Canada’s first ‘dementia village’ is set to open

Canada’s first ‘dementia village’ is set to open

Postby oneh2obabe » Feb 28th, 2018, 5:20 pm

Canada’s first community designed specifically for people with dementia is opening next year in Langley.

It’s called The Village. Comprised of six, single-storey cottage-style homes and a community centre, The Village will be home to 78 people with dementia, an umbrella term that includes people suffering from Alzheimer’s and other degenerative brain diseases associated with aging. Care will be provided by 72 specially trained staff.

Project leader Elroy Jespersen said The Village’s design was inspired by Hogeweyk, the world’s first dementia village, in The Netherlands.

Jespersen, the vice-president of special projects for Verve Senior Living, said The Village builds on the other assisted- and extended-care communities he has developed during the past 29 years.

Full article
http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/can ... -next-year
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Feb 28th, 2018, 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd
 
Posts: 57388
Likes: 794 posts
Liked in: 6199 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 8:19 am

Re: Canada’s first ‘dementia village’ is set to open

Postby Jlabute » Feb 28th, 2018, 5:54 pm

$6000 to $7500/month. What you’d pay for a top class full time residential home care anywhere. Independent living is about 1/2 that in other places and can accommodate various dementia residents. So, I suppose this new facility is where you can spend the big bux sooner on a 5 Star living.
I do diligence and sometimes diligence does me.
User avatar
Jlabute
Übergod
 
Posts: 1935
Likes: 1018 posts
Liked in: 1231 posts
Joined: Jan 18th, 2009, 1:08 pm

Re: Canada’s first ‘dementia village’ is set to open

Postby justincase » Mar 1st, 2018, 11:56 am

Jlabute wrote:$6000 to $7500/month. What you’d pay for a top class full time residential home care anywhere. Independent living is about 1/2 that in other places and can accommodate various dementia residents. So, I suppose this new facility is where you can spend the big bux sooner on a 5 Star living.


Dementia care is VERY expensive everywhere in any place. Dementia residents can be violent, strikeout unexpectedly without provocation putting fellow residents as well as care provides at EXTREME risk!
1) People forget conservatives used to be fiscally conservative. After harper, they have become fiscally liberal and socially racist. Fascism is the only thing they wish to conserve.
User avatar
justincase
Board Meister
 
Posts: 366
Likes: 99 posts
Liked in: 112 posts
Joined: Jan 19th, 2009, 12:27 pm

Re: Canada’s first ‘dementia village’ is set to open

Postby Jlabute » Mar 4th, 2018, 8:29 am

justincase wrote:
Jlabute wrote:$6000 to $7500/month. What you’d pay for a top class full time residential home care anywhere. Independent living is about 1/2 that in other places and can accommodate various dementia residents. So, I suppose this new facility is where you can spend the big bux sooner on a 5 Star living.


Dementia care is VERY expensive everywhere in any place. Dementia residents can be violent, strikeout unexpectedly without provocation putting fellow residents as well as care provides at EXTREME risk!


Dementia is not a binary switch, there are various types and levels of dementia. Most places, everywhere have dementia residents living in independent living quarters which is less than 1/2 the price. The above facility provides 24h care in a less risky environment for resident and worker. Of course, I am not saying it’s right, but independent living is manageable and affordable for those who have no subsidy, and it is what many facilities allow depending on the risk level.
I do diligence and sometimes diligence does me.
User avatar
Jlabute
Übergod
 
Posts: 1935
Likes: 1018 posts
Liked in: 1231 posts
Joined: Jan 18th, 2009, 1:08 pm

Re: Canada’s first ‘dementia village’ is set to open

Postby Queen K » Mar 4th, 2018, 8:39 am

Jlabute wrote:
Dementia is not a binary switch, there are various types and levels of dementia. Most places, everywhere have dementia residents living in independent living quarters which is less than 1/2 the price. The above facility provides 24h care in a less risky environment for resident and worker. Of course, I am not saying it’s right, but independent living is manageable and affordable for those who have no subsidy, and it is what many facilities allow depending on the risk level.


Yes, that is it precisely. Many Independent living resort-type seniors living companies allow a certain clientale live in their buidlings as long as the risk-level is managable and poses no threat to staff, other residents or the building itself.

^^ Can not emphasize that enough.

And yes, professionals moniter the risk levels at all times once IH is involved, as in providing daily care using homesupport which is Clinician RN directed care.

And many criteria are used to gauge risk, including family involvement, statements reported back to the Clinician and "other."

Other being private conversations about wandering, incidents and statements made to those who doing the care.

Trust me when I say this: there simply is NOT enough dementia care units to place people in before they become truly dangerous to themselves.

A facility like the one opening in Langley is wonderful and should take pressures off of bed availiblity in other facilities. It also represents the difference between the truly wealthy in this country at those prices. But then, what doesn't?
Could it be that a whole life can shift the day one starts telling the truth about what makes one happy?
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 54171
Likes: 12804 posts
Liked in: 13507 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:39 am
Location: What? You mean here?


Return to Canada

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest