Ford wins Ontario PC leadership

d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Ford wins Ontario PC leadership

Post by d0nb »

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/o ... ring-issue

Congrats to Doug Ford. As a Westerner, Ontario politics always seem to catch me off guard. :135:
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
whitecandle
Board Meister

Re: Ford wins Ontario PC leadership

Post by whitecandle »

What the hell were they thinking? And his I'm going to rewrite this and that is ridiculous. Rewrite the current sex education curriculum? Great - have a bunch of kids getting their sex education on the streets and in school yards.

Require parental consent for teens seeking an abortion? Won't fly - the Supreme Court of Canada already ruled on that and if Ford thinks he can override their decision, he's more delusional than people think.
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Ya , congrats to Rob's brother.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Time will tell if Mr. Ford will follow in footsteps of Mike Harris & Bill Davis.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

It's hard to understand, what the Ontario PC's were thinking when they elected Doug Ford as their new leader. He was the one that Kathleen Wynne was quietly praying would win -- he's the only one of the four candidates that she has any chance of beating in the next election.

Why wasn't his background more 'front and center' during this race -- his drug dealing in the early 80's? According to the Globe and Mail, not only did he sell drugs on the street, he supplied drugs to other street level drug dealers. Someone at that level must have had a source, which suggests he had contacts with a criminal element who supplied him with the drugs he sold. Or manufacturers/refiners of the drugs he sold. All his siblings were deeply involved in the illicit drug scene. The Ford family were not your average model citizens...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/globe-investigation-the-ford-familys-history-with-drug-dealing/article12153014/

The fact that he has never sued the Globe for slander, suggests that what they reported is true. Otherwise, they'd have answered to Doug Ford in an Ontario court of law.

You can bet that during the next election, Kathleen Wynne's re-election team won't be so faint-hearted about reminding the good citizenry of Ontario about what kind of man Doug Ford is -- a scummy drug dealer with probable past ties to the illicit drug underworld.
Last edited by OldIslander on Mar 11th, 2018, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

After 15 years of the Liberals the people of Ontario, may look for a change.
NDP & Greens are slim chances at best.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

I just had a look at the Angus Reid polls on support for the parties in Ontario. Doug Ford's selection was met with a lot of negativity by possible PC supporter and by soft PC supporters. Only the hard core had positive feelings about Ford. And all PC supporters had better opinions of the other three candidates.

The solution: give Ford a low profile over the next couple of months and hide him during the campaign. Is it possible to do that? I recall the last municipal election in Toronto and he was out front of an apartment building in Toronto, handing out $20 bills. Not buying votes....... just showing that he liked the general public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ckIcOiJyH4
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Here's a video from last year in which Doug Ford takes on grinning idiot and LEAP Manifesto writer Avi Lewis. Avi Lewis is one of the dumbest people in Canada so it wasn't hard to make Doug Ford look good. The ending of video is priceless when Avi actually advocates for stealing all the money the Weston and Thomson families have and "redistributing" it. Basically says he wants to introduce communism into Canada. Just so freaking stupid. Good on Doug Ford though - "poverty pimps" is how he describes people like Avi Lewis. I think he's being too kind.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

I didn’t know that Evan was hosting P&P. He was one of few CBC personalities to ever show the occasional flash of intelligence.

Perhaps out of fear that his plan for execution would be just as mind-numbingly stupid as the idea itself, no one asks fools like Avi to explain exactly how we should go about state-appropriation the assets of the “rich” for distribution to the “poor” without destroying the country.

Doug Ford is right; we need more successful entrepreneurs to expand our economy. What we don’t need is idiot leftist schemes from Avi, Bernie and other 'Pimps for Poverty' (how appropriate) that would only end up reducing everyone to a uniform level of destitution. One Venezuela in the Hemisphere is more than enough.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

d0nb wrote:
Perhaps out of fear that his plan for execution would be just as mind-numbingly stupid as the idea itself, no one asks fools like Avi to explain exactly how we should go about state-appropriation the assets of the “rich” for distribution to the “poor” without destroying the country.

For the state to actually target individual private citizens and to steal all of their wealth, wouldn't this require an amendment to the Constitution? Wouldn't what Avi the grinning idiot is proposing be a complete violation of their basic rights and freedoms, as it would be in any case where the government without provocation and with no real reason, other than "Avi Lewis says so", appropriates their assets? This kind of strategy of "get the rich" might appeal to the lazy, brainless and envious (big core components of the NDP's support base) but I'm not sure how you can justify it in a country with a functioning democracy and a real constitution. Just spit-balling here.

Way to go Doug for telling him off though. I pity Doug in some ways, as these are the kind of idiots he has to deal with in Ontario.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Avi Lewis appears to me to be totally gonzo - no sense of pragmatism, just reading from a little red book. What a disconnected fool. No wonder the NDP are such an unholy mess with people like him around.

Probably doesn't even realize what a divisive figure he is. Given that he has, surprise, never had a real job in his life, the lack of any real connection to the world is quite evident. I just laughed at hois comments about the NDP "moving too far to the center". My gawd man, wake up and smell the roses. Democracy is about consensus, and the center.

That's not to say that Doug Ford is any kind of angel or superstar. He sure had a "soft target" in Avi Lewis, who is a complete idiot. Not hard to look good when the opponent is a complete scatter brained nincompoop.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Funny how it takes Avi to make Ford look good.

Return to “Canada”