelines under construction. I mean its going to take years anyway, may as well spend the time making sure we're ready for the worst case scenario.

(As unlikely as you think the worst case may be, still good to be prepared)
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I'm all for dotting the i's and crossing the t's, however I can't help but ask, don't those concerns already exist, and have for all the time the existing pipeline has been in place?

For example oil getting under the ice is mentioned, is that not already a concern?

Any contamination of Salmon rivers would naturally be a huge problem, but then again I believe studies have proven that pipelines are safer than rail.

I don't believe the fish at risk, care whether the contaminant hits the water via pipeline, or derailed tanker car, which is far more likely.

I don't think anyone has suggested the transport of oil is without risk, however I believe sometimes the information is presented, in an overly dramatic alarmist fashion, to support one side of the equation, in a more biased manner than the other.

Also CapitalB it's been posted already elsewhere (not positive where before you ask) that issues such as what you mention have already been addressed.
Namely this pipeline is designed to be state of the art, and a better design than anything the US has ever seen. I recall mention of shutoff valves placed on either side of river crossings, with the ability to be remotely closed via computer monitoring, in the event of a problem.

This alone is already leaps and bounds better than the past, where if something happened someone would have to jump into a truck and race to the location in order to manually close a valve.

Many many concerns have been addressed by the design of the new pipeline.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

CapitalB wrote:A lot of people just flatley believe that economy trumps science, always. )

Just like a lot of people "flately" (sic) believe that stupidly fear-mongering makes them environmentalists. It just makes them look stupid.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

The 'concern' of an econaut is not my science, or statistical probability. I side with Alberta on this one.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Old Techie wrote:
Also CapitalB it's been posted already elsewhere (not positive where before you ask) that issues such as what you mention have already been addressed.
Namely this pipeline is designed to be state of the art, and a better design than anything the US has ever seen. I recall mention of shutoff valves placed on either side of river crossings, with the ability to be remotely closed via computer monitoring, in the event of a problem.

The issues I specifically quoted though were related to transportation spills. There has apparently not been a whole lot of research done into diluted bitumens lifespan in water, which to my understanding is a fair bit different than crude oil because of the chemicals were diluting it with. Other than that and plans for handling a spill near sea ice it mostly seems like there are just a few empty spots here and there in regulations and preparedness. The federal government seems to have that mostly under control however, at least so far as however many millions of dollars of funding they have earmarked for research. I'd say my biggest concern in that department is just that some good ol canadian bureaucracy will somehow make that take longer than construction.

The pipeline itself seems to be pretty well regulated and I really don't have a problem with the land portion of the journey. I don't have a problem with it going through burnaby, there really isn't anywhere else to send it and that area is already mostly set up. I don't even think a big spill is likely to happen, though there are quite a few tanker accidents around china I don't think we'll be getting near as much traffic as they do, so not likely but not impossible.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Jlabute wrote:The 'concern' of an econaut is not my science, or statistical probability. I side with Alberta on this one.

Is that like an astronaut?
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

CapitalB wrote:
Jlabute wrote:The 'concern' of an econaut is not my science, or statistical probability. I side with Alberta on this one.

Is that like an astronaut?

lol. I was going to say eco-nut but I had a spell of niceness come over me for a stranger. Yes, it is like astronaut.lol
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.

Return to “Canada”