Feds eye tougher gun laws

Re: Feds eye tougher gun laws

Postby techrtr » Mar 8th, 2018, 3:01 pm

CapitalB wrote:I feel like these posts have a tendency to oversimplify people into criminals and not criminals. Of course hardened organized criminals are going to find guns regardless of the laws. I think there's a bit of a gradient in between those two points. There are going to be all sorts of faux criminals, potential criminals, and stupid people making bad decisions in this gradient zone.

The majority of people killed by firearms in Canada are killed by someone they know e.g. family member during a domestic dispute. The so called "criminals" that gun control opponents talk about don't typically run around killing random people. You're much more likely to be killed by your brother. So, even though guns do fall into the wrong hands, I'm not about the arm myself in case some goof with a gun picks me at random.

CapitalB likes this post.
techrtr
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 923 posts

Postby Jflem1983 » Mar 8th, 2018, 3:11 pm

techrtr wrote:
CapitalB wrote:I feel like these posts have a tendency to oversimplify people into criminals and not criminals. Of course hardened organized criminals are going to find guns regardless of the laws. I think there's a bit of a gradient in between those two points. There are going to be all sorts of faux criminals, potential criminals, and stupid people making bad decisions in this gradient zone.

The majority of people killed by firearms in Canada are killed by someone they know e.g. family member during a domestic dispute. The so called "criminals" that gun control opponents talk about don't typically run around killing random people. You're much more likely to be killed by your brother. So, even though guns do fall into the wrong hands, I'm not about the arm myself in case some goof with a gun picks me at random.

Most gun shot victims. Far and away are suicides. Its like 80 percent.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2371 posts

Postby CapitalB » Mar 8th, 2018, 4:56 pm

Jflem1983 wrote:

Thats one of those stats that gets lots too easily. Like how more American soldiers kill themselves than die in combat.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 482 posts

Postby Jflem1983 » Mar 8th, 2018, 5:42 pm

CapitalB wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:

Thats one of those stats that gets lots too easily. Like how more American soldiers kill themselves than die in combat.

Well the suicide stat is for Canada. It is one of the main points they drive home when u take your PAL
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2371 posts

Postby Blindeyes2020 » Mar 8th, 2018, 5:53 pm

If people don't want guns or like them fine, but why should other people tell me i can't have my hobby. I don't like baseball or baseball bats it doesn't mean i think it should be band. Terrorists used cars not long ago to run over people in a crowd. I Don't like that so we better ban cars.
If people want to be victims be one, those people shouldn't be able to make me one. We should be more like the U.S. and law abiding citizens should be able to arm and defend ourselves. It is obvious we don't all follow the same laws in life.

Jflem1983 likes this post.
Blindeyes2020

Liked in: 19 posts

Postby rustled » Mar 9th, 2018, 10:30 am

Blindeyes2020 wrote:If people don't want guns or like them fine, but why should other people tell me i can't have my hobby. I don't like baseball or baseball bats it doesn't mean i think it should be band. Terrorists used cars not long ago to run over people in a crowd. I Don't like that so we better ban cars.
If people want to be victims be one, those people shouldn't be able to make me one. We should be more like the U.S. and law abiding citizens should be able to arm and defend ourselves. It is obvious we don't all follow the same laws in life.

Some hobbies are not allowed, period. For example, people who really enjoy working with explosives don't get to call it a hobby so they can indulge themselves in residential neighbourhoods. Reasonable precautions to ensure people and property are not at unreasonable risk.

Others are allowed with reasonably prudent restrictions. For example, you don't get to play baseball on the street outside people's homes. (Hockey, yes. This is Canada, after all!) Reasonable precautions to ensure people and property are not at unreasonable risk.

In Canada, most of us get to own many kinds of firearms and many kinds of ammunition, whether we need them or simply enjoy them as a hobby. And once again there are, as expected, reasonable precautions to ensure people and property are not at unreasonable risk.

IMO, it makes absolutely no sense to push for what they have in the US, knowing full that this will simply make it all about extremes (arming terrorists versus disarming the nation). Let's keep that comfortable middle ground, where people are welcome to enjoy their firearms and ammunition with the reasonable precautions we already have in place.
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 5955 posts

Postby Blindeyes2020 » Mar 9th, 2018, 6:09 pm

*removed* I just saw someone attacked a lady with a sword. All you anti's better ask for stricter sword laws so we can put a stop to that.
Last edited by ferri on Mar 9th, 2018, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic

Blindeyes2020

Postby Blindeyes2020 » Mar 9th, 2018, 6:13 pm

*removed* Maybe if your scared of the world you need to lock yourself inside. Comfortable ground so what you can have everything your way as usual. Thats the problem with Canada today, some people have had it to comfortabke for too long.
Last edited by ferri on Mar 9th, 2018, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal

Blindeyes2020

Postby rustled » Mar 10th, 2018, 10:50 am

^^ It's just plain weird that you want to get all up in arms (little pun there) at those of us who are okay with you keeping your weapons without further restrictions.

If gun owners keep hurling angry over-the-top responses at those of us who are NOT asking for more firearms restrictions, maybe some readers who don't mind the status quo might have second thoughts. Just sayin'.
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 5955 posts

Postby JLives » Mar 10th, 2018, 1:28 pm

What we need to do with our gun laws is absolutely nothing. We have found a good balance between freedom and regulation already.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

5 people like this post.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5598 posts

Postby Blindeyes2020 » Mar 10th, 2018, 3:20 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 12th, 2018, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Blindeyes2020

Postby puterbrother » Mar 12th, 2018, 11:16 am

Brass Monkey ?
You have a rpal ? Doesn't sound like it.You then know full well how far you have to bend over to get a liscence in this country.I would venture that we get more screening than the so called "immigrants" do. Gun owners are treated like second class citizens.Every time some lunatic kills somebody with a gun we all take a hit.Curious how the Feds roll out new gun laws after a mass shooting event,even though it's in another country.
And…legally owned guns are never "in circulation" as you put it and the number of guns legally owned should not be a concern either.Key word here is legal !
CapitalB…
Potential criminals ? Oh,you mean like all legal gun owners ! Ya…got it !
Rustled…
I've travelled the U.S. a fair bit,in the past,especially down Kentucky,Texas way.Sat beside people at the counter of several café's and knew they were armed.Great people,every one of them.Quiet,respectful,engaging in conversation.Took me a while to get over my nervousness though until I realized that all the media stories about the states being the "wild west" was a big steaming pile of BS.
I don't think we have a good balance of rights and responsibilities and that is across the board,not just with guns.Our general rights are being eroded day by day.Gun rights,in this country,are the canary in the coalmine.
For example,the "dreaded AR15".Many Semi-Auto rifles fire the exact same ammunition as the AR,can use "high capacity" detachable magazines like the AR and…some even look very similar to the AR15.These rifles have been around for decades yet the AR15 is restricted.It hasn't always been restricted.So what's going on ? Leaves me with a big ??????

2 people like this post.
puterbrother

Liked in: 38 posts

Postby Blindeyes2020 » Mar 13th, 2018, 8:30 am

Puterbrother is right about being second class citizen. People don't realize that the R.C.M.P. also use a citizens RPAL like a punishing tool which they shouldn't. If you get a speeding ticket even though you weren't speeding, as soon as you dispute that ticket they put a review on your RPAL. Which means you now cannot buy ammo or firearms or sell them either. Same as if someone falsely accusses you of something you didn't do they automatically turn to your firearms licence to penalize you. So if you get into something with someone and your both to blame the firearms licence holder loses. They don't take away or "review" the other persons drivers licence.
The best day for us is when they get rid of RCMP and have municiple police and take the licencing power away from them, and i will support that 100%.

KiloHotel likes this post.
Blindeyes2020

Postby Glacier » Mar 13th, 2018, 9:06 am

JLives wrote:What we need to do with our gun laws is absolutely nothing. We have found a good balance between freedom and regulation already.

I think you have it right. While I would like less restrictions on hand guns so that I could take it in the woods, I know that others would like stricter laws and bans, so in the art of compromise, we settle on what we have, and that seems to work. At least I can own handguns if I so choose (and I don't at the moment even though I have a restricted license).
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 9244 posts

Postby Brass Monkey » Mar 13th, 2018, 10:02 am

puterbrother wrote:Brass Monkey ?
You have a rpal ? Doesn't sound like it.You then know full well how far you have to bend over to get a liscence in this country.I would venture that we get more screening than the so called "immigrants" do. Gun owners are treated like second class citizens.Every time some lunatic kills somebody with a gun we all take a hit.Curious how the Feds roll out new gun laws after a mass shooting event,even though it's in another country.
And…legally owned guns are never "in circulation" as you put it and the number of guns legally owned should not be a concern either.Key word here is legal !

I do have my RPAL, it took me about 2 months from the day I challenged the exam to the day I was allowed to pick up my 1911 from the store. It is rightful that we get more screening than any immigrant does, we have a responsibility as firearm owners to uphold and support a fair balance between firearm freedom and reasonable regulations. I don't believe you when you say firearm owners take a hit whenever a lunatic kills someone with a gun, Alexandre Bissonnette killed 6 muslims in a Quebec mosque and he used a Norinco M14/M305 which is still widely available for purchase in Canada to this day for very cheap. Our firearm laws and regulations are largely coordinated by the RCMP who have real experience dealing with gun violence on a daily basis.
Brass Monkey
Fledgling

Liked in: 68 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Canada