More costs to Canadian taxpayers

More costs to Canadian taxpayers

Postby justincase » Mar 8th, 2018, 3:46 pm

When will the rain of pain of the former Conservative government end? Now judge rules that the heavy-handedness of the harper government CRA ruined the lives of Tony and Helen Samaroo and awarded them $1.7 million dollars.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/220429 ... heir-lives
Last edited by ferri on Mar 8th, 2018, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Entire post in color.
1) People forget conservatives used to be fiscally conservative. After harper, they have become fiscally liberal and socially racist. Fascism is the only thing they wish to conserve.
User avatar
justincase
Board Meister
 
Posts: 366
Likes: 94 posts
Liked in: 112 posts
Joined: Jan 19th, 2009, 1:27 pm

Re: More costs to Canadian taxpayers

Postby Glacier » Mar 8th, 2018, 3:50 pm

Wow, $0.05 each! I don't know if I can handle my taxes going up by 5 cents!
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 27679
Likes: 3246 posts
Liked in: 9702 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: More costs to Canadian taxpayers

Postby justincase » Mar 8th, 2018, 4:02 pm

Glacier wrote:Wow, $0.05 each! I don't know if I can handle my taxes going up by 5 cents!


Yet, the conservatives elected just 38% of the time are responsible for 75% of ALL federal government debt EVER!

Watch the debt Clock that you are responsible for...look at the interest spinning the dials!


http://www.debtclock.ca/
1) People forget conservatives used to be fiscally conservative. After harper, they have become fiscally liberal and socially racist. Fascism is the only thing they wish to conserve.
User avatar
justincase
Board Meister
 
Posts: 366
Likes: 94 posts
Liked in: 112 posts
Joined: Jan 19th, 2009, 1:27 pm

Re: More costs to Canadian taxpayers

Postby The Green Barbarian » Mar 8th, 2018, 4:04 pm

Glacier wrote:Wow, $0.05 each! I don't know if I can handle my taxes going up by 5 cents!


how much of my taxes went to pay that murdering terrorist Khadr? Oh right that was supposedly Harper's fault too.
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy. Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
- Winston Churchill

Who's Dimples? Who's the MP for Kelowna? Both interesting questions that are hard to answer.

christopher likes this post.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 28191
Likes: 12245 posts
Liked in: 16188 posts
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: More costs to Canadian taxpayers

Postby Glacier » Mar 8th, 2018, 4:13 pm

justincase wrote:
Glacier wrote:Wow, $0.05 each! I don't know if I can handle my taxes going up by 5 cents!


Yet, the conservatives elected just 38% of the time are responsible for 75% of ALL federal government debt EVER!

Watch the debt Clock that you are responsible for...look at the interest spinning the dials!


http://www.debtclock.ca/

I'm not here to defend the record of conservatives (although, it should be pointed out that there have been both good and bad on both sides. Chretien was good, T1 and now T2 are really, really bad). I know is that 10 million is greater than 1.7 million. Even 10 million is a drop in the bucket, but out of principle, Trudeau shouldn't have settled out of court.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 27679
Likes: 3246 posts
Liked in: 9702 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: MORE COSTS TO CANADIAN TAXPAYERS

Postby generalposter » Mar 8th, 2018, 4:36 pm

justincase wrote: When will the rain of pain of the former Conservative government end? Now judge rules that the heavy-handedness of the harper government CRA ruined the lives of Tony and Helen Samaroo and awarded them $1.7 million dollars.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/220429 ... heir-lives

You’re grasping at straws and besides , any citizens victory over CRA is a victory for all Canadians. Some one has to keep them honest. Is this all you’ve got?
Someone has to say it.

Snman likes this post.
generalposter
Board Meister
 
Posts: 432
Likes: 110 posts
Liked in: 498 posts
Joined: Oct 16th, 2011, 9:49 am

Re: More costs to Canadian taxpayers

Postby justincase » Mar 8th, 2018, 7:32 pm

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Glacier wrote:Wow, $0.05 each! I don't know if I can handle my taxes going up by 5 cents!


how much of my taxes went to pay that murdering terrorist Khadr? Oh right that was supposedly Harper's fault too.


Yes, you get it, harper is exactly the reason why Omar had a case to win.
1) People forget conservatives used to be fiscally conservative. After harper, they have become fiscally liberal and socially racist. Fascism is the only thing they wish to conserve.
User avatar
justincase
Board Meister
 
Posts: 366
Likes: 94 posts
Liked in: 112 posts
Joined: Jan 19th, 2009, 1:27 pm

Re: More costs to Canadian taxpayers

Postby Glacier » Mar 8th, 2018, 7:42 pm

justincase wrote:Yes, you get it, harper is exactly the reason why Omar had a case to win.

You mean Martin? In either case, Khadr didn't have a case. No judge said he did, at least not 10 million dollars worth.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 27679
Likes: 3246 posts
Liked in: 9702 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: More costs to Canadian taxpayers

Postby Snman » Mar 8th, 2018, 7:44 pm

whoops! :runforlife:
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
Snman
Übergod
 
Posts: 1044
Likes: 1154 posts
Liked in: 770 posts
Joined: Aug 6th, 2006, 6:27 am

Re: More costs to Canadian taxpayers

Postby Snman » Mar 8th, 2018, 7:47 pm

how much of my taxes went to pay that murdering terrorist Khadr? Oh right that was supposedly Harper's fault too.[/quote]

Yes, you get it, harper is exactly the reason why Omar had a case to win.[/quote]

Comic relief, and at no cost to Canadian taxpayers. Thank you.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
Snman
Übergod
 
Posts: 1044
Likes: 1154 posts
Liked in: 770 posts
Joined: Aug 6th, 2006, 6:27 am

Re: More costs to Canadian taxpayers

Postby justincase » Mar 9th, 2018, 9:18 am

Snman wrote:how much of my taxes went to pay that murdering terrorist Khadr? Oh right that was supposedly Harper's fault too.


Yes, you get it, harper is exactly the reason why Omar had a case to win.[/quote]

Comic relief, and at no cost to Canadian taxpayers. Thank you.[/quote

I would imagine there would have been ZERO costs had harper brought Omar home when the courts recommended it. So, Now, instead of paying $40 million dollars to Omar, he ended up settling at $10 million. ZERO, would have been much better for everybody, including Omar, don't you think?
1) People forget conservatives used to be fiscally conservative. After harper, they have become fiscally liberal and socially racist. Fascism is the only thing they wish to conserve.

Dawggss likes this post.
User avatar
justincase
Board Meister
 
Posts: 366
Likes: 94 posts
Liked in: 112 posts
Joined: Jan 19th, 2009, 1:27 pm

Re: More costs to Canadian taxpayers

Postby The Green Barbarian » Mar 9th, 2018, 9:50 am

justincase wrote: So, Now, instead of paying $40 million dollars to Omar,


Oh so now it's $40 million. The other SJW's trying to desperately spin this garbage were saying $20 million. Soon it will probably be $50 million and then $100 million. Why not. This is like trying to argue with the anti-Site C lunatics. I get it, math is hard. Thinking is hard.

ZERO, would have been much better for everybody, including Omar, don't you think?


And that's what he would have gotten, had our spineless boy blunder PM had the balls to let this go to trial. Meanwhile, they could have also worked out something such that any monies that were paid to the murdering terrorist were placed in a trust account that could have been accessed by the widow of the US medic that Khadr killed, so at least the money wouldn't be all covered in blood. Paying this terrorist was bad enough, but doing it in secret to screw over that poor widow was the lowest of blows.
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy. Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
- Winston Churchill

Who's Dimples? Who's the MP for Kelowna? Both interesting questions that are hard to answer.

Catsumi likes this post.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 28191
Likes: 12245 posts
Liked in: 16188 posts
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: More costs to Canadian taxpayers

Postby bob vernon » Mar 9th, 2018, 10:04 am

And the key evidence in the Khadr case was Harper and his minion cabinet ministers attitude, and words: "Let him rot in Guantanamo Bay". You might dislike Khadr, and even hold some kind of grudge against him and his entire race and all terrorists, but he was a Canadian citizen, and our government did NOTHING to assist or advise him.

Remember, Khadr was not facing justice in another land. He was being held in Guantanamo Bay, one of the few pieces of land in the world that is outside international law. It's an American military base on the shore of Cuba and they use torture, in violation of the Geneva Convention, and hold prisoners without charge for years. Harper's government "let him rot" without seeking to get him back from the Americans, or even face a trial in an American court, not an illegal court in Guantanamo Bay. He had a case against the Government of Canada and was seeking $40 million. Trudeau offered $10 million when there wasn't a hope in hell for the government to win. And Khadr accepted it.

Yes, it's Harper's fault.

2 people like this post.
bob vernon
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2240
Likes: 8 posts
Liked in: 1232 posts
Joined: Oct 27th, 2008, 10:37 am

Re: More costs to Canadian taxpayers

Postby The Green Barbarian » Mar 9th, 2018, 10:11 am

bob vernon wrote:And the key evidence in the Khadr case was Harper and his minion cabinet ministers attitude, and words: "Let him rot in Guantanamo Bay".


Of course no links. Just more made up garbage.

You might dislike Khadr,


More just about not liking murderers very much.

and even hold some kind of grudge against him


Not really, just didn't like how he secretly was paid $10.5 million. Under the table so the widow of the man he killed couldn't get any of it. So sickening.

and his entire race


LOL - quite a stretch. Like how you lobbed that one in there. What is his "race" by the way? Is this where you say "Islam"?

and all terrorists,


You don't hold a grudge against terrorists who kill innocents? Why not?

but he was a Canadian citizen,


He was a Canadian citizen because his terrorist family used our country and lax immigration rules as a staging ground to launch terrorist actions around the world. That's the part that really gets me. This family didn't come to Canada to live in peace, they used us as a safe haven to plan evil actions. They don't care about Canada, they just cared about killing people. And that's fine, but sorry, you don't get $10.5 million for that.

and our government did NOTHING to assist or advise him.


If that's true, then why is Khadr in Canada now? If they did nothing. Just curious.

Remember, Khadr was not facing justice in another land. He was being held in Guantanamo Bay, one of the few pieces of land in the world that is outside international law.


Yes, we remember. Because he killed a US medic. While on a terrorist base. It's not that hard to understand.

Yes, it's Harper's fault.


It's Harper's fault that somehow, the SJW's weren't happy that Khadr wasn't returned to Canada sooner. It's JT's fault for being a spineless loser and paying him $10.5 million.
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy. Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
- Winston Churchill

Who's Dimples? Who's the MP for Kelowna? Both interesting questions that are hard to answer.

Catsumi likes this post.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 28191
Likes: 12245 posts
Liked in: 16188 posts
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: More costs to Canadian taxpayers

Postby CapitalB » Mar 9th, 2018, 10:42 am

Think what you want about the amount, whether he was truly a child soldier, whether the widow should get anything..... But these are the facts:

He is a Canadian citizen.

He was interrogated and detained with the cooperation and participation of CSIS and the Martin/Chretien governments.

They and the Harper government refused to take active steps to safeguard his rights and/or repatriate him, especially considering he was a minor when this all took place.

Three separate SCC decisions found that his Charter rights were violated by these actions. Despite this, the Harper govt continued to let him rot in Guatanamo and did little to nothing to try and repatriate him.

In 2013, he filed a civil lawsuit against the government for violating his rights. Given the multiple SCC decisions that found his rights were violated, and refusal by both Liberal and Conservative governments to do anything to rectify it, his case is pretty much a slam dunk.

Khadr was seeking $20 million in damages. There are no precedents, so no guarantee he would get the full $20 million. But this is also a pretty extraordinary case of inaction and deliberate violation of civil rights of a citizen by multiple governments. Regardless of what he did or didn't do in the war, he retains his right to due process which was denied him.

So, Trudeau was basically stuck with all this, and faced with the choice of going to trial (which they would almost assuredly lose), with the added risk of legal costs awarded against the government. Trudeau settled (or more likely, lawyers advised him to settle) for $10.5 million rather than go to a trial they will surely lose and have to pay much, much more money.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.

justincase likes this post.
User avatar
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 810
Likes: 368 posts
Liked in: 513 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2017, 12:27 pm

Next

Return to Canada

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], hobbyguy, The Green Barbarian and 0 guests