Canadian Schools are Teaching PC Lies to Students

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Canadian Schools are Teaching PC Lies to Students

Post by Glacier »

Deliberately twisting the past to make our history seem worse that it really was poses a serious threat to the twin causes of truth and reconciliation.

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/guilt-o ... -in-canada
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Canadian Schools are Teaching PC Lies to Students

Post by CapitalB »

I don't know if the book hyperbolizing its story really counts as lies. I mean those things did happen, maybe not to that person in that place but they did happen to thousands of people in thousands of places across canada. It is unfortunate that we don't have an entirely true story to draw from but that kind of detailed accounting of such events is supremely rare.

Also the book itself is just being used as a teaching aid, there are already loads of textbooks going into the plentiful details of how we (canadians) systematically destroyed the culture of multiple distinct groups of people. Then basically criminalized, and segregated them to this day. By which I don't mean they shouldn't have land reserves, but tying many of the government benefits they receive to living on one really encourages the creation of separate societies. Double that for the general handing off of civil infrastructure and services to the local bands with little to no government oversight. This has not worked out well and for obvious reason. The government just dumped some land and a bunch of money on groups of people and decided the problem was solved.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

One of my childhood friends had a bad habit of bringing everyone down by needlessly interjecting “God, I hate being an Indian.” I usually came back with “Don’t be silly. We all have good reasons to hate being what and who we are. Your reasons are no better or worse than anyone else’s.”

Now, many whites have become just as silly as my friend. What makes people so eager to debase themselves?
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

I am all for telling the truth, but I feel duped when I am emotionally manipulated by a supposed injustice and then find out after the fact that said event never happened.

Such was the case when I watched both the movie "The Hurricane" and "Hidden Figures". I felt so angry while watching both movies at the injustices the characters suffered, only to find out within a few minutes of reading that the evil white cop who supposedly framed the Hurricane never existed, and that the whole concept of the main character in Hidden Figures having to run to her "colored bathroom" all day because she wasn't allowed to use the "white" bath-room was also totally invented and never happened.

I don't understand why these lies have to be cooked up in supposed "true" stories, other than I guess to make money, as they make me question everything I am told, and I hate that. I hate that people lie to sell a narrative. I would hope others begin questioning everything they are told as well. Maybe that's a good thing?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Post by Bigjohn69 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katherine_Johnson

Johnson and the other African-American women in the computing pool were required to work, eat, and use restrooms that were separate from those of their white peers. Their office was labeled as "Colored Computers". In an interview with WHRO-TV, Johnson stated that she "didn't feel the segregation at NASA, because everybody there was doing research. You had a mission and you worked on it, and it was important to you to do your job ... and play bridge at lunch." She added: "I didn't feel any segregation. I knew it was there, but I didn't feel it."[19]

NACA disbanded the colored computing pool in 1958 when it was superseded by NASA, which adopted digital computers. The installation was desegregated.[18] Society's discrimination against women had not yet ended, however. Johnson recalled that era:
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Bigjohn69 wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katherine_Johnson

Johnson and the other African-American women in the computing pool were required to work, eat, and use restrooms that were separate from those of their white peers. Their office was labeled as "Colored Computers". In an interview with WHRO-TV, Johnson stated that she "didn't feel the segregation at NASA, because everybody there was doing research. You had a mission and you worked on it, and it was important to you to do your job ... and play bridge at lunch." She added: "I didn't feel any segregation. I knew it was there, but I didn't feel it."[19]

NACA disbanded the colored computing pool in 1958 when it was superseded by NASA, which adopted digital computers. The installation was desegregated.[18] Society's discrimination against women had not yet ended, however. Johnson recalled that era:

Reading the rest of the info at the link, it sounds like she faced down a lot more segregation as a woman than she did as a woman of colour. She was quite the trail-blazer. Thanks for sharing this link.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Glacier wrote:Deliberately twisting the past to make our history seem worse that it really was poses a serious threat to the twin causes of truth and reconciliation.

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/guilt-o ... -in-canada

yup the whole thing is a joke, pretty sick if you ask me
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

It's all part of raising a generation of binary thinkers.

It's easy to figure things out when one person's good and the other's bad, when one ideology is right and the other is wrong, when one course of action is perfect while any other course of action is stupid. Social media seems to be compounding this "black and white" laziness.

It's reprehensible, IMO, for schools to actively engage in this. The best teachers I had said "Don't take my word for this. Don't take the textbook's word for this. Question everything." From the looks of things, that's no longer happening, and now we have a generation of teachers who have been raised not to question the teaching materials they're supplied with, and are unable to pass the ability to question along to their students.

So we get oversimplified versions of our complex and multifaceted history, and people accept oversimplified explanations for the complex problems we face today, and people support oversimplified solutions to complex problems without questioning the likelihood of success.

Life is complex, and it takes critical thinking skills to recognize the many shades of grey.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Bigjohn69 wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katherine_Johnson

Yes, not to take away from what Katherine Johnson accomplished, for sure. She was an amazing woman. Still is, as she is still alive as far as I know.

One of the storylines in “Hidden Figures” centers around a bathroom. Math genius Katherine Johnson, played by Taraji P. Henson, is transferred to a new building, where there are no bathrooms for black women. So every time she needs to relieve herself, she has to run across the campus to a building with a “Colored” bathroom.

Her white boss, played by Kevin Costner, discovers this only when Johnson returns to her desk from a bathroom break, drenched after running for half an hour in the rain. He is aghast, apparently having been unaware racism was taking place under his nose. So he picks up a crowbar, heads to the bathroom, and smashes the Colored Ladies Room sign. Then, as a crowd of black women look on, he delivers a powerful, funny rejection of Jim Crow segregation: “No more colored restrooms. No more white restrooms…. Here at NASA, we all pee the same color.”

It’s a brilliant, dramatic scene. It also never happened.

The film is based on a book written by Margot Lee Shetterly, which is itself based on interviews with the actual black women who worked at the Langley Research Center. The book states very clearly that Johnson “refused to so much as enter the Colored bathrooms,” and that nobody ever tried to make her do so.

To confirm this, I asked Johnson if she used the Colored bathrooms. “I just went on in the white one,” she said.

https://news.vice.com/en_ca/article/d3x ... have-to-be
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

Over 6000 FN children died in Canadian residential schools, while some details of Wenjacks demise and the reason for it aren't totally clear it still stands that the Canadian government provided funding to dozens of churches that were given the task of assimilating these children. Canada is one of the only countries in the world where it was national policy to forcibly assimilate the indigenous population. Don't weep for a few exaggerated tales making it through, weep for the thousands of stories we will never get to hear. Our current euro-centric public education curriculum leaves out a lot of the necessary details surrounding our nations history.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

There are lots of black marks in our history, without having to invent a few more just to make a point. In fact, as soon as you start embellishing, and then get caught, it makes the truth appear questionable to many folks. So playing "fast and loose" with historical facts can ultimately end up hurting rather than helping.

We do need to teach more Canadian history in our schools; not a whitewashed version, and not a version that has been embellished for purely political reasons, but the simple facts about what really happened.

We also need to teach our kids to be more questioning of what they are being told, whether it be via the schools or on social media, and to always check the facts by whatever means possible. And, as rustled pointed out, history (and life in general) tends to be many shades of grey, as opposed to simple black and white; kids need to be made aware of that.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The post modernist philosophy on history is that narrative trumps facts every time. It doesn't matter if the story is actually true or not, but rather, that it tells the correct narrative.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Brass Monkey wrote:Over 6000 FN children died in Canadian residential schools, while some details of Wenjacks demise and the reason for it aren't totally clear it still stands that the Canadian government provided funding to dozens of churches that were given the task of assimilating these children. Canada is one of the only countries in the world where it was national policy to forcibly assimilate the indigenous population. Don't weep for a few exaggerated tales making it through, weep for the thousands of stories we will never get to hear. Our current euro-centric public education curriculum leaves out a lot of the necessary details surrounding our nations history.

o my https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... stice-tuam
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

As some famous person once said;(???)
"Don't believe me, look it up."

This rings true, and is more important now, than ever before
in History.

It's what I tell many people, including those most important to me.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Post by Bigjohn69 »

The post at the top of the thread is based on a book that fully admits being a work of fiction so the article is taking a apple and making it a orange . The true case played out in a courtroom. Facts are known and researchable.Gords version is based on the facts as that school admited sexual abuse took place their and said so in a official capacity .

There is nothing to debate .

Return to “Canada”