2018 Budget

Postby gman313 » Feb 27th, 2018, 3:50 pm

disappointed we can't balance the books. sad
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1066 posts

Re: 2018 Budget

Postby CapitalB » Feb 27th, 2018, 3:54 pm

Neither can our neighbor but they seem to be doing ok. Which raises the question, if the most powerful/successful countries on the planet have runaway out of control national debt, does a balanced budget really matter?
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 482 posts

Postby GordonH » Feb 27th, 2018, 3:56 pm

Wondering what interest payments are on a debt of 651 billion, most likely a huge chunk out of the revenue being collected.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.

Merry likes this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6996 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby justincase » Feb 27th, 2018, 4:00 pm

The NDP campaigned in 2015 on balancing the budget. The Conservatives campaigned in 2015 on balancing the budget. The Liberals campaigned on running deficits and growing the economy.

FAST FORWARD TO 2018:

Fastest-growing economy in G-7!
Lowest unemployment in decades!
Best tourism year EVER!
1) People forget conservatives used to be fiscally conservative. After harper, they have become fiscally liberal and socially racist. Fascism is the only thing they wish to conserve.

3 people like this post.
justincase
Board Meister

Liked in: 111 posts

Postby christopher » Feb 27th, 2018, 4:36 pm

GordonH wrote:Wondering what interest payments are on a debt of 651 billion, most likely a huge chunk out of the revenue being collected.

No worries when they finish ripping the carbon tax money from us they will have lots of money
christopher
Fledgling

Liked in: 213 posts

Postby Glacier » Feb 27th, 2018, 4:36 pm

Andrew Coyne: The Liberals deliver a federal budget that has nothing to do with budgeting, or the economy

This is a budget that is much more about equality than it is growth. That, and pandering to every conceivable Liberal client group and policy cult

Once upon a time the federal budget was about the budget of the federal government. It was an annual opportunity for Parliament and the public to examine the federal government’s program of expenses and revenues for the coming fiscal year.

As time went on, it became more and more about economic growth, and the ways in which government is supposed to influence it. To the language of accounting, then, was added the language of economics.

All that is now in the past. With this installment the federal budget has reached the final stage of transformation. It is now about virtually everything else except spending or taxing or the economy. Economic analysis, in particular, is not only noticeably absent but in places explicitly abolished. What is more, it proposes to make this approach permanent.

3 people like this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 9238 posts

Postby Ken7 » Feb 27th, 2018, 5:03 pm

gman313 wrote:disappointed we can't balance the books. sad

You must be a Liberal Supporter, anyone who thought for a moment that Trudeau could balance anything is somewhat foolish.

blueliner likes this post.
Ken7
Guru

Liked in: 2472 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Feb 27th, 2018, 5:08 pm

CapitalB wrote:Neither can our neighbor but they seem to be doing ok. Which raises the question, if the most powerful/successful countries on the planet have runaway out of control national debt, does a balanced budget really matter?

It shouldn't, when you have countries like the USA, just printing more money whenever they need it.

I mean they owe the Chinese so much money, I'm surprised it hasn't been renamed China West yet. :biggrin:
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 5505 posts

Postby CapitalB » Feb 27th, 2018, 5:22 pm

Old Techie wrote:It shouldn't, when you have countries like the USA, just printing more money whenever they need it.

I mean they owe the Chinese so much money, I'm surprised it hasn't been renamed China West yet. :biggrin:

Which I find extra funny considering that china finances most of their own debt through state owned banks and then kind of launders it out of existence over decades. As shady as it sounds it seems to be working out for them pretty well. Between their debt and the other countries debt they own they've managed to make some kind of debt economy.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby lensbaby » Feb 27th, 2018, 5:49 pm

Legalizing pot has probably been his secret weapon to dig them out of the deficit hole all along.
lensbaby

Liked in: 79 posts

Postby CapitalB » Feb 27th, 2018, 5:51 pm

lensbaby wrote:Legalizing pot has probably been his secret weapon to dig them out of the deficit hole all along.

I can't wait for that to finally happen. Mostly just so I don't have to see the city and provincial reps whinging about how hard and expensive it is / is going to be to legalize. I'm pretty confident in my belief that piles of money will soon shut them right up.

Merry likes this post.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby Ka-El » Feb 27th, 2018, 5:56 pm

CapitalB wrote: I can't wait for that to finally happen.

Once it gets past that group of Conservative Senate members practicing their mantra of "if it's broke don't fix it"
While the research shows that people with right-wing views tend to be less intelligent than those with left-wing views,
the continued excuse-making and support for Donald Trump indicates researchers have underestimated by how much.
Ka-El
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4162 posts

Postby Walking Wounded » Feb 27th, 2018, 5:58 pm

Ken7 wrote:
gman313 wrote:disappointed we can't balance the books. sad

You must be a Liberal Supporter, anyone who thought for a moment that Trudeau could balance anything is somewhat foolish.

I'll bet he could balance a beach ball on his nose, he is a trained seal after all.

2 people like this post.
Walking Wounded
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 1489 posts

Postby Smurf » Feb 27th, 2018, 8:53 pm

But is he a competent seal.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Smurf
Guru

Liked in: 5366 posts

Postby Ken7 » Feb 27th, 2018, 8:57 pm

lensbaby wrote:Legalizing pot has probably been his secret weapon to dig them out of the deficit hole all along.

If you think that will work..not a chance!
Ken7
Guru

Liked in: 2472 posts

Next

Return to Canada