Paid leave for fathers? Already exists thanks.

Veovis
Guru

Paid leave for fathers? Already exists thanks.

Post by Veovis »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#219324

I know for a fact I took off paid time when my children were born, I'm wonder what scam this is all about. On the surface it sounds like the NDP daycare plan federally which was simply a bribe to Quebec to move the funds they use provincially for their private plans to a federally taxpayer funded method.

Parental leave already exists, fathers can already use it, lets leave it at that thanks and stop pretending we are "making something better" when it's a move to slide a few million under the table to the needy step brother of provinces.
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Paid leave for fathers? Already exists thanks.

Post by Jlabute »

Your paternity leave was paid by EI, or another insurer? If EI is offering 55% coverage (70% only if you're in Quebec), fathers are thinking that they can't afford to take the time off, and just let the mother take maternity leave. I think in the link JT is planning on replicating Quebec's plan across the nation, offering 70% in all provinces. This would be better in the respect that fathers may be able to cope at a 70% level and actually take time off? Coming from JT, I too am concerned if something is underhanded here.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Veovis
Guru

Re: Paid leave for fathers? Already exists thanks.

Post by Veovis »

Jlabute wrote:Your paternity leave was paid by EI, or another insurer? If EI is offering 55% coverage (70% only if you're in Quebec), fathers are thinking that they can't afford to take the time off, and just let the mother take maternity leave. I think in the link JT is planning on replicating Quebec's plan across the nation, offering 70% in all provinces. This would be better in the respect that fathers may be able to cope at a 70% level and actually take time off? Coming from JT, I too am concerned if something is underhanded here.

The system isn't broken, or that hard to manage.

"I can't afford a little time with my kid" is a sad cop out in my opinion 15% is not going to be material for those who say they can't hack it, so I don't buy the "reason". We had to adjust out spending each kid and re-budget. The neat part of this plan is it's another attempt to write cheques and funnel money to Quebec in the name of "helping everyone else".

If it was poker JT would fast be dinged for "chip dumping", sadly this isn't a game though and is just BS political embezzlement and bribery in my view. Quebec keeps creating these HUGE cost overrun social ideas then tries to get the Feds to pick up the tab. I don't support that type of behaviour same as I wouldn't support my neighbour buying 2 quads, a boat, big white condo, and a new car then complaining that it's his boss not paying him enough why times are tight.

Return to “Canada”